DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Alias 01/12/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/404746-alias-01-12-05-a.html)

Chew 01-12-05 05:56 AM

Alias 01/12/05

http://a.abc.com/images/20040920/466...lia_cast01.jpg

Episode Title: "The Awful Truth"

Spoiler:
To learn the location of a stolen NSA code-breaker, an undercover Sydney must convince a murderous arms dealer to fall in love with her. Meanwhile, Vaughn fears that Weiss might have been killed on a mission, and Sydney and Jack argue about telling Nadia the horrible truth about her mother, Irina.

Hubcap 01-12-05 10:07 AM

hopefully its a good one!

Morf 01-12-05 10:13 AM

I look forward to any episode with a storyline involving
Spoiler:
Weiss

Link_182 01-12-05 08:12 PM

Wow, the music playing in the background there was Driveshaft, the fictional band Charlie from Lost is in. Very cool.

Third Baseman 01-12-05 09:02 PM

Awesome.

Snowmaker 01-12-05 09:03 PM

Well, I watched again. I'm still having trouble getting into it. I think I'm over-analyzing the show. Is each episode related to the last one, or is it a different story/case each week?

Patman 01-12-05 09:14 PM

Usually, there are arcs in the show, so standalone episodes aren't really the focus, it's more about serialized storytelling.

Overall, not a bad episode, it dealt with the whole "My name is Nadia, you killed my mother, prepare to die" subplot for the time being, with Jack being sneaky Jack, with the help of Sloane's approval. That question-n-answer session between Jack and Nadia felt like the scene from Blade Runner.

Weiss finally get let in on the whole APO deal (though it was highly convenient for him to be the one that got captured). So the gang all back together, including Weiss, I guess.

How fast can APO get from the US to Spain and still be there in time for Nadia to get her revenge? She's one lethal momma, and yet amazingly disarming when she wants to be (flirting with birthday boy earlier in the episode).

Marshall's presence livens up what could be a rather droll show at times. His telling Vaughn to shut up was great.

lwhy? 01-12-05 09:26 PM

Yeah Patman the Q & A session was alot like Blade Runner. Pretty good episode tonight. The Lost Alias block is one good night of tv. I wonder is Weiss is going to join APO now?

Superman07 01-12-05 09:29 PM

I especially liked the "Sorry." "No! That was good."

Meanwhile, I feel like the show is flat and too episodic. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's not Rambaldi every week, but I also feel like this season has no direction. At least in the first season she was living the double life and trying not to get caught. Now she's going off on her little jaunts every week for such and such a reason, but there's nothing to it other than that. The only thing resembling a thread this season is that they will draw out Jack keeping his secret from Nadia as long as possible.

Bigsierra 01-12-05 09:41 PM

Who is the big villian in this season? Who is the outsider now that Weiss knows everything? Maybe they have some overarching goal in what they are doing that I'm missing, but so far it just seems like they've done a couple of missions without going anywhere.

mookiemeister 01-12-05 10:14 PM

I think the woman who interrogated Sydney in last week's season premiere episode said they are also watching Sloane closely to catch him if he betray them.

Did they ever have a scene between Dixon and Sloane to show how Dixon come to forgive Sloane killing his wife? I missed a few episodes last season so I might not be up on the relationship between those two people. But right now, it's not clear why Dixon wouldn't still be mad at Sloane for killing his wife.

Ranger 01-12-05 10:21 PM

An okay episode, but there were some good lines.

B.A. 01-12-05 11:32 PM

The more I think about it, the less I like the addition of Nadia ot the show (my wife feels the same way). Keep her as a background character - don't throw her into the forefront so quickly.

I do like this whole APO thing - it's nice seeing the combined team working together.

My favorite part of the ep, even though it involved Nadia, was when she asked Sloane if Jack was always so cold and Sloane said yes.

The killing of Bishop would have been much better if SpyDaddy was the one pulling the trigger.

MrX 01-12-05 11:35 PM

okay episode. The opening with Marshall in the field again was funny.

Nadia:drool:

Iron_Giant 01-12-05 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
okay episode. The opening with Marshall in the field again was funny.

Nadia:drool:

I loved it when Marshall told Vaughn to Shut Up.

Rogue588 01-13-05 12:23 AM

this was a "meh" episode for me.

Yes, Nadia is hot.
Yes, Marshall still rocks.

However..

I think they blew their load by assimilating Weiss into the club so quickly..
The whole "what a coininkydink that the guy we're after just happened to be the one responsible for killing your mother" thing was weak.

Oh well.

asianxcore 01-13-05 12:25 AM

Jack talking about the "e-vites" was pretty funny. something along the lines of "I don't read e-vites".

overall not a bad episode. bishop was introduced and killed rather quickly, as was Tamazaki (from the season premiere). I thought both characters could've pretty cool villians throughout the season.

DarkestPhoenix 01-13-05 12:30 AM

Fucking Iowa State Cyclones.

Played their game against Kansas State (Big Whoop) instead of Lost or Alias. Luckily they're replaying Lost again. Missed Alias, though. Guess I'll have to watch the 'internet rerun'.

More of a reason to hate the damn 'clones.

Bastards.

TheKing 01-13-05 02:58 AM

Line of the night:

Nadia: Mr. Bristow, I don't mean to sound impatient, but I've never done anything that's lasted as long as this...

Jack: How sad for you.

CLASSIC! Sexual innuendo with his daughter's half-sister!

CrashNBurn69 01-13-05 03:07 AM

i missed the last couple of minutes. can anyone tell me what happened after nadia killed the dude. my recording got cut off when sydney was getting up and about to say something.

Chew 01-13-05 06:01 AM

I agree with a previous statement, this show needs more direction. Some villain in the background for example. I hope the first few episodes are just set-up for what's to come.

meritocracy 01-13-05 08:12 AM

Direction is needed, however, I have faith that JJ and the new staff of writers have something rather devious up their collective sleeves. Hopefully, the first few episodes are simply laying the groundwork for a return to what this show does best.

Loved Jack's, "How sad for you." line. Classic indeed.

Morf 01-13-05 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Meanwhile, I feel like the show is flat and too episodic. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's not Rambaldi every week, but I also feel like this season has no direction.

Originally Posted by Bigsierra
Who is the big villian in this season? Who is the outsider now that Weiss knows everything? Maybe they have some overarching goal in what they are doing that I'm missing, but so far it just seems like they've done a couple of missions without going anywhere.

Whoa, everyone needs to settle down. This was the 2nd episode of the season. Give it time!

tofu 01-13-05 10:54 AM

I guess J.J. Abrams likes the movie "Sneakers" unless the name of the thief was another coinkydink

It seems like they're mainly going to focus on internal conflicts. I'm sure a villain will be introduced sooner or later.

I'm wondering what's going to happen to Weiss since I thought that I had read that he was going to leave for another show.

Superman07 01-13-05 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing

CLASSIC! Sexual innuendo with his daughter's half-sister!

Maybe it's me, but I did not get that out of that scene at all. I just saw it as Jack taking his job seriously, and commenting on her previous employers by saying they were not thuro enough.

Originally Posted by Morf

Whoa, everyone needs to settle down. This was the 2nd episode of the season. Give it time!

Do I need to lay out where we all were by the end of Sunday night, let alone Monday night?!

I can undertand laying ground work, but you need to give me hints of something. Like somebody walking by them all with a weird look, or s synyster person at the docks last week. So far they have killed of two of the more potential (?) villanious characters.