Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
An actual musician, not lip synching!
Are you sure about that?
Old 02-07-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
I've seen McCartney live in concert, and it's the best concert I've ever attended, so I wasn't surprised the halftime show was so good. I guessed he would sing both "Live and Let Die" and "Hey Jude" - he does the pyrotechinics thing for "Live and Let Die" during his concert (although on a smaller scale) - so it was a no-brainer for the Super Bowl, and he always closes his concerts with the "Hey Jude" sing-a-long. I was hoping he'd open with "Hello Goodbye", since that's what he usually opens with on tour. I, too, would have liked for halftime to have been a little longer (maybe two or three more songs)...and when do you ever say that about the Super Bowl halftime?! (Okay, maybe the year they had "Elvis Presto" in 3-D...NOT!)

Scott - Paul was DEFINITLEY singing live. Although he might have been the only one in last night's line-up.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 02-07-05 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-07-05, 03:08 PM

I for one enjoyed it immensly and I am 35 by the way!!

Hellva lot better then that crap fest we were subjected to last year!

Take care all!!
Old 02-07-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
I thought it was great, I wished he played more songs.
Just what I thought.
Old 02-07-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
I'm 21 and I loved the halftime show. I am also a fan of Paul and the Beatles btw. That had to be one of the best halftime shows that I remember. It blew Shania and Janet away.
Old 02-07-05, 03:34 PM

I thought the state was neat. Wasn't too impressed with the first 2 songs. Live and Let die and Hey Jude were good songs. I wished he would have chosen some more songs that got the audience into it.
Old 02-07-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmacsg1
Hellva lot better then that crap fest we were subjected to last year!
amen brother.

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Elton John/Billy Joel
Old 02-07-05, 06:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I thought it was great, just wished he would have played the entire hey jude! What is his full playlist when he goes on tour?
Old 02-07-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought he was great....but no Up With People.
Old 02-07-05, 09:07 PM
Banned

It was good. Not as good as U2, but I'll take a couple of Beatles songs over Janet any fucking day of the week even if both her titties busted out and started flopping around for all of America to see.
Old 02-07-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was excellent and the best half time show in my memory. It didn't hurt that I caught in HD / 5.1.

I admit to being biased since I'm a huge Beatles fan and have seen McCartney live several times. The song selection was pretty predictable but as Shannon Nutt already explained, two of them were for obvious reasons.
I was kind of expecting Let It Be so I was pleasnatly surprised that he went with Get Back and Drive My Car.

When I saw McCartney live I saw many people who were under 40 and loving every minute of it. He's talking about touring the USA again this fall and I would highly recommend getting out to see him.
Old 02-07-05, 09:32 PM
Banned

I'm 22 and while I enjoy the music of The Beatles couldn't that have gotten someone a little more recent? Maybe Puffy or Jet or something?
Old 02-07-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm 23 and thought it was a great halftime show. There is a lot to be said for being understated. Aside from the 4 screens and a little pyrotechnics, it was mostly just Paul singing some good songs. That's how it should be, in my opinion.
Old 02-07-05, 11:41 PM
Banned

This is pathetic.....http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...en_tv_eo/15868

WOW people have become so consumed with trash that when they hear great music they don't even know it. How sad!!!! In this day and age there are very few people whjo are making quality music, let's be thankful we got to hear one of the all-time greats.
Old 02-08-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a halftime show it was very good, but half time shows suck so that's not saying much. It was too long too. They should have trimmed a song. If you want to watch a concert...watch a concert.

Still, they have to satisfy an awfully large audience, so I will give them credit for at least booking a performer that most football fans enjoy on some level. I would be hard pressed to find performers more outside the football demo than Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson. Maybe Barney the dinosaur and the Indigo Girls.
Old 02-08-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
I thought he was great....but no Up With People.
I really missed their rendition of "Hooray for Everything."
Old 02-08-05, 01:21 AM

My posts are long but if you don't like to read, you know how to use the scroll button. But please don't I really enjoyed this halftime show, and I'm 22 not 45. Paul sounded great live, and I can't think of a better song to close on and get the crowd involved with like "Hey Jude". So his songs were hits 30+ years ago...who cares? They're still great, and I had fun singing along. Maybe tweens would rather have seen Good Charlotte or Hilary Duff up there, but I'm glad instead they chose a rock legend who knows how to put on a great show for all audiences. No, there wasn't anything shocking like last year, but that's not a bad thing. I'm a huge Janet fan, but her frequent lip-synching was boring me and if it wasn't for her boob making an appearance no one would even remember that performance. I'm interested to see how Madonna would do if she ever did a SB.

I think people griping about the halftime show just love to bitch. There are VERY few rock acts still performing that can appeal to a mass crowd. Bands like Nickelback and 3 Doors Down: boring as hell to me. Jet and The Killers are pretty good newer acts, but combined they have what two or three hits that people know? I just can't imagine them getting a big crowd going like U2 or McCartney. And no one should let Ashlee Simpson or her brand of "rock" near a big football event ever again.

Hip hop and r&b are dominating the charts these days, so I guess one of those acts would have been a more "hip" halftime perfomer. But I can't stand Usher's arrogant overexposed ass or the media whore that is P. Diddy, so the less I see of them the better. Alicia Keys was great on the pre-show, but I don't know about a whole halftime of just her. Eminem doing this type of event would probably suck because there'd be about a 15-minute delay. I'm already curious who'll they'll get next year.

U2, The Stones, and Aerosmith are about the only bands who immediately come to mind as great stadium acts that can successfully pull off a Super Bowl type event. Dave Matthews Band....eh maybe. I've always liked Green Day so I would include them too. Plus, they're hot now so no one can say they're not "relevant". And personally, seeing the original five Guns N' Roses back together rocking something like the SB would be a dream, but that's probably all it'll ever be. There are plenty of others I'd love to see, like Elton John or Springsteen, but people under 40 are supposed to hate geezer acts like them, right? I hate that type of narrow-minded view of things. To me music, like film or any type of art, is either good or bad, and whether it's old or new really makes no difference. I'm all for giving credit to new stuff that's original and exciting. I've just seen very little of it in recent years. So much of what comes out now seems derivative or deadly dull. I love exploring things that came before me and I always will, but to each his own I guess.

Last edited by gnradd21; 02-08-05 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-08-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
What did you guys think of the SuperBowl halftime show?
The choice of Pauls' songs.

He almost put everyone in the room to sleep. Could he be any less average? Its hard to believe that guy was a Beatle. I'm sure it was great for the 50 and over crowd though.
Old 02-08-05, 04:31 AM
Banned

Boring to some yes, but that's to the crowd that enjoyed last year's half time show.
So the majority enjoyed it.
Let's face the facts if Paul tours he's going to sell out stadiums, so there's more people who like him that don't.
Old 02-08-05, 07:28 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Paul was great too!

However, being the cynical, everything is corporate type, I have a couple of questions/thoughts:

1) "Drive my Car"...........Fox is airing the Daytona 500. They promoted it heavily during the broadcast of the game. Anyone else think they may have asked Paul to play that one?

2) The "na na na cards".........Yes, it was kind of neat, and our country's colors are Red, White, and Blue........but I could have sworn it looked like the Pepsi logo/color scheme to me............

Just some random thoughts.....
Old 02-08-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The fireworks were cool...I didn't realize they had somebody singing. I must have fallen asleep.
Old 02-09-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any Macca fan has to be happy he did the Super Bowl halftime. I've seen him on two different tours and he always gives a great show.
Old 02-09-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by outlaw1323
I thought it was great, just wished he would have played the entire hey jude! What is his full playlist when he goes on tour?
It varies. You have no less than THREE different DVDs out there of concerts from three different tours if you'd like to check out his set lists.

Paul McCartney's Get Back World Tour
Paul Is Live In Concert
Back In The USA

(of course, what we need now is a DVD release of Rockshow, his tour with Wings via '76)

As with any artist, if he has a new album out it's going to fluctuate a bit, and in McCartney's case the man has 40 plus years worth of material to choose from as well as his penchant for enjoying covering old stuff he grew up listening to.
Old 02-09-05, 03:52 PM

To the folks that would like a longer Half-time show. Will probably never happen 15 minutes is about the limit. Remember that they have to spend about 5-10 minutes after the 1st half to set up the stage and stuff. 15 minutes of show, then about another 10-15 minutes to tear down the stage so the field is ready for the 2nd half.

Unless they skip the 1st half highlights stuff right after the close of the first half, have the half-time performers set up someplace other than the stadium, and forget about having any commericals between the end of the 1st half and the 2nd half kick-off They will never have longer half-time shows. Remember the real main event is the Football Game, not the singer during halftime. Although the money spent on the half-time show is probably equal to the amount of the 30 second commercial costs.
Old 02-09-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does anyone know the name of Paul's drummer? I loved his stage presence and the power he projected.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.