Reload this Page >

Prognosis Good for 'Medical Investigation'

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-21-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) NBC has prescribed a full season for its first-year drama "Medical Investigation."

The series, which follows a National Institute of Health team that diagnoses baffling medical cases, has been the strongest performer among the network's three new dramas this fall, drawing a decent-sized audience in the quiet zone of Friday nights. It's also top-rated Friday series among adults 18-49, NBC's target demographic.

"We've had great viewer response to this show and week-to-week the audience and the ratings continue to grow," says Kevin Reilly, president of NBC Entertainment. "We couldn't be more pleased with the show's performance and look forward to the unlimited potential it has to gain an even larger fan base as the season continues."

"Medical Investigation" is averaging about 9.3 million viewers a week. Its 3.4 rating among adults 18-49 is the best of any show on the night. Both figures are marked improvements over what NBC drew in the 10 p.m. Friday spot through this time last year.
Neal McDonough ("Boomtown"), Kelli Williams ("The Practice"), Christopher Gorham ("Jake 2.0"), Troy Winbush ("The Last Shot") and Anna Belknap ("The Handler") star in the series, which comes from Paramount Network TV and NBC Universal TV Studio.

"Medical Investigation" joins "Joey" in receiving a full-season pickup from NBC. The network has yet to make a decision on "LAX," which is moving to Wednesday nights beginning next week, or the animated comedy "Father of the Pride." "Hawaii" has been shelved for at least the November sweeps period, and several news reports say production has stopped.
Old 10-21-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
It wins its time slot on Friday's, but that's not saying much.
Old 10-21-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Prognosis Good for 'Medical Investigation'

Originally posted by movieking
The series . . . has been the strongest performer among the network's three new dramas this fall
Now that's just sad.
Old 10-21-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Yes, it is.
Old 10-21-04, 02:57 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I think it's funny.

This has been an awful fall for NBC, Their new shows are bombing and the juggernaut's in their lineup like ER, Law & Order, and L&O: CI have all slid to second place in their timeslots.
Old 10-21-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont tell me I don't have anymore ratings!

D
Old 10-21-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Despite what other think, I really like this show, so I'm happy to hear this news.
Old 10-21-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good to hear that MI is doing well. I watch this show almost every week.
Old 10-21-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I watch the show and rather enjoy it. Good news that it will stick around for awhile.
Old 10-21-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just couldn't get into this. I watched it for three episodes, but I gave up on it. I am really surprised that it is being renewed. I think that NBC is so eager to find any good news in its new shows that they picked what they considered to be the best bet (along with Joey, which was a no brainer).
Old 10-21-04, 10:16 PM

Tried watching the show when it first started, but it seemed to be a combination of every dramatic movie/tv cliche that I seen many times over. I also cannot stand Neal McDonough's acting, never have been impressed with him.
Old 10-21-04, 10:57 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
We just took this off our Season Pass, but I might put it back on since Hawaii's gone now.
Old 10-22-04, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I find the show interesting especially since that is exactly the field that I am studying right now. That being said I think it is hilarious that every time they have some unknown agent that has already killed a bunch of people they still don't wear even a simple mask when interviewing a person let alone any other personal protective equipment.

As far as non technical gripes I think the stories and the logic behind them are a little difficult to follow (despite my familiarity with the field) and all of the actors seem to overdramatize WAY too much.
Old 10-22-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Silkk_34
I also cannot stand Neal McDonough's acting, never have been impressed with him.
you never saw Boomtown, I take it?
Old 10-22-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was disappointed watching last week when McDonough didn't say "We're back at square one."

I thought that was going to be their catch phrase after the first few episodes.
Old 10-22-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually don't mind this show. It's not bad, I continue to watch it. I just find it sad that a Friday night show with moderate ratings is NBC's highest-rated new drama.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
Old 10-22-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the show is OK, but some of the ideas are pretty wacky. did anyone see last week's episode where organic milk and foods caused MS in athletes?