Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

24 "Day 4 - 9am - 11am" -- 01.10.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 "Day 4 - 9am - 11am" -- 01.10.2005

Old 01-11-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts
I just gotta say Sunday and Monday were the 2 best nights of TV for me in a long time. I just really love this show. It's got such a great mix of action and melodrama twists and turns. Tons of fun. I think they did a great job casting the terrorist family. The mother and father are great to watch. And I'm glad to see William Devane is in this show.

I had to laugh when they introduced Driscolls daughter. It always seems like the writers introduce a few too many subplots. Does every character at CTU have some kind of personal crisis going on away from work? I'm reminded of Michele's drunk brother. The guy with the nosy manipulative ex is another I could do without. I'm waiting for them to introduce Edgars psychotic grandma.
Old 01-11-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the bank robbery was one of the best stunts Jack has pulled off. That was great It was almost as funny when Chloe told Sarah not to be Driscoll's pet, and Sarah walks off muttering, "Bitch."

The most unbelievable thing I've seen in any season of 24 was some guy sleeps with Aisha Tyler and doesn't call her back? Give me a break!
Old 01-11-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to love the trust level at CTU.
Old 01-11-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Roto
I thought the bank robbery was one of the best stunts Jack has pulled off.
Bank robbery?
Old 01-11-05, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by djbrown
Anyone else annoyed by the accent Our Mother of the Briefcase has? .
She's from Iran, she sounded like that in House of sand and fog too.
Old 01-12-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djbrown
Anyone else annoyed by the accent Our Mother of the Briefcase has? .
Although the accent DOES annoy me...Its all made good when I imagine her saying some real nasty shit to me in that crazy voice.
Old 01-12-05, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Bank robbery?
I was just checking to see who was paying attention. Congratulations, you win!
Old 01-12-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Although the accent DOES annoy me...Its all made good when I imagine her saying some real nasty shit to me in that crazy voice.

"Do I get you all hot and boddered?"
Old 01-12-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just when I think this show can't get any more over-the-top silly, it finds new ways to do so.

But, I still keep watching.

At least I don't want to throw a brick at the screen everytime Chloe shows up. Her annoyance factor has been toned down just enough.
Old 01-12-05, 12:39 PM

Did anybody happen to record the "The Shield" rerun that was on FX Sunday night? About halfway through it, there was a promo for this 2hour Monday episode of 24. Towards the end of the promo, the announcer says something about "And ending so SHOCKING..." and it shows (spoiler blocking even though it was the promo for the episode already aired):
Spoiler:
Jack standing on that road that he ends up on at the end of the episode, except there is a tanker truck and a red pickup truck there, and the red pickup truck is exploding and Jack is saying something like "NO!"

I wonder if they changed the ending of this episode at the last minute, or if they used wrong footage in the promo? Either way, I have a feeling we'll see that event happen next week.
Old 01-12-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340

Now comeon... No??
She has more acting skill in her pinky, than does Catherine
Old 01-12-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
She has more acting skill in her pinky, than does Catherine
I wish they'd only show her pinky. That chick creeps me out.
Old 01-12-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by driv3
Heller with AK owns the show
The Secretary of Defense has combat experience. Yet another unrealistic aspect of this show.
Old 01-13-05, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I have to agree with most everyone so far. This season is off to a great start. The only thing that irks me right now is how Heller acts. It's as if it's put on too much. He's not a believable character, especially when he's talking back to the terrorists which leads me to believe he may be a bad guy.
I agree. I think he's in on the shenanigans.
Old 01-13-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^Why would he attempt to break out and kill some of their men, though?
Old 01-14-05, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To make it more believable? Not really on board with the theory, but he could be in cahoots with a higher up in their organization.
Old 01-14-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of people wondered why Jack just didn't flatten the guys tires instead of kicking ass and robbing the store. Wouldn't the guy be suspicious if all of the sudden his tire was slashed or had bullet holes in it? Maybe robbing the car would have made more sense, but again there wouldn't have been any Jack jepordizing innocent lives business which makes 24 so fun. Jack not switching or deserting the car was really stupid though.

I only watched the first 5 eps or so of last year, but so far this year is great! I even like the CTU inter-tension.
Old 01-14-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
A lot of people wondered why Jack just didn't flatten the guys tires instead of kicking ass and robbing the store. Wouldn't the guy be suspicious if all of the sudden his tire was slashed or had bullet holes in it? Maybe robbing the car would have made more sense, but again there wouldn't have been any Jack jepordizing innocent lives business which makes 24 so fun. Jack not switching or deserting the car was really stupid though.

I only watched the first 5 eps or so of last year, but so far this year is great! I even like the CTU inter-tension.

Maybe he could have hurled racial names at him when he was coming out of the store? But Jack's way seemed to work out better. Unless of course, Jack doesnt get out of police custody. But somehow I think he will.
Old 01-14-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
^^Why would he attempt to break out and kill some of their men, though?

I think Heller is the stand up guy, I think
Spoiler:
.....daughter.....
is involved like someone else already stated.
Old 01-14-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think Heller is the stand up guy, I think
Spoiler:
.....daughter.....
is involved like someone else already stated.
IMO, that would be too close a parallel to season 2... though they're obviously willing to reuse the Muslim extremist plot.
Old 01-14-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great episodes, this season is off to an amazing start. Mother Azaz is hard-core, I wonder if the son will derail the mission somehow although he's been trained to do this for 5+ years.

Chloe is not as annoying this season and I appreciate one familiar face at CTU amongst the many newbies.

The new girl riding Curtis' coat tails will be a good storyline - I detest these types of characters, but there needs to be someone to annoy the legions of fans of this show.
Old 01-14-05, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly

Yup, that's what I thought too. Jack needed to do something that wouldn't single this guy out. If it looked like he was being targeted in any way he might change plans and not go back to the warehouse.
Old 01-15-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
From the

Don't blame '24' for Arab villains

IN Hollywood during World War II, it was the Germans and Japanese who got stereotyped.

They were our sworn enemies — locked in a struggle that would leave either us or them standing at the end of it.

For the sake of national morale, Hollywood decided the enemy should be portrayed as evil, ruthless and heartless — which, in many demonstrable ways, they were. In the end, we were left standing; they were not.

Now we’re in World War III (or is it IV? I’ve lost count!), and it’s Arabs — or more specifically, Muslims — who are portrayed as psychotic killers who prey on non-combatants and swear by Allah to destroy America.

Even before the new season of "24" began last week, some Arab-American groups were already screaming "Death to the infidels!" over the murderous Muslims who populate the show.

So far the terrorists in "24" have ambushed the defense secretary’s security detail (killing them all) and kidnapped him (William Devane) and his daughter (Kim Raver), who is this season’s love interest for the anti-terrorist gladiator, Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland).

Even more grievous (to the complainers, anyway) is the fact that the conspiracy is being led by a seemingly normal Arab-American family — dad Navi Araz (Nestor Serrano), mom Dina (Shohreh Aghdashloo, the Iranian actress who was nominated for an Oscar last year for "House of Sand and Fog") and their son, Behrooz (Jonathan Ahdout), a fully Americanized teen who is wholly involved in his parents’ nefarious plotting.

The Arazes have embedded themselves in a conventional Los Angeles suburb for years —which can lead to only one thing, according to the stereotype police: Suburbanites looking askance at their Arab-American neighbors and wondering, What are those people up to?

Well, I guess it’s easy for me to say, since I’m not an Arab-American or a Muslim-American, but I can’t bring myself to blame the producers of TV shows if the terrorist characters they’ve created come across to some people as stereotypes they’d rather not see on TV.

Like the Hollywood war movies of the 1940s, a contemporary spy drama such as "24" doesn’t happen in a vacuum. In the real world, the nation’s security apparatus is fighting a war against extremists, who overwhelmingly are Muslims.

Maybe the people complaining about the stereotypes they perceive in "24" should redirect their energy toward condemning those Arabs and Muslims whose violence has upended the world and created an environment for the stereotypes they detest.