Reload this Page >

Carnivále - Creed, OK - Sunday 1/6/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-06-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin is pushed by Dolan to make a difficult decision; Iris gives an important dictation; Ben has a nightmare visit with a mask-maker; Ruthie shares her visions with Sofie, who decides to help Ben; Rita Sue is generous with Stumpy, who bets on a big fight; Libby fishes for a compliment from Jones; Stroud continues his pursuit of Ben; and Justin receives a mysterious gift that gives him a new perspective. Don't miss the all new episode "Creed, OK" this Sunday, February 6th at 9PM ET. In case you missed the last episode catch up in our episode guide.

Just saw the episode while taking a break from a damn report and DAMN was it good. Looks like next week will be better though!
Old 02-06-05, 09:23 PM

Spoiler:
I guess the old guy did drug ben and make a mask, and what was the deal with the blood whose was it?

Another good episode IMO. Can't wait for next week.
Old 02-06-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can they keep getting better!? I don't know if spoiler tags are still required after the first airing, so I'll err on the side of caution here...

Spoiler:
I still can't get enough of Stroud, can't wait to see what he does to the Carnivale. I got chills when Appy spoke to Sofie. The whole mask thing was very predictable from the drugging to the dream to the gift to Brother Justin, but damn if it wasn't fun! The scene in the workshop was one of the creepiest things I think I've ever seen.

The only bad thing for me is that this season is almost halfway over
Old 02-06-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. They finally cleared up the disappearance of Catalina.
Old 02-06-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Shit, this is the best show on television. Unbelievable.

* Is Samson going to be picking a number for Lodz's death? This keeps coming up, and the "Pick a Number" episode from season one makes great foreshadowing.

* Anyone else get the feeling Dolan's going to be coming to a messy end shortly? He's in hell of a position, and has no idea as to who he's actually dealing with. Makes a great contrast with Balthus, who's essentially at the full mercy of the devil himself with the full knowledge of the truth, while Dolan just keeps digging deeper and deeper, blissfully unaware...

* Ben getting the mask made was creepy as shit. Very nightmarish. I wonder what purpose Scudder's mask was made for -- was it so Grandma could see through is eyes? Any significance that both masks are now broken?

* Sophie was reading the cards the whole time. One thing I didn't catch was what was the final card Sophie read... The Sun or The Moon? At first blush, it would appear that it was The Sun (False sun over Trinity), but the howling wolf is an image from The Moon card. Ben and Sophie as The Lovers... interesting. And the other card, was it Two of Swords? (That would make an interesting run of cards...)

* Loved Samson's description of Stroud, when Ben asked if he was law. No, he had dead man's eyes. More at home behind bars than in front of them.
Old 02-06-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody else think Dolan signed his own confession while listening to Iris' statement? Much like the doc at the hospital wrote Justin's thoughts back in season 1. I'm constantly impressed with how well thought-out the whole series seems to have been from day one.

I heard a rumor that HBO has committed to 3 seasons regardless of ratings. Does anyone know if that's true?
Old 02-07-05, 10:53 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
2/6

What I can't believe is that EW gave this show a C-.
Old 02-07-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
How exactly did we clear up Catalina's dissapearance?
Old 02-07-05, 11:41 AM

It's getting better each week.
I thought the first two episodes kind of crept along slowly though.
I really do enjoy this show.
Old 02-07-05, 12:29 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
How exactly did we clear up Catalina's dissapearance?
It was easy to miss because I think they were tuning the radio at the time and Catalina is mentioned in the background dialogue. I believe someone said she just left, with speculation that it was with Lodz.
Old 02-07-05, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

* Loved Samson's description of Stroud, when Ben asked if he was law. No, he had dead man's eyes. More at home behind bars than in front of them.

i think sampson is the coolest character on the show. why cant this actor win an emmy or sag award or something rather than one of the desperate housewives or sara jessica parker?
Old 02-07-05, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by dilligaf
i think sampson is the coolest character on the show. why cant this actor win an emmy or sag award or something rather than one of the desperate housewives or sara jessica parker?
Agreed - he deserves some sort of recognition for his performance on this show.
Old 02-07-05, 09:43 PM

Just watched this week's episode. Great hour of TV! The Apostle is getting closer and closer and is only a matter of time before he finds Ben. Upon first glance, I knew that mask-maker would be up to no good.
Old 02-08-05, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
I heard a rumor that HBO has committed to 3 seasons regardless of ratings. Does anyone know if that's true?
I sure as hell hope so!

Also, looks like we now know whose clothes Iris was burning that night - hers, to erase evidence of her burning down the orphanage.
Old 02-09-05, 12:39 AM

This episode was great.
Spoiler:
Sophie's visit from her Mom was creepy as fuck.

these episodes do keep getting better, after the first two, i was worried this season wasn't going to work as well, because it was feeling contrived, but from the third on, they have been great, and this one was the best so far.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
* Sophie was reading the cards the whole time. One thing I didn't catch was what was the final card Sophie read... The Sun or The Moon? At first blush, it would appear that it was The Sun (False sun over Trinity), but the howling wolf is an image from The Moon card. Ben and Sophie as The Lovers... interesting. And the other card, was it Two of Swords? (That would make an interesting run of cards...)
The last card was "La Luna" it did look like a sun, but it was labeled the moon, so i guess that was what it was. The first card was the "2 of wands."
Old 02-09-05, 01:31 AM

I forgot to comment on the Ep but I gotta agree, when Sophies mom came out I got fuckin freaked out. Was it me or did the voice sound male? I had no idea who it was till they showed the face, it was a great camera angle but it looked like Appy was "hung or hanged"

I knew the mask maker had made the mask, but I thought they would show Ben later finding some plaster on his face or something, I didnt think theyd move so fast and have the mask sent to Justin. As far as it bleeding, Im guessing it bled because it was "living" in a way and connected to the people. But Scudders never bled.

Stroud has also been fantastic and I think the actor is great. Hes very versitile as seen in Gothika to Face Off to Drew Carrey. My sister commented that she cant stand him because he just seems creepy and that something aint right with him. Maybe thats why he was cast, lol. And Ill toss in that Samson does deserve some recognition. Hes fantastic and steals every scene hes in. Even my old man commented on how great he is and he doesnt do that often. And yes Ive gotten my whole fam into the show

Oh and how the hell did they know to go to Montana? I missed how they came to that conclusion so easily. I plan on watching the EP again soon as Im seeing each EP twice this season.
Old 02-09-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Montana?
Old 02-09-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They're heading to Damascus, Nebraska. The only connection they made was from Ben's vision of the dog and the wolf howling at the moon with the two towers in the background during the card reading and Samson showing Ben a postcard from that town with a very similar image on it. Ben confirmed that's what he saw and Samson told Management that's where they need to go next. I bet that'll piss off some of the other folk going all the way from OK to NE without stopping anywhere in between, namely Kansas. Gotta get money wherever they can. I sense more division amongst the carnies soon.
Old 02-09-05, 03:02 PM

Ahhh, Nebrask. I was thinking Montanna because I had just finished reading a review of Deadwood (Seth Bullock aka Montana)

And Pinata if you watched the preview for next week, it looks like Ben and Sophie take off to Nebraska alone. That episode is going to be the shit!
Old 02-09-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I kinda stopped taking the previews at face value. I've also seen Sofie be in a car, ready to leave before and it didn't seem to pan out then. Poor girl can't get away

Speaking of the preview and Sofie...
Spoiler:
Anyone else notice what looked like a quick 3-frame shot of a little girl with black eyes? Could this be some sort of flashback to reveal something evil in her??? Check it out here http://www.themidway.org/colossus.html Its at the 0:38 mark. Could just be shadows and my imagination
Old 02-09-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Interesting spread of Tarot cards:

Two of Wands -- The two of wands portends that something unexpected will happen, and that it could result in failure or present an obstacle to one's mission. (Stroud?)

The Lovers -- Union of opposites or a mystical bond between two similar spirits

The Moon -- Mystery; Deception; Power; Danger. In most traditional decks, the moon is shown with a dog and wolf howling at it (symbolic of man's animal nature) and a lobster or crab beneath the canines emerging from a lake/ocean (possibly symbolic the zodiac sign Cancer) with two towers in the background.