Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

If I like Religion, will I like Carnivale?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-20-05, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have always been fascinated with Religion(all different ones). I heard that the show Carnivale deals alot with Religion. Is Religion a huge part of the show, because if so, it looks like something I will want to check out.
Old 02-21-05, 12:06 PM
Banned

giving this a bump
Old 02-21-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan Knauf: executive producer

Ron Moore: executive producer

QUESTION: A question down here in the front for the producers. Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression from just having seen the first three episodes-and I'm sure you'll tell me if I am-but it seems that this show is genuinely interested in religion as more than just a plot device. Am I wrong in that, and if I'm not, what's your take on it?

KNAUF: Well, one of the characters is a minister, but-yeah, I mean think religion is a theme that comes through in it because it was important in the time. And, we're really what we're talking about is hearts and minds and people trying to really gather souls, and you can't do that without some sort of religious subtext.

MOORE: And I think also it's integral to sort of the basic mythos of the show--beyond organized religion, in sort of the minister character, and sort of the more surface aspects of "The Word"--I think the roots of the show are eternal. They are the struggle of light and dark, and good versus evil, and it does examine questions of faith, and it does examine, sort of, the nature of man. It's not afraid of sort of exploring that terrain, which I think is sort of an interesting thing to tackle on television.

KNAUF: And the nature of religion-in that it's inexorably, sort of, it's like a theatrical presentation-whenever you go to a religious service, it has so much in common with theater. And, you know, those connections are going to happen.

"Set among carnival folk travelling through California during the Depression, HBO's new series treats religion like a form of Americana, mixing faith healers and fire-and-brimstone preachers, fortune-tellers and prayer meetings into something resembling a spiritual "Twin Peaks." The two lead characters, a minister and an escaped convict, are tortured men, pulled toward faith by the supernatural powers they possess, but haunted, despite those powers, by doubt."

Last edited by covenant; 02-21-05 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The narration from Ep1 S2 hints that Satan fled to the US after decimating Europe in WW1, and this show is about the final showdown between good and evil, so I would guess that religion plays a big part