NYPD Blue -- "Lenny Scissorhands" -- 02.15.2005

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
NYPD Blue - 02/15/05

"Lenny Scissorhands"

Spoiler:
Sipowicz, Murphy and Clark investigate the shooting of a fellow police officer; Clark and Jones probe the beating death of a woman whose religious husband owns a jewelry store.
Adult Situations.

Cast: Dennis Franz, Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Gordon Clapp, Bill Brochtrup, Henry Simmons, Jacqueline Obradors, Currie Graham, Bonnie Somerville, Craig Walker, Carlos Gomez, Debi Mazar, Alan Rosenberg, Brady Rubin, Ken Lerner, Michael Pasternak, Nealla Gordon, Jennifer Jostyn, saverio_guerra, Boris Krutonog, Olga Vilner.
Director(s): Rick Wallace.
Producer(s): Steven Bochco, Mark Tinker, Bill Clark.
Writer(s): Bill Clark, Keith Eisner.

Original Airdate: February 15, 2005.
Old 02-15-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYPD Blue -- "Lenny Scissorhands" -- 02.15.2005

Lenny Scissorhands

Spoiler:
Sipowicz, Murphy and Clark investigate the shooting of a fellow police officer; Clark and Jones, now partners, investigate the beating death of a woman whose religious husband owns a jewelry store; Bale is shot in the course of a murder investigation, and Medavoy retires from the job.

This was in the NY Daily News on Sunday. Pretty sad. NO spoilers.

Very Blue As 'NYPD' Fades To Black

LOS ANGELES - The script supervisor announced the number and name of the last shot of the last scene of the last episode of the last season of "NYPD Blue."

"31, 'Goodbye,'" she said.

The director and executive producer, Mark Tinker, called out from behind the twin 12-inch black-and-white monitors set up in the world's best-known precinct bathroom adjacent to the world's best-known squad room.

"All right, here we go," Tinker said. "We'll give Dennis action first."

He meant Dennis Franz, the one actor who had been there from the beginning and had remained the emotional focus over the whole 12-year run. Now, as the clock clicked past 8 p.m. on Friday, he was the lone actor in the final scene.

"Action, Den," Tinker now said. "And camera - action."

The set on Stage 9 at the Twentieth Century Fox lot in Los Angeles' Century City was packed with actors and production people whose work was already done and who had remained for this true-life drama played out on the same stage where "M*A*S*H" had shot its final episode. They were absolutely silent as the cameras rolled and Tinker stared intently at the tiny screens.

"Did I just see a flash?" Tinker said.

Everyone, some of the bigger stars included, had brought still cameras to take snapshots on this last day.

"Folks, somebody took a flash photograph," Tinker said. "Let's go again."

Tinker thought the camera movement was a little slow anyway.

"We've got to try one a little faster," Tinker said.

A bell rang through the set to command quiet for another shot.

"And action, Dennis," Tinker said. "Camera - action."

Tinker's eyes were back on the monitor and once more everyone awaited his verdict in absolute silence.

"Little too fast," Tinker said. "We're going to go again. This ought to do it with any luck."

The bell rang as before, but perhaps as it never would again on this set. After a dozen years of story meetings and script writing and rewriting and casting and set-building and rehearsing and shooting and editing, it was all coming down to a slight difference in how fast or slow the crew moved the camera.

"And action, Den - and camera," Tinker said.

The set once more went silent and it seemed Stage 9 itself was holding its breath.

"And cut," Tinker then said. "That'll do it."

At 8:42 p.m., Tinker had just spoken the words signaling the moment they all knew was coming when they drove through the rain to the lot that morning.

"Welcome to the last day of all time, folks," Tinker had said at the start. "This is it."

Franz arrived on set, and before the rehearsal for the next-to-last big scene in the squad room he reached across the desks to shake hands with fellow "cop" Mark-Paul Gosselaar.

"One last time," Franz said.

During the rehearsal for the final squad room scene, actors Jacqueline Obradors and Bonnie Somerville fought back real tears. They then embraced another executive producer on the set, retired NYPD Detective Bill Clark, who had ensured the authenticity that kept the show going year after year.

His eyes welled with the most authentic of tears as those around him hugged and took pictures of each other. Then it was time for the actors to push aside the real drama and step back into the characters for whom this was only another shift.

"Remember, folks, despite the reality, tomorrow is another day here in the squad," Tinker said.

As the scene was lit, Franz stood with Tinker and wondered aloud what tomorrow actually held for people who had worked so long together in a business ruled by the moment.

"What's everybody going to do?" Franz said. "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know," Tinker said.

There were still two scenes to shoot and those in attendance included most prominently Steven Bochco, the top producer, who created the show along with David Milch. The next-to-last scene was done two hours later and everyone applauded as Tinker called out the names of the actors whose work on the show was now forever done.

"Okay, let's get the last piece, folks," Tinker then said.

The script supervisor called out "31, 'Goodbye'" and at 8:42 p.m. the shot known in Hollywood as "the martini shot" - the final shot of the final scene of the final episode of the final season that ends March 1 - was done. Franz was now the one who got the applause and he blew out the candles on a cake that was set out as if for a 12-year-old's birthday.

He was nobody but himself as he spoke words of love and respect. He then spoke for everyone involved in this show that now follows "M*A*S*H" into history, words that are just what a real NYPD detective would most dearly want to feel are true as he leaves the squad for good.

"We can hold our heads up so high and be proud of what we've done," Franz said.
Old 02-15-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Wow. Giving us a touching ending in every episode. Nice slow build up. I like it. Both cases were pretty lame though.
Old 02-15-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was totally moved when Andy & Greg posed for a picture. Fitting, since although Franz is the star, Clapp has been around since the third episode.

A couple of weeks ago we had two separate murders committed by old ladies, and this week we get a nancyboy hairdresser and a cop looking to cheat the city. I guess after all these years, the 15th precinct has run out of swaggering black males.
Old 02-15-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great shot of Franz and Clapp at the end. Totally made up for the lackluster cases.

If they kill off Andy next week in pursuit of the Russian, I will be seriously pissed off.
Old 02-16-05, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Where on his body was Bales shot?

It LOOKED like his right inner thigh (my wife and I both muttered in harmony "Uh oh, got the femoral....."), but in the hospital they mentioned kidney and other major organ damage.

???
Old 02-16-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by B.A.
Great shot of Franz and Clapp at the end. Totally made up for the lackluster cases.
Yeah, Andy WANTING Gregg in the picture was nice.

And the line to Junior downstair: "You don't ever say that to me again."

And Gay John's hair was even BIGGER this week; is this like a running gag with them.......?
Old 02-16-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jobronie
And the line to Junior downstair: "You don't ever say that to me again."
That one earned a grin from me.

Originally Posted by Jobronie
Where on his body was Bales shot?
Looked like his lower right stomach.
Old 02-16-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charlie Goose

I was totally moved when Andy & Greg posed for a picture.
Much better than last week's salute IMO. Last week was just too cheesy, but this was really moving.

das
Old 02-16-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
The Russian guy caved far too quickly. I guess the thought of being locked up with blacks and Puerto Ricans was too much for someone used to a Russian prison.
Old 02-16-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the ending was very touching. Glad to see that Andy was ready to be in the picture. Little moments are so memorable.

Cases not very suprising.

Seems like the little moments are going to touch me the most as this series ends.

Didn't like the previews of the new boss.
Old 02-16-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdoug57
Didn't like the previews of the new boss.
I don't think we'll have to deal w/ him for that long.

Old 02-16-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What was the Dennis Franz PSA commercial? My station showed the "I'm Dennis Franz, It's hor..." and then cut off to a local news at 11 promo. I'm assuming he was saying "horrible."
Old 02-16-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
If I'm Medavoy, no way I go out to arrest a violent Russian gangster on my LAST day of work. I'll stay back and do the 5s, thank you.

The new boss (for up to two episodes!) is
Spoiler:
Clark W. Griswold's co-worker from Christmas vacation.
Glad to see he's moved up...
Old 02-16-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wonder if the new boss will be slapping Andy on the butt like he did to Chandler.
Old 02-16-05, 02:30 PM

new boss was also Neil's philandering dad on "Freaks and Geeks"
Old 02-16-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
^ really? I'm working through F&G right now. You know what happened to Jimi Hendrix?.
Old 02-17-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
How cool that Clapp was introduced on the 3rd episode and leaves with 3 shows left, I am sure they planned that, but still cool.
Old 02-17-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to miss this show more than any other - as much as I love Sex and the City, Buffy, Angel, Farscape, and all the other shows cut down in their prime or ended with grace, NYPD Blue has been a part of my life for TWELVE years. Twelve. At the opening credit montage I still say "NYPD Blue baby!" to anyone listening, including my cats . I say it because I can't help it - I'm always hooked from the first few minutes and can't wait to see what happens next. This show consistently delivers the goods - fantastic drama, touching relationships, and even a few laughs. The 1-5 will always hold a special place in my heart.