DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   New Doctor Who US Transmission Rumor (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/409835-new-doctor-who-us-transmission-rumor.html)

The Valeyard 02-15-05 03:37 AM

New Doctor Who US Transmission Rumor

Finally SOME news...tho still rumor, at least it's news of some sort.

Outpost Gallifrey
Rumors of US Transmission
February*14

Rumors have circulated today based on posts on the Restoration Team forum concerning a possible deal with NBC/Universal, who own the Sci-Fi Channel and USA Network, for broadcast of the new series, potentially with the Sci-Fi Channel as first broadcaster and USA as syndicators, which would include the entire back catalog of Doctor Who serials. While there is no official word confirming this, it's the first indication in some time of a possible deal for US broadcast of the new show. Stay tuned!

Andrew

Chew 02-15-05 07:18 AM

Although I would rather see the show on the station it belongs, BBCAmerica, I'm happy to see it coming somewhere.

Does the BBC film in HD? :) I'd love to see it on UniversalHD at some point.

Josh-da-man 02-15-05 07:46 AM

Well, it would be nice if the Sci-Fi Channel actually showed some decent Sci-Fi. And it would reach a wider audience than BBC America, and go to a station in a position to better market it.

riley_dude 02-15-05 12:58 PM

I've been waiting and waiting to get news about when this is going to premiere over here. Hope this is true. I am dying to see this new take on Doctor Who.

BDB 02-15-05 01:22 PM

BBC's broacast are horrendous. the feed they show is so poor I sometimes find it hard to watch, an example was the BAFTA's this past weekend, when they showed clips from Shrek, it looked like I was back in ireland watching grainy footage of bbc2

klandersen 02-15-05 01:44 PM

I hope the rumor turns into truth. It would be nice to see this latest incarnation.

I've noticed that the Fox-Made-for-TV only 8th doctor movie is available on DVD in it's UK homeland but I'm wondering when it will make its way onto DVD here in the USA on region I DVD?

Shannon Nutt 02-15-05 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Well, it would be nice if the Sci-Fi Channel actually showed some decent Sci-Fi.

You haven't seen the new Battlestar Galactica?
Seriously, I'd just be happy if Sci-Fi would knock it off with showing horror movies.

riley_dude 02-15-05 03:07 PM

And bad horror movies to boot.
Who green lights this stuff?????
As for the TV movie that was on a few years ago, I thought it was pretty Americanized and watered down(Car chase, Doctor kissing companion). Lets hope they dont make the same mistake with the new show.

The Valeyard 02-15-05 09:26 PM

The UK Premiere! It's almost official! A date has been set!

All we need is final confirmation!

From Outpost Gallifrey
New Series: 26 March 2005
February*15

While there is still no official confirmation from the BBC (and we stress that there's still plenty of time for this to change!), we've received enough information from various sources to safely conclude that the new series will indeed premiere on BBC1 on Saturday, March 26, 2005, likely at either 6:45 or 7:00pm (with the BBC3 "Doctor Who Confidential" series airing immediately afterwards at either 7:30 or 7:45pm.) Various sources have reported a range of rumored plans for a possible March 8 press launch, including radio and television trailers and broadcasts starting around that time; various radio interviews and photo shoots; new merchandise; a relaunch of the official Doctor Who website; and plenty of other publicity plans tying into the relaunch of the series. As soon as we have a clearer picture of all of the various publicity plans, we'll pass the word along.
(Editor's note: Once again, I want to stress that this is not an official confirmation, but I'm now confident that this is indeed the broadcast date, and that it will be announced through official channels soon!)

Andrew

Tracer Bullet 02-15-05 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by klandersen
I hope the rumor turns into truth. It would be nice to see this latest incarnation.

I've noticed that the Fox-Made-for-TV only 8th doctor movie is available on DVD in it's UK homeland but I'm wondering when it will make its way onto DVD here in the USA on region I DVD?

Probably never... they can't release it until the movie's been shown twice on Fox, and it's only ever been shown the one time.

Chew 02-16-05 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Probably never... they can't release it until the movie's been shown twice on Fox, and it's only ever been shown the one time.

And yet, it's been played to death elsewhere. (Sci-Fi mainly)

Josh-da-man 02-16-05 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet

Yeah, that'll happen right after monkeys fly out of my ass and start singing La Bohème.

I taped this onto VHS when they played it. I just watched it a few months ago. It's really, really fucking awful.

Paul McGann isn't a bad Doctor, but the rest of the movie reeked. It's like every early 90s cliche applied to Doctor Who. Weak ER impersonation, drive-by shooting, Millennium. Embarassingly bad.

Steve Phillips 02-16-05 04:30 PM

The 1996 TV movie airs often on the Encore networks, too.

I am looking forward to the new series. It's about time.