Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ER -- "Just As I Am" -- 02.10.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-10-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just As I Am

Spoiler:
Dr. Weaver (Laura Innes) encounters an evasive patient (Frances Fisher, "Titanic") who shocks her by revealing that she is her birth mother, who put her baby up for adoption at 15. As they spend time sharing their life stories, their budding relationship withers when Weaver confesses to her mother -- an evangelical Christian -- that she is gay. Elsewhere, Dr. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) warily turns over an addled elderly woman to the care of Jane (Sara Gilbert) while Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) causes a commotion when he confronts a couple hoping to scam some painkilling drugs.

Potential Cast Spoiler
Spoiler:
According to TVGuide.com, this might not be Carter's last season. They said he's in negotiations to return next season.
Old 02-10-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
damn. I was hoping kerry would get hit by a car just then
Old 02-10-05, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
damn. I was hoping kerry would get hit by a car just then
I was hoping that was going to happen also. But it didn't.

That episode was enough Weaver to last the whole season.
Old 02-10-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by birdseye
That episode was enough Weaver to last the whole season.
I think that was the whole point.

I can't believe I just sat through that ep. I guess I should be happy that we weren't subjected to Morris. And the fight (thanks Ranger). Neela saying "What am I doing?" w/ a bedpan raised above the pain-killer addicts head gave me a good chuckle.

Last edited by B.A.; 02-10-05 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We know it had to end. Six good er episodes in a row then this. The fight with Neela lifting the bedpan wasn't enough to make up for this episode.
Old 02-10-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
anyone catch Joey tonight? had a funny ER based joke
Old 02-11-05, 12:29 AM

I actually kinda liked it. I like how this show can break with certain storylines and focus on a specific character. Weaver's been on, what, 8 seasons? Has her cane/limp ever been explained before tonight? It's the mark of some strong characters when it takes you all this time to still learn about them.

Except for Carter. We know everything about that guy.
Old 02-11-05, 12:49 AM

I thought it was a good non traditional episode and Laura Innes showed off some very good acting tonight.

On a side note: does anyone know if, during the previews for the next weeks episode, that is a real song? I keep hearing that womans' voice in my head.
Old 02-11-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I actually enjoyed this episode as much as I figured I would hate it given every other "very special" er. But they handled the story well. I figured it would be kerri that would have a hard time accepting her mother, but they turned that on its head. the ending was good. Somehow, I dont think this is then end of this little arc. I hope this doesn't become like Sally Field's character.
Old 02-11-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well besides wanting to throw some objects at the television during certain points it was an allright episode.
Old 02-11-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by bothanspy
...I hope this doesn't become like Sally Field's character.
Ohhh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... OHMYGOD OHMYGOD... wait, what?

Oh, you said like Sally Field's character... Whew. I didn't see the episode and thought Abby's family was back on the show: Just about gave me a panic attack!

I didn't tape this one as I'd expected to be home, but sounds like I missed only a "Meh" ep anyways.
Old 02-11-05, 03:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pezboy
I actually kinda liked it. I like how this show can break with certain storylines and focus on a specific character. Weaver's been on, what, 8 seasons?
She's been on since season two, and it's Michael Ironside's fault too, because when he left to do SeaQuest, "Weaver" took over.
Old 02-11-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought overall that this was a pretty good episode. Laura Innes put in a good performance, one where the ecstacy and the agony meet head on for Kerry Weaver as her biological mother Helen (?) tracks her down after all these years, and they spend a day together off and on throughout the day. Kerry gets the 411 on the situation for which Helen gave up Kerry for adoption, and then reveals a bit of her own life, as does Kerry. Unfortunately for Kerry, Helen has chosen to turn inwards to her church and faith, and when Kerry summons the courage to inform Helen of her sexual orientation, Helen pulls away, and Kerry is devastated, but picks up the pieces and returns to her life in medicine.

Jake and Abby are getting along a little too well. But it's good to see Abby happy.

Kerry, while also working her ER shift (she does a couple of shifts per month to keep up with her ER skills), manages to go bi-polar in between her visits with Helen, first happy, then anxious (snappish), and then more serene again.

Pratt finds that Jan has some good skills after Kerry dumps her onto Pratt so that Pratt can do some teaching towards her on a case of Pick's disease, but Pratt sort of sloughs off the teaching aspect, and Jan is left to do her own education via surfing the internet for Pick's disease information.

At the end, after Carter and Neela having been getting played for as much demerol as possible by a woman complaining about her neck injuries, Carter puts his foot down, and a melee ensues as the husband gets uppity about having his wife being accused of being a demerol addict. Neela almost gets a swing of the bedpan in on the melee, but decides to let security handle it. Kind of funny scene, plus Ray got a bloody nose during the melee.
Old 02-13-05, 10:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What happened to Sissy Spacek?

She was touted as the guest star for weeks and was even listed in last week's tv guide. so what happened that she didn't do this guest spot and Frances Fisher did? i don't get it...
Old 02-13-05, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
She was touted as the guest star for weeks and was even listed in last week's tv guide. so what happened that she didn't do this guest spot and Frances Fisher did? i don't get it...
I read somewhere that Sissy Spacek did film some scenes but had to bow out because of a serious family emergency. Some of the scenes with Frances Fisher were even filmed as recently as a week or two ago.
Old 02-13-05, 01:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the tvguide story from Monday
Talk about a letdown. Sissy Spacek sounded so excited about this Thursday's ER, where she was slated to play the long-lost birth mother of Dr. Kerry Weaver (Laura Innes). At the last minute, she dropped out due to a "scheduling conflict" and Titanic's Frances Fisher was tapped to replace her. What exactly was Spacek's conflict?

"You know what? I don't feel comfortable talking about it," Innes politely tells TV Guide Online. "I know that it's a family matter with Sissy, and she's very disappointed not to be able to do the show. It's kind of her business. It had nothing to do with the show, it was more a family conflict that she had."

Fair enough. As for ER selecting Fisher to pinch-hit as Weaver's mommy, Innes says, "Frances was always among the people on the list. We felt like she's very right for the role. She's a wonderful actress and there is a sort of physical similarity between us. It's very different from other roles she's played. [Weaver's mom] is this very sweet, slightly awkward woman. It's a very tender little performance that she did."

Innes feels that exploring Weaver's abandonment issues will shed light on why she's been so, er, abrasive all these years. But it won't be easy especially when the lesbian lady doc comes out to her birth mom, who happens to be a conservative Christian. That plot twist allows ER to tackle the very topical (and ever-sensitive) issue of gay tolerance in American families.

"Weaver's finally coming to some sort of healing or resolution [about being adopted] and this conflict emerges completely unexpectedly," Innes says. "Her mother is completely disapproving and unaccepting of her sexuality.

"After she overcomes her fear, Weaver becomes very articulate and passionate about defending her identity," she previews. "But her mother is also quite articulate and [she's] not painted as a bad person or a stereotype. My feeling is that people are basically good. Once they come to understand and know each other, there's a lot more love, understanding and acceptance that can go on. It's very important that both voices be heard. As long as there's communication, it's a better world to be living in."
I didn't think it was that bad an episode. The fight at the end was great.

I'm glad they brought up the fact that Helen was 14 when she had the baby becasue Fisher and Innes look more like sisters(Fisher is really 7 years older)
Old 02-13-05, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
I didn't think it was that bad an episode. The fight at the end was great.

I'm glad they brought up the fact that Helen was 14 when she had the baby becasue Fisher and Innes look more like sisters(Fisher is really 7 years older)
That was the first thing I thought when I saw Weaver's mom--wondering why they picked an actress who was the same freakin' age! After their explanation though, I guess I could buy her being 14 years older.
Old 02-13-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A pretty good episode. Far better than what I was expecting from this one. Had a sort of serene feel to the whole thing...
Old 02-14-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pezboy
I actually kinda liked it. I like how this show can break with certain storylines and focus on a specific character. Weaver's been on, what, 8 seasons? Has her cane/limp ever been explained before tonight?
No, I don't recall it ever being discussed before.
Old 02-14-05, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
No, I don't recall it ever being discussed before.
The closest it ever came was when Malucci asked everyone in the ER except her why she limps, way back in Season 6.

Last edited by TK-421; 02-14-05 at 12:54 PM.