Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Project Greenlight Season 3 debuts 03/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Project Greenlight Season 3 debuts 03/15

Old 03-15-05, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aha! I knew I had read it. Man, it was pretty bad. Anyone else watch? I loved when Matt Damon was arguing against picking "Feast", (which was Critters in a bar) saying that Wes Craven, the master of horror thinks it sucked too? I can't wait to se where this goes.
Old 03-15-05, 10:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the plot kind of reminded me of a monster version of the bar scene from "Near Dark"

kind of ironic that Wes Craven's latest film is probably his worst.
Old 03-15-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"You have the master of horror sitting two seats away from you telling you it sucks"

@ Damon.
Old 03-15-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They certainly made me want to go read that Hanz Gubenstein script.
Old 03-16-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was much more interested in last nights episode than I thought I would be, Damon had alot to say and having Craven on board makes for a much more compelling show. Wildcard and Grubenstein both sound like real winners but the studio wins out as always like Affleck said. I am rooting for Gulager he seems like the kind of guy who might be able to elevate the Feast script into a decent film + he got dad to star in it. I thought it was funny that they showed Clu Gulager as just Jon's dad last night.
Pretty good stuff I will be tuned in throughout.
Old 03-16-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
"You have the master of horror sitting two seats away from you telling you it sucks"

@ Damon.
So how exactly was this script chosen if Matt Damon and Wes Craven didn't buy in? Was it Affleck, Chris for the script with the studio the deciding vote?
Old 03-16-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

iggystar

So how exactly was this script chosen if Matt Damon and Wes Craven didn't buy in? Was it Affleck, Chris for the script with the studio the deciding vote?
Dimension's cronies wanted it because it would be easiest to promote, and the studio's wishes trump all.

As usual, this episode was great, and I look forward to this season. The show is always more interesting than the film itself IMO, and the episodes where Damon and Affleck are involved are my favorites, since they seem to have a genuine passion for making something new and original and taking some chances.

[Paraphrasing]
Damon: Some people play the $2 trifecta and make thousands.
Moore: Yeah, and most of them live in their cars.

das
Old 03-16-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Dimension's cronies wanted it because it would be easiest to promote, and the studio's wishes trump all.

As usual, this episode was great, and I look forward to this season. The show is always more interesting than the film itself IMO, and the episodes where Damon and Affleck are involved are my favorites, since they seem to have a genuine passion for making something new and original and taking some chances.

[Paraphrasing]
Damon: Some people play the $2 trifecta and make thousands.
Moore: Yeah, and most of them live in their cars.

das
The show made the Dimenision reps look like dopes. It's funny how they know they chose the wrong script and that they admitted it needs a lot of work. Of course anything for a buck though.
Old 03-16-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So if the studio trumps all what's the point of Damon/Affleck/Craven's opinions? Do the chose the final scripts Dimension will consider? I don't remember how the first two seasons went.

I'll still watch thought because I really enjoyed the first two seasons.
Old 03-16-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn, missed it. Are they replaying this?
Old 03-16-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by iggystar
So if the studio trumps all what's the point of Damon/Affleck/Craven's opinions? Do the chose the final scripts Dimension will consider? I don't remember how the first two seasons went.

I'll still watch thought because I really enjoyed the first two seasons.
Well Affleck, Damon, and for this season Craven, are all executive producers. Which basically means they got the funding arranged. Which in this case is Dimension (previous years it was Miramax). I'm sure Dimension wanted some say in what was produced. But they're all trying to pick a winner and give an opportunity to a nobody. And the producers of the movie, Chris Moore, et. al., have to work on this thinig so you want to make them happy too.

I'm not sure they had some specific contractual arrangement for how to pick the winner, but only Affleck, Damon, and Craven seemed to be against Feast. Moore wasn't, nor were the other studio execs shown. In terms of pure numbers, the Feast side had more votes.
Old 03-16-05, 02:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

glad they picked Gulager to helm it, the guy is potentially a mad genius.
Old 03-16-05, 03:06 PM
Banned

Bravo is repeating it at various times during the week
Old 03-16-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Just saw it today... dumb choice for a script... dumb choice for a director. If I was Ben or Matt, I'd threaten to walk. They should put the money up themselves if they believe in this show so much.
Old 03-16-05, 07:39 PM
Banned

Has anyone read the "conspiracy theories" about them being more interested in putting out a good TV show rather than a good movie? Which would be why they pick who they pick.
Old 03-16-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Just saw it today... dumb choice for a script... dumb choice for a director. If I was Ben or Matt, I'd threaten to walk. They should put the money up themselves if they believe in this show so much.
I had this same thought; a couple of million for the film and then a studio to distribute -- seems simple and would get them more creative control. Of course, this DOES seem way too simple, so the reality is probably nothing like this scenario.

Re: "conspiracy theories": it IS a good show and I've found in the past 2 seasons that I couldn't care less about seeing the finished film after watching the process to get there -- maybe this year will be different.

I love how Matt Damon can use "fuck" as a modifier for everything!
Old 03-16-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the first year Ive watched the show and I really enjoyed it. I agree, I cant believe the script they picked, because it sounds about as interesting as watching paint dry, but Im glad they picked Gulager as the director, because if anything, he seems to make for some real uncomfortable moments, and is a trainwreck waiting to happen. But I do think he is probably the only chance to make this movie remotely interesting.
Old 03-16-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Assuming that everything was at it appeared and there is no "conspiracy" it seemed as though Matt and Ben felt steamrolled on the script and put their foot down for the director. Who knows though?

I really like Gulager and I was really impressed with what little I saw of his directing. He seems like the type of guy who can't really verbalize it, but he will do a really good job making it happen.

we'll see....
Old 03-16-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - the director choice is good TV, but horrible choice for director. I'm inclined to believe that conspiracy theory.
Old 03-17-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, not only is the director the perfect choice for good tv, I think he has the best chance to make a dull script interesting. Interesting in a Lynch "WTF?" sorta way, that is.

I didn't know which script won until I watched the episode, and it was certainly #3 on my list of ones I was pulling for.
Old 03-17-05, 10:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Having finally watched this, I can safely assume my script wasn't selected because it wasn't commerical enough, not because of its lack of quality.

I have yet to read 'Feast', but now I'll have to so I can get a feel on their comments about it. Considering the past two finished films from PGL have actually turned out worse than the original scripts (IMO), I have my fears about this one if they aren't even 100% behind the script from the start.
Old 03-17-05, 02:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Trigger
Yeah - the director choice is good TV, but horrible choice for director.
i'm sure the choice was made for gulager because he would bring drama/conflict to the show and because he was the best director of the three. the other two were just a pair of aspiring studio hacks.
Old 03-17-05, 02:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I noticed that IMDB has a cast/crew list for Feast was this just added after the premier of the show, or was it leaked before Bravo's airing?
Old 03-17-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The imdb stuff was up well before the premiere.
Old 03-17-05, 03:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I noticed that IMDB has a cast/crew list for Feast was this just added after the premier of the show, or was it leaked before Bravo's airing?
They actually announced the finalists/winners last summer on the PGL web site, and started filming not long after.

I wonder what the future of Project Greenlight is now that the Weinsteins are leaving.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.