EVERYTHING tries to be trendy like "Reality TV"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-13-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

It goes without saying that I cannot stand reality TV, or anything that is influenced by it (tv, radio, movies, etc). Ok, i guess it's not so much that the actual show bugs me.....if you can watch it, knowing it's scripted and fake - fine............. but it's the people that live, die, and cry by the shows and are so ignorant to believe that everything is totally unscripted and REAL...

I have noticed that everything is being influenced by reality TV.... Since it's now trendy, anyone trying to achieve anything that resembles reality TV ALWAYS, ALWAYS has 99.9999999999999% of the following characteristics:

1) Shaky Camera shots
2) Black and white shots
3) Weird angle shots
4) Less than par video / audio quality
5) Subtitle portions
6) Someone (especially judges) with an accent (mostly English)

It kills me how people love this so much..... maybe i am just mad cause it's such a trend, and so many people are sucked into it....

what started this all? I think it has roots in Wrestling (WWF) and infomercials....

Ok, i am not really that angry, it's just funny how ridiculous this stuff can get.

Later,

Matt
Old 02-13-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate to break it to you, but most of your list can be traced back to MTV and its ilk.

As for numbers 5 and 6, I say:

Old 02-13-05, 05:23 PM

Reading 1-4 I thought I'd been whisked 10 years back in time reading a rant on Usenet about "television today."
Old 02-13-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

I was venting earlier -- it's just that 90% of material out there is the "same" in the sense that it has that "raw", reality TV feel...

Later,

Matt
Old 02-14-05, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by KillerQ
1) Shaky Camera shots
2) Black and white shots
3) Weird angle shots
4) Less than par video / audio quality
5) Subtitle portions
6) Someone (especially judges) with an accent (mostly English)

what started this all?
Chiaroscuro shmiaroscuro, I blame "Sunrise" for the first 5. The over the top judge with an accent wasn't really perfected until "M" though.
Old 02-14-05, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the shakey camera shots can be traced back to the early Levi Dockers ads?
Old 02-14-05, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't stand reality tv because there is no reality to it. There are a few shows that are entertaining. I have to agree the the live and die by reality junkies here at work make me just want to

It's almost as bad as the ones that REALLY think wrestling is you know....real.
Old 02-14-05, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still say "The Real World", with all of it's warts, still pisses all over all the other "reality(creative editing)" shows on TV.
Old 02-14-05, 04:09 PM

I'd have to agree with Giantrobo it was MTV (for most of the weird camera angle bits and the fast paced edits and clips) and it's "The Real World" for this "Reality TV" show junk.

If people really want "reality TV" they would have to go back to the very beginnings of TV when the first few shows around were talk and variety shows that were completely live and often would stray from what was scripted.
Old 02-14-05, 04:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I still say "The Real World", with all of it's warts, still pisses all over all the other "reality(creative editing)" shows on TV.
The first few seasons, maybe, but the recent stuff? I used to enjoy the show but now I find the show to be the most abrasive attention-whore, "acting for the camera" showcase on television today. Okay, second most (I forgot about The Simple Life).
Old 02-14-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DRG
The first few seasons, maybe, but the recent stuff? I used to enjoy the show but now I find the show to be the most abrasive attention-whore, "acting for the camera" showcase on television today. Okay, second most (I forgot about The Simple Life).

That's why I said, "and its warts".
Old 02-15-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerQ
1) Shaky Camera shots
2) Black and white shots
3) Weird angle shots
5) Subtitle portions

Wait, French New Wave cinema is to blame for reality TV? Damn you Jean Luc-Goddard!!!