Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with "Everybody loves Raymond"?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
I'm from Germany but I see myself as quite a sitcom fan. Seinfeld, Frasier, Friends, Becker, Cheers, Bundys, King of Queens, etc. - all great shows. I ordered the DVDs of Greg the bunny and Arrested Development, let us see what these series got to offer.

But what is it with Everybody loves Raymond?
As far as I know it has great ratings and it won about thousand Emmys. In my opinion it's absolutely unfunny and the bigger part of the cast is dislikable. In this article http://www.popentertainment.com/sitcom.htm it is even ahead THE SIMPSONS (well, we forget about all seasons which have two digits)!

I don't get it.....argh.

Best regards,
Frenzy
Old 12-06-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the boards. I don't really care for sitcoms, but I watch Everybody Loves Raymond now and then. I think it's just an unique family/comedy show, probably this generation's I love Lucy. I do remember Dave Letterman making a joke something like, they need to rename the show to "Everybody hates Raymond."
Old 12-06-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always enjoyed it. No, it's not irreverent offbeat comedy nor does it exhibit any uniquely brilliant style, and it's certainly far from my favorite comedy, but it does make me laugh. Just as there are many kinds of dramas, there are many kinds of comedies, and when it comes to the classic sitcom formula, Everybody Loves Raymond is pretty much the best on the air, and since the general population likes their television simple and requiring little effort, it's hugely popular in the ratings. It's simple and familiar and easy for middle America to digest. I'd much rather watch stuff like Arrested Development and Scrubs, but I can understand the appeal of Raymond, and like I say, favorite or not, it makes me laugh. It's certainly better than Becker.

das
Old 12-06-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I'd much rather watch stuff like Arrested Development and Scrubs, but I can understand the appeal of Raymond, and like I say, favorite or not, it makes me laugh. It's certainly better than Becker.
At least the seasons with Reggie where good.
I like Scrubs, too. Is Arrested Development comparable with the flashy Scrubs style?

If yes, DDD should get it on with my order (but probably the customs take care of my package, some other things like THE WIRE are also in it)....
Old 12-06-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Must be a personnel preference since Raymond and King of Queens is basically the same show.

What part of Germany are you from?
Old 12-06-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think the wife is hot. It's one of those shows that gained some audiance and they stuck to it. It's pretty funny and has a lot of "life situations" that many can relate to and laugh about.
Old 12-06-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Must be a personnel preference since Raymond and King of Queens is basically the same show.

What part of Germany are you from?
The King of Queens is IMHO much funnier with crazier characters and just better jokes. Well, Ray has one or two guest appearances but that's all.

North-Western Germany. Our region brought you Wolfgang Petersen (director of Troy, Das Boot, etc.).

Last edited by Frenzy; 12-06-04 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-06-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is a boring show that basically has Deborah (Ray's wife) fighting somehow with his mom (Marie) in every single plotline.

I think King of Queens is better.
Old 12-06-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like KoQ better too, I have not seen all the episodes by any means, but what I have seen it is a good fun show. Everybody Loves Raymond is OK, that's about it, I can watch it if nothing else is on. The funniest thing on Raymond is
Spoiler:
the one where Raymond's dad mixed up condoms and candy in the Halloween episode.
Old 12-06-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I've always enjoyed it. No, it's not irreverent offbeat comedy nor does it exhibit any uniquely brilliant style, and it's certainly far from my favorite comedy, but it does make me laugh. Just as there are many kinds of dramas, there are many kinds of comedies, and when it comes to the classic sitcom formula, Everybody Loves Raymond is pretty much the best on the air, and since the general population likes their television simple and requiring little effort, it's hugely popular in the ratings. It's simple and familiar and easy for middle America to digest. I'd much rather watch stuff like Arrested Development and Scrubs, but I can understand the appeal of Raymond, and like I say, favorite or not, it makes me laugh. It's certainly better than Becker.

das
This guy definatley knows his shit.

ELR is just a harmless family sitcom with some very talented and funny individuals. Its not gut busting hilarious or excedingly clever but I love this show.
Old 12-07-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I too do not like ELR at all. The characters are very unlikable. Even worse, they all seem to hate each other. Why would I want to watch something like that?

On the other hand, I love "King of Queens" although Doug does tend to be a bit too buffoonish. The only other sitcom I watch now is "8 Simple Rules", mainly for David Spade and his interaction with James Garner.
Old 12-07-04, 02:04 AM
Suspended

I love both of these shows, especially everybody loves raymond. I also agree Debra is really hot.
Old 12-07-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
It's pretty funny and has a lot of "life situations" that many can relate to and laugh about.
BULLSEYE!

This show has become popular because a lot of people who grew up in the 80s and are now Nascar Dads and Soccer Moms can relate to the issues presented in the episodes.
Old 12-07-04, 11:59 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by nightwing82
It is a boring show that basically has Deborah (Ray's wife) fighting somehow with his mom (Marie) in every single plotline.

I think King of Queens is better.

I like both shows, but to be fair, you can also say:

"It is a boring show that basically has Carrie fighting somehow with Doug in every single plotline."

I'd give KoQ a leg up since Doug isn't as whipped as Raymond, plus since there are no kids on KoQ, Doug & Carrie can go pretty overboard in their antics without coming across as negligent parents.
Old 12-07-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only seen it one time, but found it almost unbearable. But, I'm not a fan of sitcoms ('cept for Curb Your Enthusiasm).