ABC to Hold 'Wife Swap' Meet Year Round

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC to Hold 'Wife Swap' Meet Year Round

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...vision_wife_dc

Mon Nov 1, 7:38 AM ET Entertainment - Reuters

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - ABC has given the green light to a full season of its reality series "Wife Swap," which has proved a solid performer in the competitive Wednesday 10 p.m. period against NBC's "Law & Order" and CBS' "CSI: NY."

Along with other broadcast networks, ABC also took a half-step toward picking up a clutch of fledgling freshman series by handing out a number of additional script orders during the past week.

But in general, the networks seem to be treading more cautiously this year than in the recent past when it comes to giving full-season pickups to new series performing in the fair-to-middling range. Additional scripts help network and studio brass evaluate the long-term prospects for shows on the Nielsen fence without having to commit to putting them into production.

ABC has ordered nine more scripts of its Tuesday 9:30 p.m. sitcom "Rodney," which has done respectable, if not impressive, business behind 9 p.m. anchor "According to Jim." It also asked for six more scripts of Friday newcomer "Complete Savages," which has so far been fairly weak behind "8 Simple Rules" in the 8 p.m. hour.

Sources said CBS has ordered two additional scripts for its struggling Friday drama "Dr. Vegas" and another two for equally ratings-challenged frosh drama "Clubhouse."

UPN has ordered four more scripts apiece on the new dramas that generated significant critical buzz for the network this year but haven't connected as well with viewers: "Kevin Hill" and "Veronica Mars." The network also bought three more scripts of its romantic comedy "Second Time Around."

The WB Network has ordered four more scripts of drama "The Mountain," which had no sway in the plum post-"Smallville" slot on Wednesday and so has been rerouted to Sunday 9 p.m. as of this week.

Meanwhile, ABC's pickup of "Wife Swap" brings the total number of episodes ordered to 22, including two specials, "Husband Swap" and "Boss Swap," which are meant to serve as backdoor pilots for potential spinoff series.

The solid performance of "Wife Swap," which features two mothers from different backgrounds swapping households for two weeks, has been overshadowed by ABC's new drama hotshots "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" so far this season. The reality series is running neck and neck with "Law & Order" among adults 18-49 (4.4 rating/11 share vs. 4.5/11) and has improved ABC's performance in the hour in the demo by 52%.

Chris
Old 11-01-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they do understand the novelty will wear off soon?
Old 11-01-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well they never considered that with their 5-day a week Who Wants to be a Millionaire showings.
Old 11-01-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey the execs have to mess with something now that they are leaving sitcoms alone.
Old 11-01-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great! A whole year to not watch it!
Old 11-01-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I am the only person here who watches "Wife Swap".

I was laughing out loud this week when the new age hippy mother made the little fat Eric Cartman kid read a book she bought him and the narrator described it as "a short novel about the Holocaust."

She was surprised he didn't want to read it. He must have ADD.
Old 11-10-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched this tonight.

That fat chick was a total bitch. She must have misunderstood the concept.

In the first week, you are supposed to obey the rules of the original family. Then in the second week, change the rules to what your family follows.

If I were that military guy I would have given that fat ass a court martial and booted her ass off.

She complained the entire time (which is fine cause everyone would), but she neglected to remember that she has to follow the rules that the family does.

Then when she made her own rules, she degrades the husband for not following them.

Fat hypocrite.

(not commenting on all fat people, just that fat tub of lard.)

Even though the skinny chick was mannish, I definitely favored her side.

The fat chick's kids would have gotten smacks in the face millions of times (I wouldn't even care if the show rules said no physical contact).
Old 11-10-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does this show always pit a fat easygoing woman against a skinny hardass?
Old 11-10-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I really fail to see the motivation for these people to go on the show. Do they get paid? Is it just to be on TV?

Old 11-11-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Usually, they feel underappreciated or want to see how the other half lives. That's their excuse anyway. Always polar opposite couples. I watch. Wives are crying and screaming. Kids are crying and screaming. Husbands are crying and screaming. A fun hour!
Old 11-11-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
it's a solid show, i've defected from the moribund csi-ny show, for more drama..

its a great tivo show becuase thye have a ton of 10 second upcoming scenes before commercials, and recap scenes right after commercial, so tivoing thru this show makes it about 35 minutes, a nice clip
Old 11-14-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've never seen a full episode of this, but only a few clips on E!'s "The Soup" where this animal-rights mom is FREAKING OUT - it was hilarious. Anyone know if there's a clip of that floating around somewhere?
Old 11-14-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DJLinus
I've never seen a full episode of this, but only a few clips on E!'s "The Soup" where this animal-rights mom is FREAKING OUT - it was hilarious. Anyone know if there's a clip of that floating around somewhere?
Yeah, that lady was funny. When she found out that her dogs were made to sleep outside, she wailed, "But they're adopted!"

Old 11-14-04, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only know of this show from the commercials that get shown during Lost and Desperate Housewives. It always seems like in every episode, one of the wives complains about the other one only having vegetarian food in the fridge.