Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Television shows with cropped sides...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Television shows with cropped sides...

I don't know how long this has been going on or even if it's just something that's local to me or my cable company or what, but I've recently noticed that quite a few network shows seem to be widescreen versions with the sides cropped off for fullscreen viewing.

When I watch shows like Medical Investigations or Alias and some others, the network logo is almost entirely cropped off the side of the screen, and during the credits, the names, etc. will be cropped off if they're relatively close to the right or left side of the screen.

And watching Medical Investigations was painful with all the closeups that only showed half a face... if even that much.

Just wondering if this was some network decision or if it was something local to me in Dallas or even local to my crappy cable company (Grande Communications: Where a Clear Picture is Too Much to Hope For).
Old 02-17-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is defnitely a problem on your end, but you need to give us more information about your setup and equipment.

Either it's your cable provider (doubtful), an incorrect setting on your cable box or drastic overscan on your television set.
Old 02-17-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 27" Sylvania standard-def television hooked up to a Scientific Atlanta cable box from Grande. Of course, it also happens in the bedroom where there's a 27" General Electric standard-def television plugged directly into the cable from the wall.

And it happened at my old apartment, too, with Grande with the same 27" GE television and a Symphonic 14" television. And it just started happening this season. It was not the case in the two-and-a-half years prior to that in which I lived in the old apartment and watched Grande cable (or its predecessor companies).

Sadly, I don't know the model numbers.

It's also not universal. Shows like Smallville and ER and, I believe, The West Wing are broadcast in widescreen and show up in widescreen/letterboxed on my television and shows like 24 are fullscreen without cropping anything obvious off the sides.

But according to my viewing, Alias is now called IAS and stars such people as Jennifer G and Ron R. During the show, it's not all that noticeable, but on Medical Investigations, it was horrible.

I think I'm going to make a list this week of shows in which I notice the framing being off and shows which are broadcast to me in widescreen.

Last edited by BigDan; 02-17-05 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-17-05, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say there is definitely a problem with not-so-Grande then.

A lot of shows these days are filmed in widescreen, with the sides "protected" for 4:3 broadcast. They're broadcast in widescreen over the networks' HD feed, but cropped to 4:3 for the standard-def feeds (which are simulcast on different channels). But the thing is, the cropping takes place much earlier in the process, so network logos and titles are framed correctly.

I have a standard 32-inch 4:3 Sony and do not have the problems on the shows that you and I both watch ("Alias," for example). I have DISH Network for most networks, supplemented with Cox Cable for the local stations (ABC, CBS and NBC).

I'm about five hours away from you, in Midland, so the networks aren't screwing Texas in general!
Old 02-17-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I noticed the same thing on some NFL football games. The scores on the left and right side of the screen would be cut off. I assumed it was the station due to the fact that I could watch the same game on another channel and it looked fine.