The Return of Chuck - The third rail of Happy Days
Old 02-03-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both Chucks no less.
Old 02-03-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always remembered Chuck but didnt realize there was two of them,good too see he wasnt forgotten
Old 02-03-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both Chucks had the WTF Am I Doing Here I Worked On the Show for Six Weeks expressions.

I could've done with less of the softball game and more clips and Q&A.

The show wasn't sophisticated, but boy did I love it when I was a lad. I had the toys, the lunchbox, the board game, the trading cards. I practiced my "Ayyyyy", "Howareya howareya howareya", and "Sit on it!". I was on the edge of my seat when Fonzie jumped his motorcycle over the cars, I clapped & cheered whenever the bullies were vanquished. People were either cool or nerds. When it was announced that Fonzie was going to sing, I was so excited, I didn't know which ear to stand on. I watched it right up to the end of the series, and cried during the last episode.
Old 02-03-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Correction... 31st.
Old 02-04-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Both Chucks had the WTF Am I Doing Here I Worked On the Show for Six Weeks expressions.

I could've done with less of the softball game and more clips and Q&A.

The show wasn't sophisticated, but boy did I love it when I was a lad. I had the toys, the lunchbox, the board game, the trading cards. I practiced my "Ayyyyy", "Howareya howareya howareya", and "Sit on it!". I was on the edge of my seat when Fonzie jumped his motorcycle over the cars, I clapped & cheered whenever the bullies were vanquished. People were either cool or nerds. When it was announced that Fonzie was going to sing, I was so excited, I didn't know which ear to stand on. I watched it right up to the end of the series, and cried during the last episode.
And how 'bout the time he jumped his motorcycle over the great white shark?

Old 02-04-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was impressed because it didn't seem like they left anything out.

However, when they spoke about "Jump the Shark", I would have loved it if they would have mentioned Ted McGinley!
Old 02-04-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A decent reunion special. Probably one of the better ones I've watched over the last decade, although I still wish these shows could save all this "trip down memory lane" stuff for the DVD's. If they're going to get the entire cast back together, write a 30 minute script and revisit the story for one more night... But I say that after every reunion special.

As a couple others have mentioned, it was nice to have a fairly lengthy mention of the "Jump the Shark" debacle and it's meaning today. Refreshing to see a reunion show that is willing to bring up some of the less stellar/infamous moments that derived from the series.
Old 02-04-05, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

UUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I have thought about this show for the last two weeks and kept telling myself and friends I would have to tape it. Guess what....I forgot to tape the show. Anyone hear of a possible dvd release for this show yet?
Old 02-04-05, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
I flipped thru it and was wondering why Bill Maher was on it, then realized it was Donnie Most.........
Old 02-04-05, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jobronie
I flipped thru it and was wondering why Bill Maher was on it, then realized it was Donnie Most.........
Did he speak at all during the show? I only saw the last 30 minutes, and there were only cutaway shots of him grinning.
Old 02-04-05, 07:33 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that show. This special brought back a lot of memories. Damn, I'm old.
Old 02-04-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shemp
Did he speak at all during the show? I only saw the last 30 minutes, and there were only cutaway shots of him grinning.
He did explain where he got the Ralph Malph catchphrase, "I still got it!", but they focused more on Ron Howard, naturally. He even took off his cap!
Old 02-04-05, 08:15 AM

I have to say..Gary Marshall has a great presence. He reminds me of the great comediens who are great of the cuff improvs. He was extremely comfortable in front of the camera. In another life he could have been a late night talk show...he has that type of delivery and composure with free flowing conversations. I was extremely impressed. Kudos.

The Dallas sports station the Ticket uses the phrase "jump the shark" quite a bit. I couldn't figure out what exactly it meant as they never really used it in context that helped identify what it meant. As soon as they mentioned the "most talked about moment" last night on the teaser I instantly knew what the phrase meant. But the definition Gary Marshall gave was more descriptive. I concluded it meant the moment the show begins it's decline. However it being due to an outlandish or out of character episode really added the extra oomph to get the real meaning of the episode.

I am 32 but I don't know if I watched it first run or reruns. I remember the early episodes so obviously I watched some reruns...but I still wonder if I caught the first run showings.

I also wonder if I have seen every episode. Many of the clips did seem familiar whatsoever. The show was very near and dear to my early years. It embodied the classic american home. Great memories.

I can't see ABC not rerunning this episode on a Saturday...hopefully they will as I missed much of it. Did it have way too many commercials or was I just catching the parts that lead into the breaks?
Did Ted McGinley make an appearance? I can't see him turning most any tv appearance down? I imagine they didn't want to have T.V.'s first "Jump the Shark" moment within a broadcast.

Did it not look like "Chachi" wanted to be anywhere but there?

Wow! I did not realize erin moran and scott baio were the same age...he has kept up very well with time...he apparently has Dick Clark syndrome.

Last edited by maxpower; 02-04-05 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-04-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cathy Silvers, who played Jenny Piccalo, looked pretty damned hot for an older woman with 5 daughters. They briefly showed her in the stands during the softball game.
Old 02-04-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by maxpower

Did Ted McGinley make an appearance? I can't see him turning most any tv appearance down? I imagine they didn't want to have T.V.'s first "Jump the Shark" moment within a broadcast.
Ted made an appearance during the cast softball game.

Wow! I did not realize erin moran and scott baio were the same age...he has kept up very well with time...he apparently has Dick Clark syndrome.
Well, he is only 43 -- not exactly ancient!
Old 02-04-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did it not look like "Chachi" wanted to be anywhere but there?
I thought the exact same thing. He never applauded when everyone else did, and just didn't seem that into it. Maybe the show didn't touch him the way it did the other cast members. I'm sure he will act differently when there is a "Charles in Charge" reunion.....with BOTH families.

He did however give props to Garry Marshall, which was good.
Old 02-04-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shoot! I missed this one too. I hope they repeat it sometime in the future since this and Laverne and Shirley were "must see tv" for me growing up.
Old 02-04-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I missed the first 2/3 of it but what I saw was great. I'm glad to see Joanie got over her god squad complex and joined the rest of them this time. And yes, Scott Baio looked bored as hell.

It really was a great show. Of my childhood i remember two distinct "Nights" of TV: Tuesdays on ABC with Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, and Saturdays on ABC with Love Boat and Fantasy Island. Looked forward to Tuesday nights every week for years. Good show ole chap.....good show!
Old 02-04-05, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Ted made an appearance during the cast softball game.

Well, he is only 43 -- not exactly ancient!
I guess maybe I should have phrased it...What's up with Erin? She's only 43 but looks beat.
Old 02-04-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where was Al? Is he still living.
Love how Erin Moran teared up during the Joannie Loves Chachie montage.
Get me a tissue.
Old 02-04-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The show does bring back some memories. I loved it when I was kid but pretty much stopped watching when Ron Howard and others left. Doing the Fonzie "thumbs up" and the "Ayyyyyyy" was something that was done a lot back then. In my second grade class photo from 1975, three guys did the thumbs up gesture, including me.

No Robin Williams, no Roz Kelly. It was just as well on the latterl. When she was arrested a few years ago, she looked ghastly in her mug shot. They didn't bring up Fonzie's leather jacket controversy? I remember ABC objected him wearing one because it made him look like a hoodlum. Garry Marshall got around this by having Fonzie almost always with the motorcycle, so the jacket could be worn in the interests of safety.

They probably could have thrown in more gag reels or deleted scenes.
Old 02-04-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Pinky Tuscadero?
Old 02-04-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eplicon
The show does bring back some memories. I loved it when I was kid but pretty much stopped watching when Ron Howard and others left. Doing the Fonzie "thumbs up" and the "Ayyyyyyy" was something that was done a lot back then. In my second grade class photo from 1975, three guys did the thumbs up gesture, including me.

No Robin Williams, no Roz Kelly. It was just as well on the latterl. When she was arrested a few years ago, she looked ghastly in her mug shot. They didn't bring up Fonzie's leather jacket controversy? I remember ABC objected him wearing one because it made him look like a hoodlum. Garry Marshall got around this by having Fonzie almost always with the motorcycle, so the jacket could be worn in the interests of safety.

They probably could have thrown in more gag reels or deleted scenes.
They mentioned the leather jacket controversy and Marshall stated that the windbreaker that ABC had the Fonze wear ended up in a dumpster and the leather jacket was in the Smithstonian.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.