Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox cancels 'My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss' return plans, unaired episodes to appear on

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox cancels 'My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss' return plans, unaired episodes to appear on

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/...ory.php?s=3164

Fox cancels 'My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss' return plans, unaired episodes to appear on Fox.com

By Steve Rogers, 01/06/2005

Fox announced yesterday that repeat episodes of its back-from-the-dead Family Guy animated series will air on Sunday evenings beginning Sunday, January 16 at 9PM. ending the network's previously announced plans to have its low rated My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss reality series return from hiatus on the same date.

After being yanked from the airwaves following its December 12 fifth episode broadcast, Fox had previously stated that it planned to resume Boss' ten-episode run with a Sunday, January 16 broadcast of the program's sixth episode. However, according to a Fox spokesperson reached by Reality TV World on Thursday morning, the network has now scrapped all plans for returning My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss to the Fox Broadcasting schedule. Instead, its new plan simply calls for "completing production of all ten episodes" of the series and "making the five remaining unaired episodes available" at "a later date" on its Fox.com website.

According to the spokesperson, My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss' unaired episodes also won't be the only canceled Fox reality show made available on the website. Fox also plans to make the remaining episodes of Playing It Straight, the Spring 2003 reality show that was also cancelled mid-run, available via the website. The network had already posted text episode synopses of Playing It Straight's unaired episodes posted to the Fox.com website in July.

No further details are available at this time, including a definition of what the network defines to be "a later date." Following last July's posting of episode synopses for Playing It Straight's remaining episodes, the network had stated that similar synopses for Forever Eden (its other canceled Spring 2003 reality show) would be coming "soon," however as of January 2005 no such information has been made available.
Old 01-07-05, 04:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, this is bad news, but assuming they follow through it's better than how they've treated some of their other shows. I only worry how they'll do this. I fear it will be some crappy streaming thing in a tiny window, probably loaded with forced ads for all the other Fox shows. Why couldn't they have just shuttled the episodes off to a weekend slot on FX, the way they shipped that boxing show to Fox Sports?
Old 01-07-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know a network is a bunch of assholes when even their silly fake reality shows get treated like shit. At least they don't discriminate. I wish they'd just hurry up and give us 5 nights of 2-hour American Idol already.

das
Old 01-07-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I wish they'd just hurry up and give us 5 nights of 2-hour American Idol already.

das

I hope this is a joke.
Old 01-07-05, 06:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I hope this is a joke.
Sarcasm detector broken?
Old 01-07-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to see the last episode to see the reveal that the boss was actually a monkey or something else similiarly ridiculous. I wonder what the later date actually is.
Old 01-07-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks. I would catch this after Arrested Development and it was usually reasonably entertaining.
Old 01-07-05, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Hello....Family Guy re-runs? Sweet! Its not enough that I own them on DVD and can catch them daily on Cartoon Network and TBS! But hey, we get new episodes in 5 months.
Old 01-07-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The beauty of reality tv is that it's so dirt cheap that if it's not working then it's not much of a lose when they decide it's not working and can it. simple as that.
Old 01-07-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing though:

Why didn't Fox decide to show the five unaired episodes on their FX cable channel instead?
Old 01-08-05, 01:03 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to a post I saw somewhere on the Fox forums, a woman who worked behind the scenes revealed on a radio show that the real boss was
Spoiler:
a monkey wearing a bad hairpiece like Donald Trump.
Not sure if that's b.s. or not.
Old 01-08-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The beauty of reality tv is that it's so dirt cheap that if it's not working then it's not much of a lose when they decide it's not working and can it. simple as that.
but the point of these competitive reality shows for the people watching is to see the end. Either who wins, who will s/he pick, what is the big secret. Once that is known, it gives the audience a sense of closure until the sequel, etc. To not show the ending or to pull it for long periods of time will piss off the audience that is watching the show. Even if the audience is relatively small, it will piss them off to not know the ending. Do that enough times and your other reality shows will get less sampling as the reality show fans may not tune in if there is a chance of cancellation/no payoff.
This is pretty lame. They have lots of time on FX or saturdays, etc, just show it and take the hit in January and not during sweeps.
Old 01-08-05, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I wonder why this network keeps putting stupid shows on the air.

Oh wait, it's Fox. Nevermind.
Old 01-08-05, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn It! Damn It! Damn It! Damn It! Damn It!
Old 01-08-05, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by chowderhead
but the point of these competitive reality shows for the people watching is to see the end. Either who wins, who will s/he pick, what is the big secret. Once that is known, it gives the audience a sense of closure until the sequel, etc. To not show the ending or to pull it for long periods of time will piss off the audience that is watching the show. Even if the audience is relatively small, it will piss them off to not know the ending. Do that enough times and your other reality shows will get less sampling as the reality show fans may not tune in if there is a chance of cancellation/no payoff.
This is pretty lame. They have lots of time on FX or saturdays, etc, just show it and take the hit in January and not during sweeps.

Problem with your example is something you mentioned in it. The small audiance. They will forgive quickly. Especially with the real show they were mocking off the air on thursday there is no real appeal for it. A small group of people pissed will most likely come back for the better reality show crap they put on later anyways.

They could have put it on FX, but they figure why waste space. Who knows what the future may hold

Spoiler:
and yes, word was that it was a monkey that spins a wheel with the people's name on it to see who wins
Old 01-10-05, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Fox announced yesterday that repeat episodes of its back-from-the-dead Family Guy animated series will air on Sunday evenings beginning Sunday, January 16 at 9PM
I thought Fox was moving Malcolm to 830, American Dad was going to be on at 9, and Arrested Development was moving to 930?

What happened to that? Did they cancel American Dan before it even aired?
Old 01-10-05, 08:25 AM

[Cartman] I'm. So. Angry. [/Cartman]

This bites. First NBC with thier bullsh*t about not airing the Last Comic Standing season finale, now Fox is pulling basically the same bullsh*t by cancelling a reality show 1/2 way through (especially after airing the funniest episode of the series- the paintball!). Granted, this show was a guilty pleasure that many people didn't admit to watching (hell- many people didn't watch according to the ratings!), but to pull the show during the holiday season when ratings are down, and then cancel it all together? That's just wrong... If they had any inkling that the show would be pulled, why not just air it during the holiday season?

Last edited by kramdenfan; 01-10-05 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-10-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Sarcasm detector broken?
Sarcasm detector? THAT'S a useful invention.
Old 01-10-05, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
I thought Fox was moving Malcolm to 830, American Dad was going to be on at 9, and Arrested Development was moving to 930?

What happened to that? Did they cancel American Dan before it even aired?
I found the answer to my own question, Fox is premiering American Dad after the Superbowl (and an all-new Simpsons).
Old 01-10-05, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
According to a post I saw somewhere on the Fox forums, a woman who worked behind the scenes revealed on a radio show that the real boss was
Spoiler:
a monkey wearing a bad hairpiece like Donald Trump.
Not sure if that's b.s. or not.
--
Old 01-10-05, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Fox announced yesterday that repeat episodes of its back-from-the-dead Family Guy animated series will air on Sunday evenings beginning Sunday, January 16 at 9PM.
This is great news. I can't wait for the new episodes of Family Guy to air.