Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Invasion Iowa - from the creators of The Joe Schmo Show

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-07-05, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stars William Shatner and crew pulling one over on the town that proclaims itself as the fictional birthplace of James T. Kirk.

If it's anything like Joe Schmo 2, it'll be a blast!

http://invasioniowa.spiketv.com/
http://www.spiketv.com/shows/series/...seriesID=13720

Now if they'd only get Joe Schmo 2 on DVD...
Old 02-07-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 157 Posts
I'll check this out. It sounds pretty interesting.
Old 02-07-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds very original and could be hilarious.
Old 02-07-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Shades of:

William Shatner: You know, before I answer any more questions there's something I wanted to say. Having received all your letters over the years, and I've spoken to many of you, and some of you have traveled... y'know... hundreds of miles to be here, I'd just like to say... GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just a TV show! I mean, look at you, look at the way you're dressed! You've turned an enjoyable little job, that I did as a lark for a few years, into a COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME!

[ a crowd of shocked and dismayed Trekkies.... ]

I mean, how old are you people? What have you done with yourselves?

[ to "Ears" ] You, you must be almost 30... have you ever kissed a girl?

[ "Ears" hangs his head ]

I didn't think so! There's a whole world out there! When I was your age, I didn't watch television! I LIVED! So... move out of your parent's basements! And get your own apartments and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just a TV show dammit, IT'S JUST A TV SHOW!
Old 02-07-05, 04:12 AM

Found the direct link to an interesting 3 1/2 minute preview clip of the show..

http://www.spiketv.com/sitewide/apps...html?vid=40848
Old 02-07-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a premiere date?
Old 02-07-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
Is there a premiere date?
[obligatory]In times like this, I always refer to TvTome.com [/obligatory]

Season 1
1. 1-1 29-Mar-2005 Series Premiere

I guess I should spoiler this....

Spoiler:
From the production team of The Joe Schmo Show, the reality show where only "Joe" and "Jane" Schmo didn't know was fake, comes Invasion Iowa. Airing on Spike TV beginning on March 29, 2005, the show dupes residents of the small-town of Riverside, Iowa citizens into believing they've been hired on as crew for a science-fiction / time-travel film starring William Shatner. What they don't know is that they entire stunt has been planned out for over a year and there's no real movie being filmed in order to parody Hollywood and not be mean-spirited toward Riverside.

The phony Invasion Iowa movie has cast and crew that are both residents of Riverside and hired actors and actresses. Hired onto the show to play outrageous characters are:

Ernie Grunwald - He's playing Steve, Bill's Spiritual Advisor. He's the guy who can calm down William Shatner when needed. The actor is fairly well-established in TV shows and movies, having played the regular character Claude on The High Life and with bit roles in movies such as Men in Black II.

Garz Chan - She's Max, the Studio Executive. She's the power woman with the money and therefore gets respect, even though she's terribly annoying.

Desi Lydic - She plays Gryffyn, the stereotype of a Hollywood actress. She's full of herself and embodies just about every other idea people have about overpaid actresses.

Michael J. O'Hara - He's Herb, The Assistant. He's hoping that Invasion Iowa could be a springboard to bigger things, but he's basically incompetent. He's eager to please, but his ideas are generally lame. The actor previously had a recurring role on the show Run of the House.

Kirk Ward - As Tiny the Body Double, Bill raised him as a sort of child. He has a tendency to act rather crazy, but Bill doesn't mind. The actor has previously played roles on shows such as Malcolm in the Middle and movies such as Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet.../showid-31165/
Old 02-07-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
[obligatory]In times like this, I always refer to TvTome.com [/obligatory]
Busted!

I don't have any lame excuse for why I forgot my favorite site to get such information.
Old 02-07-05, 10:33 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
I bet that the town is in on it, and the real schmos are the audience watching.
Old 02-07-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read or heard (I can't remember) about this show a while ago. They apparently chose this town in Iowa because its Shatner's hometown and they would be eager to accomodate him.
Old 02-07-05, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I read or heard (I can't remember) about this show a while ago. They apparently chose this town in Iowa because its Shatner's hometown and they would be eager to accomodate him.
Shatner's never been there (until this show). The town successfully lobbied Gene Roddenberry years ago to make the town the birthplace of James T. Kirk.
Old 02-07-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
It's not Shatner's hometown it's Capt. James T Kirk's hometown. I know this because my boss is a Trekkie and he goes to the parade they have every year. It's only about 60 miles from where I live. He also has a big painting of the good Captain on the wall behind his desk at work but that is another story.
Old 02-07-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Shatner's never been there (until this show). The town successfully lobbied Gene Roddenberry years ago to make the town the birthplace of James T. Kirk.
Originally Posted by Mopower
It's not Shatner's hometown it's Capt. James T Kirk's hometown. I know this because my boss is a Trekkie and he goes to the parade they have every year. It's only about 60 miles from where I live. He also has a big painting of the good Captain on the wall behind his desk at work but that is another story.
NERD ALERT!

My mistake, thanks for correcting me.
Old 02-07-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember Shatner mentioned this a long time ago on Conan or some other talk show. I can't wait to check it out.
Old 02-07-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hasn't this sort of reality show already been done? It was called something like Project Greenlight...
Old 02-08-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Hasn't this sort of reality show already been done? It was called something like Project Greenlight...
This has been done, but it was called Joe Schmo/Joe Schmo 2. In Project Greenlight the project/contest was not a ruse as it is in this case.
Old 02-08-05, 12:59 PM
Suspended

So a production team decends on a small town and goes through the motions of making a movie. But the catch is that there's no film in the cameras - but they shoot all the behind the scenes stuff instead. . . so the series is a documentary about making a movie?

WTF? So what the hell is the big deal? Aside from the gimmick of Captain Kirk, I dont get it.
Old 02-08-05, 05:11 PM

Did you watch either Joe Schmo show? It'll probably be Shatner and crew acting wacky...
Old 02-08-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by El-Kabong
So a production team decends on a small town and goes through the motions of making a movie. But the catch is that there's no film in the cameras - but they shoot all the behind the scenes stuff instead. . . so the series is a documentary about making a movie?

WTF? So what the hell is the big deal? Aside from the gimmick of Captain Kirk, I dont get it.
totally agree,,, i guess i don't get the joke either
Old 02-08-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El-Kabong

Read the links. This is not a documentary except in perhaps a very loose sense. The "Hollywood" people are actors playing parts and following a loose script 24/7 without the knowledge of the townspeople. The "making of" documentary is simply an excuse to mike and film the townspeople in order to capture their natural reactions to the actors playing "themselves," which is the actual point of the whole show.
Old 03-29-05, 01:12 AM

Just a reminder, this show starts today (Tuesday) at 9pm ET, with a repeat airing at 11pm. (SpikeTV)

Entertainment weekly gave this show a pretty mediocre rating.. It'll be interesting to see if it has any Joe Schmo-like appeal...
Old 03-29-05, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 157 Posts
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-29-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
Hmmm. Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.
Old 03-29-05, 09:44 AM

Tuesday at 9pm? That's the slot of death. I'll set it up to record one of the repeats.
Old 03-29-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's got Shatner, I'll be watching.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.