Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 2/9 - Groups

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol - 2/9 - Groups

Old 02-10-05, 12:45 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by gettinbranded
They won't mess with success---a local DJ just said that Fantasia just went platinum.
I once heard a comedian make this comment about the Spice Girls, "I know that the Spice Girls have sold over 30 million albums, but I still have never met anybody who owns one."

The same can be said by me about Fantasia, she may have sold that many, but I don't know anyone who has it.

I personally don't... but I will admit I am one of the 152,000 people who bought Justin Guarinni's.
Old 02-10-05, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
And despite singing out of his genre, Constantine did rather well.
I've read on another forum that Constantine actually has major roots in musical theater. One member described seeing him in Rent several times and then meeting him. After hearing him sing this last round I believe it, he definitely had a musical theater quality to his voice (as well as a slight nasal-ness occasionally).
Old 02-10-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by gettinbranded
They won't mess with success---a local DJ just said that Fantasia just went platinum. Anyone heard from the chubby girl that everyone said was better than her last season?
We weren't saying Diana was good. We were saying that they both sucked.
Old 02-10-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I personally don't... but I will admit I am one of the 152,000 people who bought Justin Guarinni's.
Takes a lot of guts to admit that Goldberg.
Old 02-10-05, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Takes a lot of guts to admit that Goldberg.
Thanks.

Its quite a decent album that no one really gave the chance. I have actually bought Kelly's first one and Clay's first one, and I find myself listening to Justin more often than theirs.

I have an American Idol playlist on my iPod and I just let it shuffle that list.

One of these days I'll get Rueben's first one, but I won't be buying Fantasia's.

Originally Posted by maiana
I've read on another forum that Constantine actually has major roots in musical theater. One member described seeing him in Rent several times and then meeting him.
According to this LiveJournal, he's also appeared on and won an episode of Elimidate.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/constantine_m/
Old 02-10-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone else think it'll come down to Fedorov (Blonde Clay-bot) or Scott (or is his name Steve? the guy who's personality I can't stand)?

That Asian chick who couldn't remember the lyrics looked like an Asian version of Alexis Bleidel (Rory on Gilmore Girls).
Old 02-10-05, 02:04 PM

Thanks.According to this LiveJournal, he's also appeared on and won an episode of Elimidate.http://www.livejournal.com/community/constantine_m/
Well now, that's interesting news. So, I thought before that he was a fame ho but now I know he is!
Old 02-10-05, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BassDude
I wanna say his name is Dennis Brown. I was watching for him too, as he and Anwar are my "favs" thus far. They showed 'Dennis' for a second in the previews, so he musta gotten through.

I'd like to see these two, and Constantine, make it to the main show. (Const doing dance steps!! "That arm snap has ta be sharper!" LOL! But he held his own!)
David Brown is his name, and yeah, he made it.

Spoilers on some of the top 24. It's posted on all the big forums.

Spoiler:

All of these people had these "official" websites registered in London on the same day last fall after the Hollywood auditions. I guess people think that 19E registered all of these sites because it's based in London and they used the same registration site for past AI season semi-finalists. I don't know if it's true, but it's interesting anyway...

Sarah Mather (sarahmather.com)
Anwar Robinson (anwarrobinson.com)
Vonzell Solomon (vonzellsolomon.com)
Carrie Underwood (carrieunderwoodofficial.com)
Constantine Maroulis (constantinemaroulisofficial.com)
Donnie Williams (donniewilliamsofficial.com)
Mikalah Gordon (mikalahgordonofficial.com)
Yolanda McIntosh (yolandamcintoshofficial.com)
John Zisa (johnzisaofficial.com)
Osborne Smith (osbornesmith.com)
Travis Tucker (travistuckerofficial.com)
Ian Holmes (ianholmesofficial.com)
Anthony Federov (anatoliyfederov.com)
Nadia Turner (nadiaturnerofficial.com)
Jaclyn Crum (jaclyncrum.com)
Nathan Herron (nathanherronofficial.com)
David Brown (davidbrownofficial.com)
Lindsey Cardinale (lindsaycardinale.com)
Amanda Avila (amandaavila.com)
Mario Vazquez (mariovazquez.com)
Scott Savol (scottsavol.com)

-- If this list is true, i pray to god that Mikalah Gordon doesn't go far.

Last edited by xx2000xx; 02-10-05 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 03:45 PM

xx2000xx you need to go back into your post and remove the "www" part and those names will fad back into the black.
Old 02-10-05, 05:57 PM

xx2000xx you need to go back into your post and remove the "www" part and those names will fad back into the black.
Oops, sorry about that.
Old 02-10-05, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh
My local affiliate cut out immediately after their performance was over, and I didn't get to see their judgement. I obviously know that Savol made it through, but what about the other two? My guess is the older bald white guy did not make it, but the tall black guy, whom I thought was good, did make it through.
Are you in the Cleveland area by any chance?

I just finished watching this on my DVR... same problem. Looks like I missed out on about 3-5 minutes of the show. What happened right after these guys sang and he tossed his bear away?? Anyone? I thought the biker looking dude would get the boot too.

So far, I think Mario Vasquez (sp? I think that's his name) is the best one. He has the voice and the stage presence. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it to the final 5. This is my first time watching any of the AI's though... so I don't know if there's something that could potentially hang him up and cause him to be eliminated.
Old 02-10-05, 07:20 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Jray
Are you in the Cleveland area by any chance?

I just finished watching this on my DVR... same problem. Looks like I missed out on about 3-5 minutes of the show. What happened right after these guys sang and he tossed his bear away?? Anyone? I thought the biker looking dude would get the boot too.

So far, I think Mario Vasquez (sp? I think that's his name) is the best one. He has the voice and the stage presence. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it to the final 5. This is my first time watching any of the AI's though... so I don't know if there's something that could potentially hang him up and cause him to be eliminated.

Yep, the Cleveland area.

And I found out that indeed the biker looking dude, Matthew Meyers, did not make the cut. The other two, Scott Salvo and Danny Stewart, did move on to the next round.
Old 02-10-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw the P. Diddy Diet Pepsi commercial again and noticed for the first time that some of the current AI contestants are in it. Or at least it sure looked like them.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 02-10-05 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I just saw the P. Diddy Diet Pepsi commercial again and noticed for the first time that some of the current AI contestants are in it. Or at least it sure looked like them.
doubtful since coke is a major sponsor of AI. I think you saw Fez from that 70s show.
Old 02-10-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead
doubtful since coke is a major sponsor of AI. I think you saw Fez from that 70s show.
Oh true, maybe it was really him then.

I thought one of the guys shown in the truck was the one rocker that left his band.
Old 02-10-05, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Ohh, that's funny, I thought I saw one of the people from AI too. I thought it was the guy I mentioned earlier - Mario Vasquez. Maybe it was that 70's dude. I never watch that show... I knew the guy looked familiar though.
Old 02-10-05, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jray
Ohh, that's funny, I thought I saw one of the people from AI too. I thought it was the guy I mentioned earlier - Mario Vasquez. Maybe it was that 70's dude. I never watch that show... I knew the guy looked familiar though.
Yeah, those 2 could almost pass as twins.
Old 02-10-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Mario Vazquez looks EXACTLY like W. Valderama

And about 'platinum" and 'triple platinum'...does anyone confirm this, or do we just take the record companies word for it?

BTW, its funny, Ive been a HUGE AI fan since S1, yet have never Purchased, or even intentionally listened to an AI related album or single...

....weired, guess Im just a fan of competition
Old 02-10-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Mario Vazquez looks EXACTLY like W. Valderama

And about 'platinum" and 'triple platinum'...does anyone confirm this, or do we just take the record companies word for it?
I could be wrong here, but I think that a while back they changed the rules for gold/platinum records so that the numbers reflect the numbers of units shipped instead of the number of units sold.

So all they have to do get a platinum album is ship one million copies to stores; they don't actually have to sell.

So Fantasia can "ship" a million CDs to Wal-Marts all across the country, sell 50,000 copies, and still be considered Platinum.

And, furthermore, you can still sell a million, even millions, of your album and not be a Platinum artist because the record company has to pay to get their artist "certified Platinum."

Yes, Gold and Platinum Records are just so much RIAA bullshit. Shocking, isn't it?
Old 02-10-05, 10:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW, its funny, Ive been a HUGE AI fan since S1, yet have never Purchased, or even intentionally listened to an AI related album or single...

....weired, guess Im just a fan of competition
I don't think you're alone, or even in the minority. I watch and enjoy the show but I would never even think of buying anything that came out of it.
Old 02-10-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I could be wrong here, but I think that a while back they changed the rules for gold/platinum records so that the numbers reflect the numbers of units shipped instead of the number of units sold.

So all they have to do get a platinum album is ship one million copies to stores; they don't actually have to sell.

So Fantasia can "ship" a million CDs to Wal-Marts all across the country, sell 50,000 copies, and still be considered Platinum.

And, furthermore, you can still sell a million, even millions, of your album and not be a Platinum artist because the record company has to pay to get their artist "certified Platinum."

Yes, Gold and Platinum Records are just so much RIAA bullshit. Shocking, isn't it?
It has always been about units shipped. I work in the record biz and I remember back in the early 90's when I used to work for a major who distributed Queen Latifah's label. This was back when Latifah had that sitcom and they were planning on presenting her a gold record award on the show that night. The catch? The record had not yet shipped gold. So they put out this big emergency fire drill for the sales reps to get a bunch of orders that day to push it over 500,000 shipped.
Old 02-10-05, 11:31 PM

Spoiler:
Wow, Ian Holme made it to the final 24! I liked him in The Sweet Hereafter.

Last edited by Jadzia; 02-11-05 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 07:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Brak55
Spoiler:
As amusing as your post is, it's in poor form to give away spoilers from upcoming episodes without tags.
Old 02-11-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Vasquez is the only person that stands out. BTW, I've bought Kelly and Reuben's albums. I love Kelly's, but as I'm not the hugest R&B fan Reuben's doesn't get played much. It's not bad though.
Old 02-11-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Brak55
Spoiler:
Maybe he'll sing
Spoiler:
"The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" (made famous by Mr. Spock himself)
on the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.