DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Enterprise 12/03/04 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/398721-enterprise-12-03-04-a.html)

MvRojo 12-04-04 12:12 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Well, color me impressed. I had watched off and on for the first three seasons, and never really felt it, but tonite was the first episode I've seen this season after the premiere. What a difference a little bit of creative writing does. I am definitely going to have to find the repeats of the beginning of this season. They may actually make a go of this show after all.

If you're really going to try to see the episodes you've missed, they're replaying the Soong/Eugenics arc starting next week.

Deftones 12-04-04 12:42 AM

Wow. That was badass to see the Romulan at the end, even though we all knew that this arc was leading up to it. Again, I never had a problem w/ the show before as it always kept me entertained, but these new episode arcs are fantastic. :up:

JetSter735180 12-04-04 01:02 AM

I knew it!

Ha! Man I saw this comming......

What did I say last week......about the Romulans

There was to much Vulcan Emotion in this episode. Don't they know how to supress it ?
Ok this is what I see comming for this season, Vulcan change, want to become more friendly with humans, and Peace with Andorians. I hope at mid season, they will concentrate on the Romulan War, wich laid to the coalition between Humans, Vulcans, Andorian and Telarites that we all call the FEDERATION "
I knew that the Vulcun commander was a Romulan. And I was hoping that they would start the Arc about the Romulan War that led to tre creation of the FEDERATION OF PLANETS.

I was disapointed about this episode, the part where the Vulcan fleet and Humans fight each other. No! unnacpteble! But the Ending was nice.

Now can't wait to see this WAR!

bluesix 12-04-04 01:05 AM

did anyone else notice the fact that Joanna Cassidy and Robert Foxworth were both appearing together again in this arc. not that it meant anything but it was funny to see crazy nymphomaniac Brenda from Six Feet Under's parents on ENTERPRISE!

I know Trek tradition often used current events as the basis of their metphorical story ideas but were the parallels to current day Bush and friends as obvious to everyone else as I found them?

If the Xindi weapon was the yellowcake uranium then V'lass was Bush and the Earth Embassy was the World Trade Center. Are the writers trying to imply Bush bombed the WTC or better yet, perhaps they are predicting some biblical writings will be found in Iraq that will put the US back on the right path...I guess that makes Archer and Tpol Colin Powell and Conoleeza Rice...leave it to those wacky Hollywood liberals!

MvRojo 12-04-04 02:10 AM

Originally posted by bluesix
did anyone else notice the fact that Joanna Cassidy and Robert Foxworth were both appearing together again in this arc. not that it meant anything but it was funny to see crazy nymphomaniac Brenda from Six Feet Under's parents on ENTERPRISE!

I know Trek tradition often used current events as the basis of their metphorical story ideas but were the parallels to current day Bush and friends as obvious to everyone else as I found them?

If the Xindi weapon was the yellowcake uranium then V'lass was Bush and the Earth Embassy was the World Trade Center. Are the writers trying to imply Bush bombed the WTC or better yet, perhaps they are predicting some biblical writings will be found in Iraq that will put the US back on the right path...I guess that makes Archer and Tpol Colin Powell and Conoleeza Rice...leave it to those wacky Hollywood liberals!

Well, the 9/11 allusion came at the end of S2 with the Xindi attack on Earth, followed by the hunt to stop the threat before they could strike again.

nemein 12-04-04 06:37 AM

Well, the 9/11 allusion came at the end of S2 with the Xindi attack on Earth, followed by the hunt to stop the threat before they could strike again.
Doesn't mean they can't do it again. I thought there were some obvious parallels as well. How much was intentional as a social commentary, or maybe the writing was just influenced by current events (writers stealing the rough story line), or just coincidence I don't know... or really care ;)

0073735963 12-04-04 10:25 AM

Re: I knew it!

Originally posted by JetSter735180
Ha! Man I saw this comming......

What did I say last week......about the Romulans

I knew that the Vulcun commander was a Romulan. And I was hoping that they would start the Arc about the Romulan War that led to tre creation of the FEDERATION OF PLANETS.

I was disapointed about this episode, the part where the Vulcan fleet and Humans fight each other. No! unnacpteble! But the Ending was nice.

Now can't wait to see this WAR!

Just to clarify since I already deleted the show, V'Las was just in league w/ the Romulans and not a Romulan in disguise right? This show rocks!!

MvRojo 12-04-04 12:25 PM

Re: Re: I knew it!

Originally posted by joshyborra
Just to clarify since I already deleted the show, V'Las was just in league w/ the Romulans and not a Romulan in disguise right? This show rocks!!
It's kinda ambiguous. I'm thinking that he might actually be a Romulan in disguise. When he said "What about me?" to the Romulan, he is told that he must remain on Vulcan since his disappearance would create suspicion.

Now this could be because he is a Romulan that wants to go home now that the mission has failed, or he just wants to be with the Romulans instead of the Vulcans.

JetSter735180 12-04-04 01:50 PM

I have know doubt that he is Romulan! How many times did we see a Romulan infiltrat has a Vulcan.... ring any bells ? Or vice versa ?

NORML54601 12-04-04 07:02 PM

This show just keeps getting better and better. The Archer storyline was a bit over the top, but I love tos so I can appreciate that. The rocks in the tunnel archer went down looked so low-budge. Maybe left-over props from tos?

Einsatz 12-04-04 08:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: I knew it!

Originally posted by MvRojo
I'm thinking that he might actually be a Romulan in disguise.
I don't think so... doesn't the Romulan say something along the lines that "our people" will be reunited? "Our" woud lead you to believe Vulcan and Romulan. Although two Romulans talking could concievably say it as well, it makes more sense that one is Vulcan and one is Romulan.

Though it would explain his stupid emotional outbursts... if he's Romulan then it makes more sense. Of course it could just be bad acting, or a poorly written character, too.

Mattrk 12-05-04 03:43 PM

A few things:

1) Someone asked about the emotion that Vulcans are showing and that T'Pol is hiding. The difference is that T'Pol feels guilty about her emotions (remember her unauthorized visits to San Francisco) while the others don't.

2) The Romulans don't control Vulcan; they just have had an agent in place to politcally destabilize the planet and sweep themselves into power.

3) Here's my prediction for the end of the Romulan War:

Spoiler:
We've been told that when the war ended, the peace treaty was done over subspace, so none of the humans ever saw a Romulan, as was said in "Balance of Terror". When the war ends, Archer will discover that the Romulans are Vulcan offshoots, but will be asked/begged by T'Pol or someone in the Vulcan government to not report it, since humans would never trust Vulcans again. Archer agrees, and sets up the peace treaty to be negotiated and finalized by subspace.

al_bundy 12-05-04 05:46 PM

makes some sense since in balance of terror that one guy wouldn't trust spock after seeing a romulan

but then it means the vulcans keep it secret from their own people too

Chew 12-06-04 06:11 AM

Great ending to a good story. I certainly hope they come back this, maybe from the Andorian side of things next?

Mattrk 12-06-04 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
but then it means the vulcans keep it secret from their own people too

And since so many records of that time - Surak's original writings, etc. - have been lost as well, the Romulans could have "become" one of those myths that parents tell their children, or some such. This could also be the first time the Romulans are powerful enough to want to influence this part of space.

al_bundy 12-06-04 11:26 AM

just watched it last night

i think the premise is that only the administrator of the high command knew that romulans and vulcans were originally the same race. The knowledge will only stay with him.

adamblast 12-06-04 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by MvRojo
I think that this was one of the points about how the Vulcans have strayed from the path of Surak. Surak brought logic and peace to Vulcan, and since his time, it has degraded to the Vulcans we know see who are deceptive and assholes. Now that the original writings have been found, the Vulcans can see what Surak's original idea of Vulcan was and they can restructure their society again to the Vulcans we know.

True enough, but I was hoping to see some difference between the dialog style of the "wrong path" vulcans and the "right path" vulcans. Instead, all the Syranites are arguing and yelling and feeling guilty and acting just as human as the rest of the vulcans...

Seems to me that TV writers just don't know how to write vulcans anymore; they just can't resist cheap sentimentality and audience-pleasing zingers whether they're in character or not. This plotline may have fixed the "Vulcans are acting like Big Brother" political issues, but I don't think it has helped the "Vulcans are ridiculously emotional" issue.

Ted The Bug 12-06-04 01:07 PM

I've never seen TOS and don't remember much about TNG, DS9, or Voyager. Can somebody post a summary of everything that's happened with the Romulans on the other trek series?

Chew 12-06-04 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
I've never seen TOS and don't remember much about TNG, DS9, or Voyager. Can somebody post a summary of everything that's happened with the Romulans on the other trek series?

Well, you're certainly not asking for much, are you? ;)

I think all you really need to know at this point is that the Romulans split off from the Vulcans prior to Enterprise. It's believed the split occured when the Vulcans began to follow the teachings of Surak, but I don't know if the exact timeframe was ever really stated onscreen. No human had ever seen a Romulan prior to Kirk's time, but a bloody war occured between them. This war should occur right about the time of Enterprise, but could easily happen a few years after the series actually ends with regards to the timeline. Off and on, the Romulans have been trying to reunite with the Vulcans (completely on their terms, of course) since the split.

Chew 12-06-04 01:22 PM

Let me amend my statement by saying: no human had ever seen a Romulan as far as he knew. As might be the case with this episode, Romulans could be living among Vulcans, pretending to be Vulcans and none were the wiser.

Fok 12-06-04 02:06 PM

They are really screwing the vulcans up, what's up with all the emotions!!!!! T'pol has more emotions than the human characters.

kvrdave 12-06-04 02:49 PM

I still love this show. Always have, but it just gets better. My one irritation....Trip, or someone should have said to the high counsel, "What is the logic of a Syranite framing a fellow Syranite for the bombing?

Damfino 12-06-04 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
just watched it last night

i think the premise is that only the administrator of the high command knew that romulans and vulcans were originally the same race. The knowledge will only stay with him.

This is how I am interpreting these events as well.

Going back to the TOS episode Balance of Terror, even Spock is surprised to see how much Romulans resemble Vulcans. This implies that most Vulcans and no humans will be aware of the relationship. Hopefully, Enterprise will continue to honor this key point of continuity.

MvRojo 12-06-04 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Great ending to a good story. I certainly hope they come back this, maybe from the Andorian side of things next?

Well, the Andorians and Tellarites will be the main focus of the next arc, with Vulcan less of a focus, but there as well.

Damfino 12-06-04 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug

I'll try...

TOS: Decades after the last battle with the Romulans, a Romulan ship attacks some federation outposts near the neutral zone. (Balance of Terror) This episode introduces the Romulans and it's also established that nobody knew what the Romulans look like. In a later episode (The Enterprise Incident) Kirk and Spock lead a secret mission to "borrow" the cloaking device from a Romulan ship.

TNG: Romulans are again suspected of attacking a Federation settlement (The Neutral Zone), but the resolution is inconclusive (most fans believe this might have been a Borg attack). In a 2 part episode (Unification), Picard and Data go undercover on Romulus to find Spock who has been accused of defecting. In a multi-episode story arc (Sins of the Father, Reunion and Redemption and others), The Romulans align with a rival Klingon faction in trying to undermine the Klingon's membership in the Federation. In a Season 7 episode (The Pegasus), Riker revisits an incident from his early career when he remained loyal to his Captain during a mutiny. (The Captain was acting on his own to steal cloaking technology from the Romulans) See also: The Defector, The Next Phase, and Face of the Enemy.

DS9: Romulan cloaking technolgy was loaned to Starfleet to help fight the Dominion war. (This is part of the continuing story that dominated the last 5 seasons of DS9)

Voyager: IIRC there was an episode involving a Romulan time traveler, but I don't recall the details.