Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My Day On The Set Of "Lost" (SPOILERS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Day On The Set Of "Lost" (SPOILERS for 3/2 Episode)

I work at the ABC affiliate here in Hawaii and was lucky enough to be able to visit the set of "Lost" for one scene. The reason why I was able to go is because they needed to use our news live trucks in the background. So, I just hopped a ride with those who had to go to the set.

The scene I saw was for an upcoming episode entitled "Numbers." It's Hurley's backstory.

Here's me at the scene we're shooting at. My friend took these pictures. He was funny enough to put in that insert of Jorge Garcia as well.

Amazingly, there was very little security to the set. People could come and watch the scene if they wanted to (as long as they don't disturb the shooting). There was a policeman to block off the road to only the people who live in the area. But that's about it.

Here's me with one of our live trucks. They covered our station logo with some made up station. But, I think it looks pretty convincing! Even the font matches!

For those who are REALLY into spoilers, I wrote up a synopsis of what I found out about the episode. There's probably a lot I don't know though. But, here's what I DO know:

Spoiler:
Hurley won the lottery when he was back in California. It seems his family was quite poor. I saw the scene when a horde of news crews came to Hurley's house to interview him and his family about winning the lottery. He introduced his cousin (I think) and his wife and their son. Hurley introduced his grandmother and his Grandpa Joe. After the reporters ask Hurley questions about winning the lottery, Grandpa Joe keels over. Like he's having a heart attack or a stroke. I'm not sure if Grandpa Joe dies, but he didn't look too good. It took a whole day to shoot that.

Later that night, they shot another scene in the house which I did not see.

The crew told me that the next day, they were going to shoot in the neighborhood again. I saw a brand new yellow Hummer parked on the street and they said that Hurley got that as part of his winnings. And I saw Hurley's stuntman double walking around. The crew told me that Hurley's grandmother was going to get hurt - something to do with the Hummer. I bet there's an action scene somewhere in there. So, the curse strikes again.

I know the morning before the scene I saw, they shot Hurley at a mansion in Kahala, so I'm guessing that he buys some big new house too.

So, putting two and two together, the curse strikes again when Hurley goes to Australia and on his return trip back to the states, he ends up crashing on a deserted island.

So, in a sense, winning the lottery - something that one would envy - has brought him nothing but heartache.

As far as the "big reveal" that E!Online is talking about, I don't have the slightest clue.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 02-24-05 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-15-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Cool stuff! Too bad you weren't on the set during a "Kate" backstory..

Skipping the spoilers, though..
Old 02-15-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice description. thanks for this.
Old 02-15-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
I'm skipping the spoilerized part too 'cause I'd rather wait and be surprised! When does Hurley's backstory air? I want to come back to this and read it afterwards!
Old 02-16-05, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I'm skipping the spoilerized part too 'cause I'd rather wait and be surprised! When does Hurley's backstory air? I want to come back to this and read it afterwards!
According to online schedules, "Numbers" airs on March 2nd. Which is only 2 weeks from now!

Yeah, I want to see how correct I am and how much can be gleaned from watching only one scene.

Hopefully, you'll see the truck somewhere in the background.
Old 02-16-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
thanks for the post, jarsofclay. pretty cool!
Old 02-16-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, but I skipped the spoilers too. I can't wait to watch Hurley backstory.

Please feel free to post more pictures if you happen to go to the set again especially when the ladies are present.
Old 02-16-05, 10:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Very cool - thanks!
Old 02-16-05, 10:28 AM

Trying to fight the urge to look at the spoiler....Can't seem to stop staring at the black box... It's calling to me... I gotta go... Thanks for the post Jarofclay, very nice.
Old 02-16-05, 10:41 AM

cool...same here skipped spoilers..
Old 02-16-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did anybody else think that jarsofclay was Hurley even for just a second?

Thanks for them spoilers. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-16-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about a big reveal or anything (I don't read Eonline), but if I were a betting man, I think that this is going to eventually happen:

Spoiler:
I think that Hurley is going to be the person who dies this season. I haven't heard anything that backs this up, but he is secondary enough not to totally through the story off, yet he is loved enough to be missed
Old 02-16-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very cool. Thanks for posting all that.
Old 02-16-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
Not sure about a big reveal or anything (I don't read Eonline), but if I were a betting man, I think that this is going to eventually happen:

Spoiler:
I think that Hurley is going to be the person who dies this season. I haven't heard anything that backs this up, but he is secondary enough not to totally through the story off, yet he is loved enough to be missed
Spoiler:
It would be HUGE if Hurley got knocked off this season! But, I doubt they would get rid of him with a few more episodes to go in the season. Still, it's entirely possible. Would be HUGE!
Old 02-16-05, 04:36 PM

Thanks for posting your Lost adventure, jarofclay73. Congrat's to you, I'd love to see a Lost scene being made, that's cool! And thanks for the Spoiler stuff! It does help explain a previous show where
Spoiler:
Hurley tells Walt that he'll get the $20,000(or whatever amount it was) that he owes him in such a "no problem/no big deal" manner.

Last edited by Keith123; 02-16-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 09:47 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Spoiler:
It would be HUGE if Hurley got knocked off this season! But, I doubt they would get rid of him with a few more episodes to go in the season. Still, it's entirely possible. Would be HUGE!
Spoiler:
Maybe they are going bring Becker back on the air and they need "Hector".
Old 02-17-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Spoiler:
Maybe they are going bring Becker back on the air and they need "Hector".
Spoiler:
To me, Jorge Garcia doesn't LOOK specifically Hispanic. But, he still gets Hispanic roles.
Old 02-17-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very cool, jarofclay! What area was that filmed?
Old 02-17-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rkndkn
Very cool, jarofclay! What area was that filmed?
It was filmed on 7th Ave. in Kaimuki on the makai side of the freeway. Go and watch the episode when it comes out and drive by the place.
Old 03-03-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I knew it! You couldn't even see the truck in the background! At least not in the non-HD version.

So, my theories were quite close. I was mistaken about his mom - I called her his grandmother. And it's Grandpa Tito, not Grandpa Joe. Sounded like Joe from where I was standing.

Watching that scene being shot, it pretty much came out like how I envisioned it. I noticed the final edit had several different takes in there. Actually, I remember when it came time to shoot Grandpa keeling over, someone had an idea to do it from the ground. I thought that was great. Came out like I thought it would. Alas, for a whole day's work it seemed like only a couple of minutes. But, it was fun.
Old 03-03-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, you CAN see the live truck I'm standing by in the above photo. You just have to pause it at the right place. Maybe I'll post screencaps later.

But, you can barely see the house that Hurley and the news crews are in front of. So, you can hardly tell that the house in the photo above is the same house where the news interview scene was shot.

One bit of trivia: The scene of the interior of the house (Hurley winning the lottery) was actually shot in that same green house. I REALLY like that every single scene was shot in Hawaii.