Old 10-29-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TV Bosses Lament 'Dried Up' Comedy Genre

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...on_networks_dc
TV Bosses Lament 'Dried Up' Comedy Genre
Fri Oct 29,12:55 AM ET Entertainment - Reuters TV

By Andrew Wallenstein

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The programing chiefs at all six broadcast networks held forth on the sorry state of televised comedy Thursday, blaming a shortage of originality and an abundance of executive meddling.

"I think it's dried up. It's like a prune," said Gail Berman, president of entertainment at Fox Broadcasting Co., who pinpointed her network's own Emmy-winning "Arrested Development" as an exception. "There's nothing new going on."

Berman and her network rivals shared their thoughts at the Hollywood Radio & Television Society's annual Newsmaker luncheon Thursday at the Beverly Hilton.

Kevin Reilly, president of entertainment at NBC, laid the blame on the excessive amount of creative notes scriptwriters are inundated with by network executives.

"I think the process of making sitcoms is smothering creativity," he said. "I think it's a miracle anything gets through."

Dawn Ostroff, president of entertainment at UPN, held up the originality of ABC's new drama hits as examples to emulate on the comedy side.

"We can't be derivative," she said. "Part of what makes 'Desperate Housewives' and 'Lost' is they all started with something that was not on the air."

Improving comedy development was one of many issues addressed during the panel discussion, which was moderated by "Hollywood Squares" host Tom Bergeron.

Stephen McPherson, president of ABC Primetime Entertainment, defended the primacy of the broadcasters in the television landscape and diminished the role of emerging broadband technology. "You're not going to have 28 million people watching a show on the Internet," he said.

"His opening numbers would indicate people are coming back to broadcast television in a big way," echoed Nina Tassler, president of CBS Entertainment, referring to ABC's strong start to the season.

David Janollari, president of entertainment at the WB Network, said that the development experience that all current broadcast programing chiefs have is "exciting for the business. We know how to talk to creative talent."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Welcome to the party. We've known this for years. Now stop talking about it and act on it.

das
Old 10-29-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: TV Bosses Lament 'Dried Up' Comedy Genre

Originally posted by das Monkey

Welcome to the party. We've known this for years. Now stop talking about it and act on it.

das

Yep - it has been a dark ages for sitcoms since the late 90s. Even my long-term favorite 30-min comedies - King of Queens and That 70s Show are old and tired now. When Joey is considered the best new comedy, you know the genre is very very weak overall.

The best comedic programs on television now tend to be hour-long programs like Rescue Me, Desperate Housewives, The O.C. and Gilmore Girls.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-29-04 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: TV Bosses Lament 'Dried Up' Comedy Genre

"I think it's dried up. It's like a prune," said Gail Berman, president of entertainment at Fox Broadcasting Co., who pinpointed her network's own Emmy-winning "Arrested Development" as an exception. "There's nothing new going on."
"And if there is, we'll just cancel it like Greg the Bunny."
Old 10-29-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they need to stop giving Jim Belushi his 1000th chance to have a funny show. I honestly think he only gets roles because people feel bad about his bro.
Old 10-29-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Between this and the comments on HBO having an "unfair advantage": it sounds like the suits just don't get it and have no interest in working hard to fix things. In other words: same old, same old.
Old 10-29-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

According to Jim is one of the few traditional sitcoms on the air that doesn't suck. Look, I'm as shocked as anyone else, but it's a funny show. Besides, Kimberly Williams is a permanent resident on my Top ## ... Brad Paisley's on another "list" of mine too.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 10-29-04 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Jim is one of the few traditional sitcoms on the air that doesn't suck. Look, I'm as shocked as anyone else, but it's a funny show. Also, Kimberly Williams is a permanent resident on my Top ## ... Brad Paisley's on another "list" of mine too.

das
fair enough. I haven't watched it but I knew it was his like 10th different show. anyway.....
Old 10-29-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New sitcoms need to pass the "living room" test.
If the living room is one of the primary sets for a sitcom, chances are there is nothing "fresh" about it.
Old 10-29-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this whole problem could be fixed by just doing a "when big fat obnoxious animals get married to millionaires" type of show.
Old 10-29-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
this whole problem could be fixed by just doing a "when big fat obnoxious animals get married to millionaires and try to get a job from Donald Trump" type of show.
Fixed
Old 10-29-04, 12:23 PM

"People, this isn't working. We need something new and fresh...quick, get out your TV's and start channel flipping!"*

*apologizes for probably mangling the quote, it's from memory
Old 10-29-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Of course. Any genre is going to get stale when it breeds hundreds and hundreds of bad shows amongst just a few gems.
Old 10-29-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: TV Bosses Lament 'Dried Up' Comedy Genre

Originally posted by Jeraden
"And if there is, we'll just cancel it like Greg the Bunny, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Undeclared, ...."
Fixed.
Old 10-29-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Of course. Any genre is going to get stale when it breeds hundreds and hundreds of bad shows amongst just a few gems.
And when the execs decide to switch a show's timeslot *every single week* (Futurama, Keen Eddie...), it makes it hard for a show to be seen and enjoyed by the masses
Old 10-29-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I HATE sitcoms. There is the rarest one that I can handle like Bernie Mac (no laugh track), Curb Your Enthusiasm (no laugh track) and Seinfeld (laugh track not needed).

When I see people bitch about reality shows I often think that sitcoms are an easier target of vitriol. At least from me.
Old 10-29-04, 03:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Traditional sitcoms may be dying out, but it doesn't mean tv comedy is. Right now the funniest shows on tv IMO are Gilmore Girls, South Park, Arrested Devlopment, and the Chappelle Show. That's an hour long comedy/drama, an animated show, a nontraditional half hour comedy, and a sketch comedy show. I do watch Joey and That 70s SHow, but that's it for traditional style comedies.
Old 10-29-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: TV Bosses Lament 'Dried Up' Comedy Genre

Originally posted by Jeraden
""And if there is, we'll just cancel it like Greg the Bunny, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Undeclared, Futurama..."
Double fixed.

Comedy isnt dead...the good stuff is on "Adult Swim".
Old 10-29-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: TV Bosses Lament 'Dried Up' Comedy Genre

Originally posted by UAIOE
Comedy isnt dead...the good stuff is on "Adult Swim" and BBC America (Coupling, The Office, Peep Show...).
Fixed.
Old 10-29-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thankfully, shows like Futurama and Andy Richter Controls the Universe have been cancelled to highlight this point.
Old 10-29-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well there's a few other sitcoms other than Arrested Development that are good. they include Scrubs and Reno 911 but there isnt much else. Most of the writers these days dont know how to write good stuff.
Think of shows that are clever and they dont last long because the audience liked dumbed down stuff that they can watch while doing something else at the same time.
Old 10-29-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So the network executives think that excessive notes from executives are filling sitcoms......isn't there an easy fix...stop tooling with the shows you nimwits!
Old 10-29-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Traditional Sitcom Checklist

Funny - Hope and Faith
Not Funny - According to Jim
Funny(sometimes) - Everybody Loves Raymond
Not Funny - My Wife and Kids
Funny - Scrubs
Not Funny(but different) - Life with Bonnie

D
Old 10-29-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
According to Jim is one of the few traditional sitcoms on the air that doesn't suck. Look, I'm as shocked as anyone else, but it's a funny show. Besides, Kimberly Williams is a permanent resident on my Top ## ...
It's really not that bad.
Old 10-30-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by B.A.
It's really not that bad.
I believe ABC is going to be using that tagline in the new According to Jim promos.
Old 10-30-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I've seen a few of the According to Jim episodes. I agree, it isn't that bad, but then again, it isn't Tivo season pass worthy either. If I catch one I catch one.

Glad someone finally mentioned Scrubs.

I'll add George Lopez. It is like a typical family sitcom, but every situation is taken to the extreme and blown out of proportion. Two and a Half Men is pretty good two, not totally original but it's funny.

Lastly, on the fresh idea, but cancelled anyway list I'll add the ever popular Sports Night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.