SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: The First 5 Years - NBC

Old 02-15-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: The First 5 Years - NBC

Reminder:

This SUNDAY, 9/8 PM on NBC.

"Live! From New York! It's Saturday night!"

"SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: THE FIRST FIVE YEARS" marks the first prime-time special to commemorate the show's 30th anniversary.

These were the "golden years," aka the drug-infested, spaced-out, wild and crazy freshman years of the show, which featured Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Bill Murray, Garrett Morris, Jane Curtin, Larraine Newman, and Gilda Radner.

Just the kind of show you'd expect for February sweeps.
Old 02-15-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still think of Bill Murray as the 'new guy'
Old 02-15-05, 01:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
I still think of Bill Murray as the 'new guy'
Me too.
Old 02-15-05, 01:53 PM

Anyone else find the first five years highly overrated?

(Perhaps it's just dated), but I prefer the Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman years.
Old 02-15-05, 02:03 PM
Banned

I wonder if they're going to have the stuff from the Live From NY book about how Chevy Chase got into a fist fight with Bill Murray behind the scenes over Gilda or how Richard Pryor and John belushi were doing coke and at 3 in the morning they went to Queens for chicken and didn't come back until a day before air time. Or how Chevy Chase was offered a role in Animal House but wanted Belushi to have less of a role and ultimately Chase passed and Tim Mathis took his place. Or they great story of how Chase became the breakout and Lorne Michaels and him would fight over control of the show.
Old 02-15-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe

(Perhaps it's just dated),
Some truth to that. But as someone who was around to watch it then I can put it in context pretty easily, and that helps. I also enjoyed the Carvey/Hartman/Lovitz era. I put the first five a little higher though. Maybe because it was a little edgier and less formulaic. I can't imagine an Andy Kaufman being on the Carvey/Hartman/Lovitz era, or any other for that matter.
Old 02-20-05, 09:35 PM

bump
Old 02-20-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent Special

After getting my Tivo for Christmas, it started recording the ancient SNL episodes that come in around 4 in the morning... and I really get a kick out of them.

The special had a pretty good pace, and I suprisingly really enjoyed the musical clips included. I really hope there's people up there trying ot work out the kinks to some DVD sets.
Old 02-21-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should have titled this, "Saturday Night Live: We Apologize Profusely For This Season, Please Accept This As Our Apology. Please Don't Stop Watching."
Old 02-21-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(Perhaps it's just dated)...
Well after watching this show less than 24 hours after last night's Swank hosted SNL, the answer is an unambiguous NO!
Old 02-21-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

jeffkjoe

No. Watching this current season, I'm constantly reminded of how the show has changed from their original, and somewhat elitist, philosphy: laughter not applause. Since those first 5 years, they've steadily moved away from that edgy goal to what the show has now become: shamelessly pandering for applause wherever it can be found and leaning on the familiar like a crutch.

Anyway, I enjoyed the special. I was disappointed they didn't have Curtain on there, though.

das
Old 02-21-05, 03:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I thought this was really well done. But they need to stop doing these retorspectives, it only shows how bad SNL has gotten.
Old 02-21-05, 03:36 PM
Banned by request

I think the problem with SNL currently is that Tina Fey is pretty good at writing situations, but not dialogue. However, I think das is right in that the show has definitely distanced itself from edgier material. The other night I watched an episode from 1980 with Teri Garr, and while it wasn't consistently hilarious, some of the stuff they were saying was funny just because they had the guts to say it. You don't get that from SNL anymore.
Old 02-21-05, 03:44 PM

The special last night was really well done.

Anyone who missed it - They're coming out with a DVD version later on in the year with a bonus hour's worth of material.

I wonder if they're gonna do SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: The '80's next.
Old 02-21-05, 03:49 PM
Banned

Anyone notice how they weren't so concerned with cue cards in the earlier years? It seemed like actual talent with improv was important. Slowly, they've stuck to those damn cue cards now.
Old 02-21-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the show was definitely more cutting edge back then. A show like SNL had never been done before. However, there is a bit of remembering things better than they actually were. I have no doubt that if the "cheeseburger cheesburger cheeseburger" or the Samurai skits had been introduced today, there would be cries for Tina Fey's gangrape and clitoral castration. The sainted original cast had their share of stinkers too.
Old 02-21-05, 05:16 PM

I wonder if they're gonna do SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: The '80's next.
Heh, not very likely. If there was one it would have to be The Late 80's. Lorne wasn't running the show from 80-85, so there really isn't a chance of us getting a retrospective there, at least not while he''s involved. There's a reason you never see any reruns from that era, ever.
Old 02-21-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really thought the special was well done, and the clips of sketches and music were very well put together.

I was in college during those years and I miss the daring originality the original cast showed week after week.

Now the show is just weak.
Old 02-22-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[ open on interior, Woman's Apartment, 2:00 a.m. ]

[ doorbell rings ]

Woman: Who is it?

Voice At Door: [ drawn-out pause ] Uh.. trick or treat?

Woman: [ gets up and walks cautiously to the door ] Look, it's two o'clock in the morning. Halloween's over! Shouldn't you be in bed by now?

Voice At Door: [ stuttering ] Mrs. Bar- Barsen- Bargen- Barsen..?

Woman: There is no Mrs. Bargenbarson here!

Voice At Door: [ pause ] Candy-Gram?

Woman: Look, I'm all out of candy! I gave it all away! Now, go home!

Voice At Door: UNI- UNICEF, ma'am?

Woman: UNICEF?

Voice At Door: UNICEF.

Woman: Well, that's different..

[ Woman grabs her purse and opens the door - as she does, the Land Shark peers in, gobbles her up and drags her into the hall. ]

[ Land Shark re-enters the apartment, and stares at the camera. Suddenly, Chevy Chase pokes his head and arm out of the mouth ]

Chevy Chase: "Live, from New York, it's Saturday Night!"
Old 02-22-05, 12:18 AM

Recorded this one on DVD, nice special! Wonder if they'll do the other years and have an explanation for the crap.
Old 02-22-05, 12:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by BabiG
Heh, not very likely. If there was one it would have to be The Late 80's. Lorne wasn't running the show from 80-85, so there really isn't a chance of us getting a retrospective there, at least not while he''s involved. There's a reason you never see any reruns from that era, ever.
Actually, the 4am rerun show on Sunday mornings have been running some shows from that era.
Old 02-22-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched this earlier today and really enjoyed it! I honestly cannot watch SNL now, even when it's hosted by someone I like. Just too painful.
Old 02-22-05, 11:59 AM

even at only 84 minutes, sans the commercials, I felt the show was too short.
Old 02-22-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the first 5 years get high praise compared to now because we only see the BEST clips. We see clip shows and retrospectives and we're only seeing a fraction of the stuff. No matter how bad you think the current cast is, if you boil 5 seasons into 2 hours, you're gonna have damn good stuff.

When watching current shows, 85 minutes of suck will make you forget a genius 5 minute sketch. But years later when you ONLY show those good ones, it looks like the show batted 1.000.
Old 02-22-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone who missed it - They're coming out with a DVD version later on in the year with a bonus hour's worth of material.
You called it: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2960
This past Sunday evening, NBC aired a look back at SNL called "Live From New York: The First Five Years of Saturday Night Live". It was a look back at the original show, and it's crazy cast of Not Ready For Prime Time Players, which pulled no punches and looked at the good and the bad that went on as the show became a huge success.

Thanks to reader Henry Hanks, who pointed us toward this review of the documentary, we now know that this is going to come to DVD in the near future. Here's the quote from Mercury News's article by Charlie McCollum:

"I could have done a five-hour show on the first five years of 'Saturday Night Live,' no problem," says (documentary filmmaker Kenneth) Bowser. "But we're doing a two-hour network special so some things had to go." He feels especially badly about leaving out Father Guido Sarducci, Mr. Bill and the films made by Albert Brooks. (A DVD of the show with more than an hour of additional material will be released later this year.)

That will be great, especially for those people who love SNL but couldn't pull themselves away from the new episode of Desperate Housewives which aired at the same time (guilty - Dave). This isn't strictly episodes of the show, so it doesn't necessarily fall under our umbrella. Nevertheless, we plan to cover this release, so stay tuned for more details.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.