Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What did your CBS affiliate air tonight? (10/31)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-31-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine showed Mr. Mom. A freaking 21 year old movie. I thought I had seen commercials during the week for something else. However, when I try to go to yahoo.com's TV listings, it seems to be down so I can't log on to change my provider to see what was aired elsewhere. Did my local station pre-empt something for some reason?
Old 10-31-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine showed a movie called Madam's Family: The Truth About Canal Street Brothel.
Old 10-31-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TracerBullet
Mine showed a movie called Madam's Family: The Truth About Canal Street Brothel.
That's exactly what I thought was supposed to be on. WTF with the Mr Mom airing then? Did some affiliates not air this for some reason?

edit: I see they changed the airing for this to 11pm. Is this something that some affiliates may determine to be too much for prime time?

Last edited by calhoun07; 10-31-04 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-31-04, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what was the truth about the Canal street brothel?
Old 10-31-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CarlitoBrown
So what was the truth about the Canal street brothel?
I have no idea, and I would not have watched the movie because I was going to watch my shows on ABC, but now I am interested in this apparent attempt at censorship, or at least surpressing what should have been shown in prime time in my local area.
Old 10-31-04, 10:55 PM
Banned

Heh. I guess we'll never know.
Old 10-31-04, 10:57 PM
Banned

Here's a synopsis:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...=20041012cbs09
Old 10-31-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by TracerBullet
Same here. I saw some of it. Kinda interesting movie especially since it's close to home. I didn't know the FBI were tapping their phones on the weeks before 9/11. I will definitely do some research on this subject.

Edit: Here's the CBS site on it:
http://www.cbs.com/specials/madams_family/

Edit2: calhoun07, where do you live?

Last edited by Ranger; 10-31-04 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to asking calhoun07 the same thing...sounds like his local affiliate preempted it for some censorship type reason. I live in the Bible-belt that is known as North Carolina and the movie was shown (on the same station that did not air "Cupid" and the "sister station" to the one that didnt air "Temptation Island").
Old 11-01-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by ENDContra
I was going to asking calhoun07 the same thing...sounds like his local affiliate preempted it for some censorship type reason. I live in the Bible-belt that is known as North Carolina and the movie was shown (on the same station that did not air "Cupid" and the "sister station" to the one that didnt air "Temptation Island").

Yep, heaven forbid the bible-thumpers and anal pinheads at the FCC learn that there are brothels operating in the Big Easy. The country would collapse.
Old 11-01-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Network affiliates do this all the time - pre-empt or postpone network prime-time programming for some syndicated movie or TV show. The reason? By showing a movie like "Mr. Mom," they get all the advertising revenue from commercials they air during that time. When they air CBS' line-up, they have to split the ad revenue with the network. So by pre-empting the network's movie into late-night, the station gets all of their "prime-time" ad revenue from whatever 2-hour block they aired "Mr. Mom," and they split "late-night" ad revenues (which are less) with the network. I believe affiliates have clauses in their network contracts that specify X number of times per year/TV season they can do that. Most of the time when an affiliate pre-empts a network show, they do air the network's show late that night.