Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ER -- "Alone In A Crowd" -- 02.17.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-17-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alone In A Crowd

Spoiler:
When a young mother of three (guest star Cynthia Nixon, "Sex & the City") is brought into the ER with potentially fatal stroke-like symptoms, Kovac (Goran Visnjic) and Sam (Linda Cardellini) race against the odds to save her life. Knowing that a controversial surgical procedure is his wife's only shot at a full recovery, a husband must make the unenviable decision to risk her life in order to save it. Meanwhile, Neela (Parminder Nagra) and Ray (Shane West) discover a dark secret when three ostensibly neglected children show up in the ER. Elsewhere, Carter (Noah Wyle) finds himself in the midst of a love triangle when Wendall's (Madchen Amick) professions of love force him to either cut the ties in Africa or lose her.
Old 02-17-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope this is not as lame as the preveiws make it look.
Old 02-17-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cusm
I hope this is not as lame as the preveiws make it look.
Haven't watched the show since Paul McCrane left, but I did see the previews showing the action from Nixon's (the patient's) p.o.v.
I think M*A*S*H* did the same thing 30 years ago.
Old 02-17-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
anyone else think Sam is creepy as hell in the preview when she bends over and says "are you all right in there?"
the look on her face looks like some sort of torturer with a sadistic sense of humor not someone who is trying to help
Old 02-17-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So far, I've been cracking up at Ellie's thoughts vocalized. It still feels like a surreal episode of "Sex and the City" though. I was waiting for a spicier reaction to the catheter being inserted into the bladder, though...
Old 02-17-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
What are our other options?
Well, I could mind meld with her, but doing that would reveal my true nature and blow my undercover mission
Old 02-17-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mikehunt
What are our other options?
Well, I could mind meld with her, but doing that would reveal my true nature and blow my undercover mission
Dammit, I was really going to say the same damn thing.
Old 02-17-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

with the lighting Tuvok's ear looked pointed
Old 02-17-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

uh oh. she's getting a bit clingy and carter's going to hate it
Old 02-17-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wendall is gorgeous.

(Wow, talk about your ill-timed phone calls. I mean, no calls, no mention this entire season and now this? C'mon...)

Are they trying to shove cliches down our throats? I mean, wannabe rocker with a beat up old van?

Last edited by invisiblegt; 02-17-05 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah. I know a few people that were in bands in highschool, some atill are. none get gigs (doesn't ray's at least play bars?) and yet none drive old shitty vans
Old 02-17-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ray's van sort of gave off that Mystery Machine vibe.

Morris is such an ass.

Pratt will be talked into applying to chief resident position because there really isn't any other good viable candidate.

Carter just can't win, can he?

Was there any doubt that Ellie would have a good outcome with new technology to rid the blood supply of clots in the brain. Her comments were pretty funny.

Dubenko finally makes his move on Abby, but he is soooo late, it's not funny.
Old 02-17-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I hated Nixon's voiceovers. Everything else was standard, but not something i'd complain about.

Finally, some of what passes for skin on network television. I thought we'd have to make due with old lady skin until they graced us with Madchen in pink panties. However, I really don't like her character. What that moutain climbing dude said to Carter keeps sticking in my head.

Don't like Morris. If he's a regular, i'll start praying for a falling helicopter.
Old 02-17-05, 11:36 PM

The geniuses at my local station actually aired a promo halfway thru the episode that said, and I quote:

"On tonight's ER, a patient gets a new procedure that completely reverses her stroke. Is this new technique available in the tri-state? Find out at 10!"

Brilliant. Thanks, geniuses.
Old 02-17-05, 11:45 PM

I feel like I missed something. When Dubenko and Abby are in the restaurant, the last thing he says is, "Do you like foreign movies?" Then it cuts away. I'm assuming how Abby was acting she totally turned him down, but it was still strange not to show it. She just shows up at the other bar later on.

This is how it happened right? Or did I miss something?
Old 02-18-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was the very first episode of ER I've ever seen. It's no Scrubs. I thought the premise was interesting, but they didn't make a fan out of me. I probably won't be watching again, but I thought I'd share the fact that this was my first and only episode.
Old 02-18-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the time to get into ER was years ago
it's still watchable, but quality has gone down
try the reruns on TNT
Old 02-18-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not trying to turn my comments into more of a threadcrap, but I'll just say that there were reasons why I didn't ever see ER before. It was deliberate on my part.
Old 02-18-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In regards to Wendall, Carter is dumb. And he's an ass.

When is someone going to kill Morris?
Old 02-18-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was the 1st episode of ER I've seen in a while (I basically dropped off the show when Dr. Greene "exited" and have only seen a handful of episodes since), but I thought it was pretty good.

The patient POV has been done before (on the Ray Liotta ep from about 4 years ago, for one), but the added voice-over, once I got used to it, was pretty good.

I liked that Cynthia Nixon's character's comments were mostly dreamy and disconnected, like her constant comments on how good looking Kovak is, instead some profound insights on life. And the scene in which her husband couldn't decide whether to give consent on the procedure and she's screaming at him to grow some balls was great. That the husband knew her well enough to just look into her eyes and know that she wanted the procedure was pretty powerful.

Good episode, and I'm glad that it didn't have the downbeat ending ER usually gives us.
Old 02-18-05, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac
The patient POV has been done before (on the Ray Liotta ep from about 4 years ago, for one), but the added voice-over, once I got used to it, was pretty good.

4 YEARS ago??? Did you maybe mean 4 months ago? Wasn't the Ray Liotta ep on right before Xmas last year?
Old 02-18-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It just felt like 4 years ago...
Old 02-19-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by redskull47
4 YEARS ago??? Did you maybe mean 4 months ago? Wasn't the Ray Liotta ep on right before Xmas last year?
Oops, I mixed-up special guest stars - no, I meant the "Jim Belushi" ep from 4 years ago.
Old 02-19-05, 10:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was god

I thought it was funny when she was talkign about how cute Kovac was. I think most of her comments had to do with the pain meds she was on.

Carter is a moron
Old 02-20-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I think M*A*S*H* did the same thing 30 years ago.
When I heard the promos proclaiming how big a deal this ep would be I thought the same thing

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.