Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DirecTv with a ton of great announcements....

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

First 12 markets to receive OTA HD locals: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutu...id=01-06-2005A

New Advanced TV services: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutu...id=01-06-2005B

First MPEG-4 HD transmission: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutu...id=01-06-2005C

New HD video recorder: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutu...id=01-06-2005E

New home media networking stuff: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutu...id=01-06-2005D

Big news on couple of these announcements. The MPEG-4 stuff is huge b/c once that switchover is made, that paves the way for a ton more HD channels. Can't wait to see their verson of the the DVR and the media center.
Old 01-07-05, 09:53 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice.. the homenetworking stuff is what I was wanting.
Though I don't know if it will interact with standalone tivo units.

I have a tivo 80 hour unit that has a dvd player in as well(gift and actually a really nice unit for the bedroom).
I want to be able to watch the shows from that in the living room where my directivo sits and visa versa.

I'll have to read that article.

But good news coming out.
Old 01-07-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope their HD dvr will help drop the price on them. The HD Tivos are still $999. Once they drop down to about $300 I'll be all over it.
Old 01-07-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesC
I hope their HD dvr will help drop the price on them. The HD Tivos are still $999. Once they drop down to about $300 I'll be all over it.
Careful with the HD-Tivo. There's still some question if they will be able to handle the new MPEG-4 compression via a software update or if they will be obsolete by being able to only handle the older MPEG-2 compression due to a hardware requirement.
Old 01-07-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huh. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it will be a couple of years before they drop in price that much anyway.
Old 01-07-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
If thier HD DVR drops that low, I'll switch.
Old 01-07-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I stumbled on those Mix channels the other day, and they weren't that bad. It's not my kind of thing, but I can see how they'd be useful.

das
Old 01-07-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, nothing has officially been announced by DirecTv on how they plan on handling current HDTivo owners if it's not just a simple software update (the general consensus seems to be that it's not that simple). Rumors persist that DirecTv will continue to stream some HD in both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 for a few years, but the new LiL HD will likely be only MPEG-4, which the HDTivo can't handle in its current form. Whether DirecTv will offer a free box swap remains to be seen.

I've only read a few things on the other forums, but that's the consensus I'm getting.
Old 01-07-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I stumbled on those Mix channels the other day, and they weren't that bad. It's not my kind of thing, but I can see how they'd be useful.

das
As did I. I saw the channels listed in the 100's and checked them out. I don't think I'd use them all that much, unless there were three simultaneous games on the sports mix that I'd want to watch.
Old 01-07-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Also, I saw an announcement on the addition of ESPN2 to the HD content for DirecTv, that was supposed to go live last night, but I couldn't find the channel. Not sure when that will happen.
Old 01-07-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones

By HD on this one, do you mean Hard Drive, or Hi Definition? I'm asking because I didn't see anything about HiDef in that press release, and now for some reason I can't get back to it.
Old 01-07-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I wonder if their new PVR is covered by the same $4.99 fee that covers all TiVOs in-house, or if there will be an additional fee.
Old 01-07-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
The problem with all these networked settops that claim to display video is that most of them offer no explanation on whether they'll be able to handle frequent upgrades on codecs. If a settop box can't display any of my DivX files, XVid or whatever, then it's no use to me. Standard official MPEG codecs tend to be obsolete pretty quickly, or at least in disuse.
Old 01-07-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nevermind
By HD on this one, do you mean Hard Drive, or Hi Definition? I'm asking because I didn't see anything about HiDef in that press release, and now for some reason I can't get back to it.
High Def
Old 01-07-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see anything in the article stating that the DVR can record High Definition either. This would be a big selling point for me. Is it confirmed that this unit will record HD?
Old 01-07-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is all pretty good news. Hopefully I'll get some use out of my HD Tivo before they convert to MPEG-4. I also hope their next HD DVR is as good as the Tivo.
Old 01-07-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I didn't read anything about Hi-Def in that article either.

*sigh* I love my DirecTivo, but the 100 hours of record time, 90-min buffer and all the other bells and whistles of the DirecTV DVR probably means the end of my Tivo ownership.
Old 01-07-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
You can get a 90-minute buffer (or more) and 100 hours record time if you hack your DirecTiVo.
Old 01-08-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hooray for Tampa!
Old 01-09-05, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hmm Does that mean that my dad will have to buy another HD reciever, or are the old ones capable of processing mpeg-4?
Old 01-09-05, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The old ones will not be capable of processing MPEG-4. Direct does have a pretty good history of trading out hardware though. Not sure what they'll do with the HD Direct Tivos.
Old 01-09-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by djbrown
yeah, nothing has officially been announced by DirecTv on how they plan on handling current HDTivo owners if it's not just a simple software update (the general consensus seems to be that it's not that simple). Rumors persist that DirecTv will continue to stream some HD in both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 for a few years, but the new LiL HD will likely be only MPEG-4, which the HDTivo can't handle in its current form. Whether DirecTv will offer a free box swap remains to be seen.

I've only read a few things on the other forums, but that's the consensus I'm getting.
They'd better do some kind of swap/free upgrade/almost free upgrade for as much as those of us that have one have paid.
Old 01-14-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Found this article at pcmag.com:

http://www.pcmag.com/print_article2/...=142158,00.asp

DirecTV Launches Own Branded DVR
ARTICLE DATE: 01.06.05

By Jim Louderback, ExtremeTech
LAS VEGAS—DirecTV rolled out its own home-grown DVR strategy, with products due to debut in mid-2005. The DirecTV DVR will initially support SD video only, and will save up to 100 hours of TV. The DVR is also part of a new interactive DirecTV push that will offer video on demand, and other services. The DIRECTV DVR will compete head on with TiVo-based DirecTV branded DVRs. The company will continue to offer both "for the foreseeable future", claimed a rep at the company's booth.

DirecTV's unit will add features not found in its current TiVo offering, including:

A 90 minute live-TV buffer, compared to 30 in the TiVo unit.
Viewmarks, which let users place bookmarks inside a show, and then jump directly to them later for viewing favorite scenes.
On-screen caller ID
Support for DirecTV's interactive channels, like Mix, Sunday Ticket and Active.
A new guide that allows users to keep watching the current channel while surfing through other services.

Although the software isn't done, company reps insisted it would offer everything TiVo now does and more. The company was not ready to discuss pricing, except to say that it would not cost more than the equivalent TiVo box.

Even though the company's first DVR will not record HD programming, the back of the unit had component outputs, along with two traditional composite connectons.

But an HD DVR is in DirecTV's future. The company also rolled out a networked home strategy that puts an HD DVR at the center of an Ethernet video distribution system.

The Home Media Center will feature a 320 gigabyte hard drive, four DirecTV tuners and two ATSC tuners for over the air HDTV. It will be an MPEG4 box only – the company is transitioning from MPEG2 over the next year. MPEG delivers four times more HD video per gigabyte, which means 100 hours or more of HD programming can be saved for later viewing.

New remote units, essentially video decoders in a box, will connect up to the main unit via Ethernet. Wireless is a possibility, according to an engineer I spoke with, but for now it's a wired solution only. The remote units will play SD video only, streamed from the main box. In essence the box will support one HD set, and multiple SD sets around the house.

Pricing and other details have not been set. And although the company is considering building HD remote receivers as well, those will not be available at launch.

Overall, DirecTV is following the lead of Dish Network and the cable companies, by building and selling its own DVRs. And although TiVo products will continue to be offered for the foreseeable future, the move to MPEG4—due to be completed in 2007—could signal a TiVo-less future for the popular satellite hardware company.

So it sounds like the initial box (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutu...id=01-06-2005E )will not be HD.

The remote units on the Home Media Center sound cool though