Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

$25 Million Hoax - 11.08.04

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$25 Million Hoax - 11.08.04

Just got done watching this and it was awesome! It was exactly like My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance, except instead of being clever and hilarious, it was lame and unoriginal and the "prize" sounds like it sucks. Oh wait a minute ... did I say awesome?

das
Old 11-09-04, 12:06 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What it's missing is the double swerve, the sabotage factor. It's basically MBFOF as the girl on that show saw it... a straightforward scamming the parents deal. Also, it's more of a straightforward "piss off the family" deal, where the goal in MBFOF, for the girl at least, was to NOT piss off her family despite being in a situation that clearly WOULD piss them off. It's that careful balancing act, and the fact that we were in on it from all three sides, that made MBFOF so enjoyable.
Old 11-09-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: $25 Million Hoax - 11.08.04

Originally posted by das Monkey
Just got done watching this and it was awesome!

Originally posted by das Monkey
It was exactly like My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance, except instead of being clever and hilarious, it was lame and unoriginal and the "prize" sounds like it sucks. Oh wait a minute ... did I say awesome?

das
you had me fooled!
Old 11-09-04, 12:10 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and its only 5 days? oh please, i rather watch females eating cockroaches on fear factor.
Old 11-09-04, 12:14 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I read the first sentence and started to get pissed I didn't record it
Old 11-09-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• DRG •

What it's missing is the double swerve, the sabotage factor. It's basically MBFOF as the girl on that show saw it... a straightforward scamming the parents deal. Also, it's more of a straightforward "piss off the family" deal, where the goal in MBFOF, for the girl at least, was to NOT piss off her family despite being in a situation that clearly WOULD piss them off. It's that careful balancing act, and the fact that we were in on it from all three sides, that made MBFOF so enjoyable.
Agreed. The double swerve was great as well as the way they slowly ratcheted up the hoax on poor Randi. She starts off thinking she and some random nice guy have to pull off a marriage hoax, then she finds this guy is a complete freak, then she meets his psycho family. While she was in control of her part of the hoax, it wasn't as mean-spirited, and she was the one caught between all these forces slowly tearing her apart. It worked.

This whole thing is just selfish and mean. Even the family is being selfish. It lacks the subtlety and heart of the show it's so transparently copying. And $400,000 in cash and prizes? How lame is that? And the "final spin" before the reveal? That's just cruel and an obvious gimmick so they can call it a $25 million dollar hoax when it's really $5 million.

The fashion actor was pretty funny though with her condescending comments.

das
Old 11-09-04, 12:37 AM
Suspended

I think they would have had a better show if they picked to do the hoax on a religious family, would have been more fun to see a religious family get torn apart by money. And yes 400,000$ prise? how fucking lame.
Old 11-09-04, 12:53 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

The beginning of the episode was really bad, but I enjoyed the show more as it went on. I think it might be the most evil reality show yet and I can never decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

MBFOF was pretty much the best reality show ever imo. So, of course this pales in comparison, but I think it's worth watching for 3 episodes.
Old 11-09-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it only 4 episodes or is that just how long you think you can stand it? I'll probably keep watching it since it follows Las Vegas. If I only have to make it through 3 more then I'll definitely watch it. I only watched the first episode of My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance and even though this is a ripoff of it, I like the concept better.

I think the prize is going to turn out to be even lamer than it sounds. I bet no more than $100,000 of it is cash and the rest is all going to be things NBC got for free in lieu of commercials.
Old 11-09-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
DAMN IT! I completely forgot to watch this.

This is the type of stuff I love no matter how 'bad' it is.
Old 11-09-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't worry, you haven't missed much besides the boob adjustment when she was wearing that gold top. She hasn't even spent $100,000 yet. So far it's only been two days and she is supposed to spend the entire $5 million before this is over. Then she has to get her whole family to show up to watch her spin for more money.

I don't expect there will be much difference between each episode other than what she buys. Her family will just get a little angrier each time.
Old 11-09-04, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

meh.. 5 days?!?! I turned it off right after hearing that. I know it's not the sort of show they could draw out for weeks and weeks of a eps.. errr but 5 days!?! Oh please, I could just randomly buy $$$$$ stuff and break it for 5 days at the risk of my family being pissed..

Ohhhhhhhhh no my family upset at me for 5 whole days , then off the hook and paid.. Errrrrrr ya know what, I'm sure like most of the other men here, where I was a kid I did a whole lot of stuff that had my mom ready to kill me for a whole lot longer then 5 days and hey guess what, that was with NO pay off or reward later..

Ya know, like when I backed into her new car, our own drive way in classic dumb 17 year old kid new driver mode.. Yeah and big shock 5 days later, yeah she was still pretty damn pissed..

Weak.. if they were going to spin the show it would have been better to go with some sort of kid who has been away for school or whatever.. Fake that they won when gone, then return home this whole other person who now only cares about cash.. Ya know, like personal body guard in the house who would will not the bother into the tv room to watch the game. etc etc etc..

Then have them leave, week later return and go "I lost all 24 mil, my bad".. Then see the fall out.. at least that might be a little more drama..
Old 11-09-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason I kept watching it was to see what metal band shirts her brothers would be wearing next. I saw:

Iced Earth
Children of Bodom
In Flames

They aparently have pretty good taste in music.
Old 11-09-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show actually makes The Swan look classy. It is one thing to reveal your own thing to show your own insecurities, etc on TV, but to screw over your family in a deliberate attempt to get them pissed off at you is horrible. I really wonder if it will do permanent damage to the family.
Old 11-09-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

granted i didn't watch it, but i agree with movieking.. a practical joke can be funny... a mean spirited attempt to get the hopes of your family is another... i assume the family gets a little something at the end though

Originally posted by movieking
This show actually makes The Swan look classy. It is one thing to reveal your own thing to show your own insecurities, etc on TV, but to screw over your family in a deliberate attempt to get them pissed off at you is horrible. I really wonder if it will do permanent damage to the family.
Old 11-09-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I agree. The girl was so worked up having to pull this scam on her folks for 5 days. Wow! <rolleyes> Okay, 1 year or even 6 months but 5 days? Give me a break! Who wouldn't put their family through mild suffering for $400K or $80K a day? Who wouldn't jump at the chance to be in her shoes? The producers wouldn't have any problem finding a contestant in the soup line for sure.
Old 11-09-04, 10:53 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

One problem I had with the show is that it felt a little fake. Do you think there's a chance the family has an idea of what's going on? Why would an infomercial care how a stylist treated a contestant winner's brother's gf?
Old 11-10-04, 09:59 AM

why is she acting like such a bitchy snob though? was that part of the rules?
Old 11-10-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Checked out after about 10 minutes. Couldn't stand the girls stupid "Soap Opera" looks of confusion in the begining.
Old 11-10-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
The show is ok so far but why did they blur out the Superman T-shirt?
Old 11-10-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could tell that was a Superman shirt? NBC better get on the phone to their defense attorney!

That was the most pointless blur ever
Old 11-10-04, 04:09 PM

and they didnt blur the captain america logo. the censor must be a comic geek who favors one over the other.
Old 11-10-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I know this is a bit off topic, but there was some odd bluring of comic-related shirts on Nanny 911 tonight. At one point you could clearly see a kid's Spider-Man shirt, then when they came back from commercial, they were bluring it.
Old 11-16-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, I'll admit it. I watched both episodes so far The good news is, there is only one more to go This is how they should do all these one-off idiotic reality shows, 3 episodes and out!

I actually thought this week's was more entertaining than the first. Probably just because she actually spent some real money. In fact she already spent more than the $5 million. She almost spent $2 million just in a jewelry store, while the rest went towards a house that almost was $5 million by itself.

I almost felt guilty for laughing, but the best part was when they went to a recording studio and we find out that her mom is a big N'Sync fan and her brother's girlfriend is an aspiring country singer. That one really turned everyone against her. They had to listen to her horrible singing, while the brother's girlfriend was bawling her eyes out and saying she'd like to go in there and sock her

I guess I'll watch next week but it looked like they showed all the important parts in the preview.
Spoiler:
Looked like the predictable happy ending. She gets everyone to show up for the big spin, tells them it's a hoax and they are all relieved and gush over her generosity. The only thing they left out was saying exactly what the $400,000 in prizes were.

Last edited by Roto; 11-16-04 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-16-04, 12:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Roto
Spoiler:
The only thing they left out was saying exactly what the $400,000 in prizes were.
Spoiler:
I would guess some of them would have to do with the stuff her family was denied, like dad might get the car or the lasik, and the brother's girlfriend might get the recording session and voice coach. Also, on the first ep, Ed McMahon casually asked each family member what he/she wanted... maybe that'll play into it as well.

What I think is odd is how at least two of her brothers have rarely been seen. I totally forgot about the littlest one and the heavy metal kid, until they randomly showed up in one or two shots near the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.