The Shield - never watched the last season
BLASPHEMY!

j/k....kinda. Can I ask why?
Old 11-20-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Long Running Shows you Didn't quite get to the End of

Went through my list:

One Tree Hill - Never watched the final three seasons. They show was already a guilty pleasure but once they wrapped up the main storyline I didn't want to stick around for a three year coda.

Desperate Housewives - I skipped the second half of season 7 for excessive stupidity but returned in season 8 to finish the show off. This is a rare thing for me.

Rectify - Ditched it on season two. Season one was one of the most enthralling boring shows ever. But season two lost me instantly.

Rescue Me - The drop in quality from season three to season four is the worst drop of anything I've ever watched. Stopped watching the show by s04e04.

The League - Stopped three episodes into season six. They haven't done anything new in two years anyway.

The O.C. - Season one was awesome. Season two lost my interest almost immediately.

The Vampire Diaries - I thought seasons one and two were excellent. I ditched it four episodes into the third season. But I may binge through it at some point.

Treme - Lost interest near the end of the second season. By the first episode of the third I knew I was done.

Doctor Who - By series 6 I couldn't take Moffat's terrible writing any longer.

Sherlock - Series 3. See above.
Old 11-20-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I never watched Lost, and please don't spoil anything as I may watch it someday. But alot of people I talked to bolted after one of the final seasons when they said it got ridiculous? It went from one of the best shows to one of the most ridiculous shows.
Old 11-20-14, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scorpion
Dexter - Watched all but the series finale.
Originally Posted by Xiroteus
How does that happen?
I "hate" watched the last couple of seasons and my interest dwindled as it went along. Before I got the chance to watch the finale, I heard about the "Lumberjack" ending. That was the final straw for me and I have no interest in seeing it.
Old 11-20-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion
I "hate" watched the last couple of seasons and my interest dwindled as it went along. Before I got the chance to watch the finale, I heard about the "Lumberjack" ending. That was the final straw for me and I have no interest in seeing it.
You're better off by not seeing it. I personally like to pretend that it is actually some terrible fan fiction. Hopefully, someone will start a Kickstarter to redo season 8 of Dexter.
Old 11-20-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That is the worst decision I've seen in this thread...
Watch that pronto, you won't regret it.
What is worse, I actually own the entire series on dvd. I can't even explain why. Just never got to it...
Old 11-20-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I never watched Lost, and please don't spoil anything as I may watch it someday. But alot of people I talked to bolted after one of the final seasons when they said it got ridiculous? It went from one of the best shows to one of the most ridiculous shows.
That is the infamous last season of Lost. It's definitely worth watching up until the final season. I've never heard a negative word uttered about Lost's first season.
Old 11-20-14, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boardwalk Empire - Bailed for the same reason as mcnabb.
Sons of Anarchy - Bailed after the Aceveda/Machete CIA crap. Good lord Sutter is awful.
Dexter - Bailed on the final season because it was really going down hill.
Alias - Quit on the final season.
Rescue me - Quit on either the final season or the season before, I don't remember.
Desperate Housewives - Quit after the 3rd or 4th season I think?
Grey's Anatomy - Quit after the 3rd or 4th season I think?
Heroes - Quit in the middle of the 3rd season
Old 11-23-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how i met your mother...stopped at the beginning of the last season. i didnt care at all who the mother was and the show had gotten painful to watch so i finally gave up.

the office... i think i lasted maybe one season after steve left.

scrubs...watched all but the last season or 2. whenever the cast changed.
Old 11-23-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I specifically avoided spoilers in regards to Lost the entire time it was on TV, in anticipation of eventually watching it. Wasn't easy. I ended up binge-watching it in the summer of 2012 after I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled. It helped that I actually wanted to see what kept happening,

To me, no season was garbage but it did get incredibly frustrating. Especially the last season. I'd imagine if I had watched it "live" my overall view of the show would've been a lot different. Some of the season finales had me going WTF?, then knowing you'd have to wait another 8 months... yeesh. Must've been brutal.
Old 11-27-14, 04:15 PM

For me - CSI:* and L&O:* when both became "murder of the week" shows. (likely other crimes occured but the bodies were stacked like cordwood in the morgues. )
Old 11-27-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

This episode really shows I must take television in a more serious manner or I am just entertained easier. Then again I was talking to someone that's watching and rewatching some shows and it seems that every other episode is annoying in some manner, something of which I am not used to thinking aside from very rare moments.
Old 11-27-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
To me, no season was garbage but it did get incredibly frustrating. Especially the last season. I'd imagine if I had watched it "live" my overall view of the show would've been a lot different. Some of the season finales had me going WTF?, then knowing you'd have to wait another 8 months... yeesh. Must've been brutal.
Season 5 was a tipping point, season 6 is garbage.

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
For me - CSI:* and L&O:* when both became "murder of the week" shows. (likely other crimes occured but the bodies were stacked like cordwood in the morgues. )
So you bailed after the pilots?
Old 11-28-14, 11:42 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I also stopped watching the Office about 25 percent into the last season

Terrible new characters and of course no Carrell
Old 11-29-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Season 5 was a tipping point, season 6 is garbage.
the season five finale works as an ambiguous, but more satisfying ending than the "proper" ending.
Old 03-09-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: What shows have you STOPPED watching?

Okay folks, I apologize if there are more current threads that ask the same question as the one in this long dormant thread, but I have been looking for a thread to talk about shows I have culled from my Tivo (not just deleting what has accumulated, but deleting the season pass to said show(s)).

Please note that I am aware of threads that ask things like what shows did you give up on that were 2 3/4 seasons deep, but this one simply asks what shows have you stopped watching without caring about how long the show has been on the airwaves.

I recently nuked The Originals, The Vampire Diaries (I am a longtime viewer of this show), Supernatural (again, viewer since the very first ep), and Two Broke Girls (viewer since the beginning, but I had a backlog of 3 eps and no desire to catch up). I am this close to letting go of The Black List (5 ep backlog, and no itch to catch up). I am coming to the realization that by the time I can take the time to catch up, the seasons I missed will already be on Netflix.
Old 03-09-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

It's been really interesting. I haven't had regular channels for 2 months and I can kind of do without. I catch up with some shows through the 'net (Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, TAR), but other shows, I'm not very interested in catching up on (Blacklist, Hawaii 5-0, Suits). And I have Netflix to keep me occupied. Haven't even missed sports. Kinda weird, but I just don't have the time.
Old 03-09-15, 06:23 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I only watch a few of the television shows currently airing. I recently gave up on The Walking Dead after the mid-season break. As a horror fan, I almost felt obligated to watch it considering how immensely popular the show is. After four years, I still couldn't have cared less about any of the original characters... then they started bringing in new people who were even less compelling. After Terminus, I just gave up and realized the show was never going to click with me.

More recent series: I bailed on Gotham after six episodes and The Flash after three. Both shows had bland characters and mediocre villain of the week episodes. I simply didn't give a shit. The only scripted dramas I still bother to watch are American Horror Story, Bates Motel and Agents of SHIELD (though I would have already dropped the latter if it wasn't for the occasional referencing of events from the Marvel movies).

Last edited by joe_b; 03-09-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I realized long ago that once you have enough of a backlog that time passes and the show comes out on Netflix/DVD/Blu, it's probably over, you're never going to catch up, unless you just don't like anything currently airing. Like if it wasn't exciting enough for you to watch for a whole year or so, when are you possibly going to have time to watch it?

Once Upon a Time is like that for me... we go in spurts to try to catch up, but never seem able to and yet I can't bring myself to take it off the season pass.
Old 03-09-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix is usually the killer for me. I had the entire season of Zombie Nation on my DVR, as soon as it showed up on Netflix I deleted it. Someday...
Old 03-09-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Gave up on Arrow. It`s just stupid now. On the verge with Flash...started off good. Now it`s just meh. Big Bang, also. It's just not as funny anymore. Very uneven season.
Old 03-09-15, 08:14 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Haven't deleted any season passes yet. Mostly end up letting the episodes pile up, until the dvr starts deleting them to make space for newer stuff.

Recent shows I have backlogged piling up:

- Scorpion
- Helix
- Star Wars Rebels
- Better Call Saul
- The Americans
- The Following
- The Blacklist

(ie. One or more episodes behind, and no inclination to watch).

With that being said, shows I still watch either live or later in the evening.

Sunday - Revenge (present season is really strange and "rudderless")
Monday -nothing
Tuesday - Person of Interest (present season is kinda boring)
Wednesday - Empire
Thursday - nothing
Friday - Hawaii Five-0 (popcorn with little rewatch value), 12 Monkeys

The only reason I still watch these particular shows either live or later in the evening, is due to boredom and being at home with nothing to do (such as Fridays and Sundays).

At the present time, the only show I still look forward to watching every week is Empire. Person of Interest is slowly moving to my backlog list.
Old 03-09-15, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Blacklist
Pretty Little Liars
Reign
Brooklyn 99 (I don't know why)
Parks and Rec (I do need to catch up on these)

Still watch:
Suits
Elementary
Modern Family
the Middle
Good Wife
Revenge
Gotham
The Flash
Scorpion (barely)
Castle (barely)
Better Call Saul
Walking Dead (I actually like this season more than previous ones .. so far)
Old 03-09-15, 11:43 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Forgot to add that I also deleted Black Sails.
Old 03-09-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bailed on Gotham after about six or seven episodes. It had promise but there was something missing. I exited The Flash too but I actually liked it. I was just really busy in October and fell too far behind.

I stopped watching Helix 3/4 of the way into Season 1 (so slooooow) and Arrow around the same time in its Season 1 (Steven Amell's acting was too poor). I stopped watching Downtown Abbey early in its Season 4 as I felt the show was just spinning its wheels at that point. I am very far behind on Homeland but will try to catch up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.