TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jack & Bobby - 12/01/04

Old 12-01-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Jack & Bobby - 12/01/04

"Today I Am a Man", Episode #110.

Spoiler:
Grace catches Jack buying condoms in preparation for his big night with Missy; Grace must make a difficult decision about her family when Jimmy (Tom Cavanagh) falls into old habits.

Cast: Matthew Long, Logan Lerman, Christine Lahti, Edwin Hodge, Jessica Par‚, John Slattery, Tom Cavanaugh, Dean Collins.
Director(s): Michael Schultz.
Producer(s): Greg Berlanti, Vanessa Taylor, Mickey Liddell, Thomas Schlamme.
Writer(s): Michael Green.

Original Airdate: December 1, 2004.
Old 12-01-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
12/01/04

In an episode where each of the McAllisters gets a little something-something, close personal contact with people you're not quite into makes for a very confusing time.

Grace invites Jimmy to stay with them after his possession charges get plea bargained, but then Grace susses out that Jimmy is still getting high while in her home, so she is forced to give him the boot because she simply can't have Jimmy's cocaine drug use invade her children's childhood. Bobby, who loves Jimmy as a father-figure-stand-in, is sorely disappointed that Grace had to send Jimmy away while not divulging the reason why Jimmy had to leave.

Jack and Missy plan all week (it seemed) on getting to home plate, and the news of Courtney going on a date with another guy confuses Jack and his feelings and he starts to re-evaluate his feelings for Missy and for Courtney. Even though he and Missy did the deed, he wasn't quite there, and comes home flummoxed on what should have been the greatest night of his young life, but he realizes that he probably made a big mistake by getting it on with Missy for his (and her) first time.

Grace seemed very empathetic to Jack's confusion for a change after he comes home early because she got done with a booty call with Tom after the stressful boot out of Jimmy. Grace wanted to exit her hook-up with Tom by making it a one-time-deal, but Tom conveys to Grace that he is into her, and no matter what protestations she puts up, he'll still be on board for the ride. Grace just blithely accepts this arrangement, and Tom gets in a nice slap on her backside as she leaves.

Bobby helps Warren with getting ready for the big day, Warren's bar mitzvah. Warren is attracted to a redhead at school, so Bobby asks her to attend Warren's bar mitzvah, with a trip to picking out a gift for Warren along the way. The redhead was into Bobby, but Bobby just wants Warren to be happy with the redhead via a dance at the bar mitzvah, but the redhead challenges Bobby to a kiss in the walk-in closet for the coats, and of course, Warren catches them in the act. Warren goes hiding in a bathroom stall, but Bobby finally talks him to going back to the party and luckily has Warren focused on another girl at the party to help ease his transition from the redhead to someone more into him.

Now, the future story was a whopper. The head speechwriter for Bobby's big speech on the 40th anniversary of Sept. 11 was relating how much of a challenge it was to get the speech just right, and just as Bobby starts to deliver the speech at ground zero (you get the idea that the area has been rebuilt in these 40 years up to 2041), the teleprompter dies, and Bobby basically has to wing a speech, an impressive speech that called for the time of innocence reborn on this anniversary of that dark time for America. The very next day, Sept. 12th, an insurgent group snuggles into a nuke across the northern border and detonate the nuke in Chicago. Bobby was never the same again. And he never saw it coming. Juxtaposed on the words of this future story is Jack getting mugged in the back of the diner by 3 guys who beat him up and steal his wallet. And he never saw it coming.
Old 12-02-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am tired of Jack pining for Courtney while dating Missy. I don't see any real character flaws in Missy revealed yet as they have with the other characters, so what is his hang up? Besides the actress being way hotter than the one who plays Courtney, her character on the show seems really nice and more stable than Courtney. And it also bugs me that they didn't really deal any more with the journal reading episode and the fall out of that.
Old 12-02-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by calhoun07
I am tired of Jack pining for Courtney while dating Missy. I don't see any real character flaws in Missy revealed yet as they have with the other characters, so what is his hang up?
What about her annoying voice? Missy seems sweet, but she's pretty much a simpleton. I think Jack is looking for more substance.

Originally posted by Patman
ground zero (you get the idea that the area has been rebuilt in these 40 years up to 2041)
They mentioned the view of The Freedom Tower. I was hoping they'd change that silly name before it gets built.
Old 12-02-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: the diary thing, Missy was also pretty much trying to snare Jack into banging her in order to stake her claim on Jack, so Missy and her mechinations were going underneath the surface, and Jack was dumb enough to not stop it from happening. That's the fallout from Missy reading the diary.
Old 12-02-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
What about her annoying voice? Missy seems sweet, but she's pretty much a simpleton. I think Jack is looking for more substance.
Her voice drives me freakin' nuts, too. I don't think she is a simpleton though - she's a spoiled, two-faced brat who always seems to get what she wants, whether it's from Jack or her parents. She is rather conniving...

I can't stand Bobby's friend, Warren. Get rid of him already.