Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The National Anthem on early morning TV?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 04:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In movies if somebody was up watching TV all night (Poltergeist) and they fell asleep you could see the flag and the Star Spangled Banner playing on the boob tube.

Do they actually show this in the morning and on what network?

I never watched TV around that time and I was curious if TV stations actually broadcast this.
Old 01-14-05, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Stations used to sign off at night, and (definitely some) would play the National Anthem and show some sort of patriotic footage.

It may still happen, but very few stations nowadays sign off.
Old 01-14-05, 04:47 AM
ams

Usually it is the local stations that still do this. Your national networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, etc...) go on all night.
Old 01-14-05, 05:16 AM
Suspended

The arrival of the infomercial pretty much killed that. TV is 24 hours now.
Old 01-14-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The national anthem during late night was often used as a "hey asshole, you fell asleep on the couch -- get the hell up and go to bed now" alarm.
Old 01-14-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Stations used to sign off at night, and (definitely some) would play the National Anthem and show some sort of patriotic footage.

It may still happen, but very few stations nowadays sign off.

And when the stations came back on in the early morning, they would start out with an episode of "Modern Agriculture".
It would be awhile before the cartoons started up.
Old 01-14-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Forum Troll
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
The national anthem during late night was often used as a "hey asshole, you fell asleep on the couch -- get the hell up and go to bed now" alarm.
Yep. Now I usually wake up to some guy screaming about how you can become a millionaire by buying cheap real estate with no money down.
Old 01-14-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I'm compiling a DVD of station sign-offs. Around 1986 I actually stayed up just to record them, and I've found a few used tapes that people recorded til the stations went off the air. I got a bunch of old Beta tapes from someone on Ebay, and one had a late-night showing of the movie "Help" on KABC in Los Angeles in 1978, and they signed off after the movie with an unbelievable synthesizer version of the national anthem. They also showed a film of an Air Force plane with a guy reading a poem called "High Flight", there were at least 2 versions of this that some stations would show before going off the air. After the national anthem there'd usually be about 20 seconds of color bars then they would turn off the signal completely.
In the morning they'd turn the signal back on about 15 minutes or so before the first show of the day was supposed to start, first with color bars then a sign-on announcement which sometimes also had the national anthem. I left the VCR running a few times to catch those, but don't think I saved any of them.
Old 01-18-05, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Old 01-18-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
God, I feel so old.

And BTW, the local Atlanta CBS affiliate - who is NBC now, I think - used to play the nation anthem followed by footage of the nightly parade thingy at Disney World. I remember once when I was really young - 5 or 6 - being up late one night and crying when the parade came on 'cos I wanted to go back!
Old 01-18-05, 05:10 PM

We used to see the national anthem spots all the time when stations signed back on again in early morning hours when we couldn't sleep any longer and wanted to watch cartoons or epsiodes of Thunderbirds.

Back then, it was even more interesting when the channels all had the circular test patterns with the station IDs and they all had a different pitch tone when you changed channels!
Old 01-18-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Am I remembering this correctly or did I just dream it up...didn't one of the test patterns have an indian chief type logo?
Old 01-18-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My local PBS affililiate in GA signs off with a video montage of scenic nature shots from around the state and "Georgia on My Mind" playing. They can use it to sign off but NBC can't leave it in a single episode of Quantum Leap?! But I digress.
Old 01-18-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Am I remembering this correctly or did I just dream it up...didn't one of the test patterns have an indian chief type logo?
Like this?

Old 10-07-05, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm compiling a DVD of station sign-offs. Around 1986 I actually stayed up just to record them, and I've found a few used tapes that people recorded til the stations went off the air. I got a bunch of old Beta tapes from someone on Ebay, and one had a late-night showing of the movie "Help" on KABC in Los Angeles in 1978, and they signed off after the movie with an unbelievable synthesizer version of the national anthem. They also showed a film of an Air Force plane with a guy reading a poem called "High Flight", there were at least 2 versions of this that some stations would show before going off the air. After the national anthem there'd usually be about 20 seconds of color bars then they would turn off the signal completely.
In the morning they'd turn the signal back on about 15 minutes or so before the first show of the day was supposed to start, first with color bars then a sign-on announcement which sometimes also had the national anthem. I left the VCR running a few times to catch those, but don't think I saved any of them.
OMG, I LOVED that synthesized version of the SSB and I have been looking for it! I recently acquired an MP3 of this music and have been searching feverishly for any video of this sign off! I have seen this sign off on KCOP 13 as well as KABC7. If you plan on selling this DVD, please let me know about any future plans you have. I'd like to work up a deal with you on this!

Thank you, Terrance Tucker
SoCalTV Fan
Old 10-07-05, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalTVFan76
OMG, I LOVED that synthesized version of the SSB and I have been looking for it! I recently acquired an MP3 of this music and have been searching feverishly for any video of this sign off! I have seen this sign off on KCOP 13 as well as KABC7. If you plan on selling this DVD, please let me know about any future plans you have. I'd like to work up a deal with you on this!

Thank you, Terrance Tucker
SoCalTV Fan
P.S. Please leave a private message as I am a newbie in this message board! Thanks!
Old 10-07-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Forum Troll
One reason why they're running infomercials now is the fact the station itself actually gets a cut of the revenue from infomercial-based sales. Is it small wonder why when cable channels go offline in the early morning hours they switch to infomercials?

(By the way, an interesting tidbit--until recently BET cable channel used to run infomercials on Sundays from mid-morning on. They reputedly earned over US$1,000,000 per year from such programming.)
Old 10-07-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts
A cut of the revenue? I thought they just bought the timeslot airtime--a 30 minute commercial.
Old 10-07-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Another thing that infomercials killed was the all night movie marathons. I can still remember watching old movies on KTLA (ch 5) until I fell asleep. It seemed like every commercial minute was bought by Cal Worthington.

There was also a channel that stayed on the air all night with an automated camera that panned back and forth across a wall with a clock, a thermomenter, and a barometer. Does anybody remember what channel did this?
Old 11-02-05, 12:59 PM

Speakeing of local-TV sign offs, I recently bought some used blank VHS tapes and found a cool sign off film from KCOP and it's National Anthem involved Navy Officers saluting the flag while the SSB is played by a Navy marching band. I would love to trade this film with ANYONE who has the KABC Sign Off films. My address is [email protected] IF interested! Thanks!

SoCalTVFan76
Old 11-02-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalTVFan76
P.S. Please leave a private message as I am a newbie in this message board! Thanks!
How about ripping that sucker to an mp3 and letting us all hear it?
Old 11-02-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The last time I saw a station sign off was when I lived in West Virginia. The Beckley ABC affiliate would sign off at around 1 AM on Monday mornings each week. This was still happening as late as 1998.
Old 11-02-05, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
How about ripping that sucker to an mp3 and letting us all hear it?
Certainnly but how can I post it in the group?

SoCalTVFan76
Old 11-02-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Haven't been watching wgn here in Chicago at 5 or 6 am in the morning, but I have a suspicion they still pay the star spangled banner with a flag in the wind in the morning. Hell, they still do that stupid station identification thing in the middle of the Bulls game, bastards!!! Who doesn't have a program guide at this point that they need a station id for tv? Give me a break.
Old 11-02-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aren't television stations required to provide station identification like once an hour or so?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.