DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Favorite new show of the 2004-05 season (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/390671-favorite-new-show-2004-05-season.html)

Red Dog 10-14-04 11:32 AM

Favorite new show of the 2004-05 season

For timing purposes, I will use the Emmy parameters for a season, meaning June 1-May 31.

Lots of buzz around many of the shows. I included the ones that seem to garner the most discussion in here. If you favorite isn't listed, vote other and elaborate.

Red Dog 10-14-04 11:35 AM

This is a really tough call for me. I really like Rescue Me, Lost, Desparate Housewives, and Entourage. The are all very different shows as well.

I'll go with Rescue Me since it does a very good job of stradling that line btwn comedy and drama. Furthermore, it draws more laughs from me than any other show currently on television. Plus I simply can't vote against an F/X show. ;)

lwhy? 10-14-04 11:37 AM

I like Lost and Desperated Housewives. The race is on. They are tied down the stretch. After a heart racing finish, Lost wins as my favorite new show by a hair.

Jonny2k1 10-14-04 11:38 AM

Although I liked Entourage a lot, I will have to give the edge to Rescue Me. I thought it was just an amazing show. I also like Joey, but it's nothing special.

Tracer Bullet 10-14-04 11:39 AM

Jack & Bobby is the only new show I watch, so I had to vote other. I intend to watch Lost, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Chew 10-14-04 11:39 AM

Lost for me. No contest. :)

Meatpants 10-14-04 11:41 AM

Lost, no question. Desperate Housewives is a wasted opportunity.

B.A. 10-14-04 12:06 PM

Rescue Me - w/out a doubt.

Charlie Goose 10-14-04 12:14 PM

"Lost" is number one.
I also like "Desperate Housewives", "Joey", and "Veronica Mars".
"Entourage" is just okay so far.

Tried and discarded "CSI:NY" and "Hawaii".

Groucho 10-14-04 12:16 PM

Lost

I'm liking Desperate Housewives so far, but it's only been two episodes.

Joey has ranged from "Bad" to "Okay." Not a great show, IMHO.

I haven't seen any of the other shows.

Jadzia 10-14-04 12:25 PM

I voted for DH, but I'm also enjoying Lost, Jack & Bobby, and Veronica Mars.

Love Rescue Me, but I don't really consider it a new "fall show". Same with Entourage, which was enjoyable, but is now over.

Very lukewarm on LAX, CSI:NY, Kevin Hill, and Medical Investigation. Already dropped The Mountain.

I have only watched the first Boston Legal so far and the jury's still out for me. Haven't watched my Tivo'd Life As We know It yet.

Had no interest in even checking out Joey. (I hate most sitcoms and do not find them worth my time.)

Red Dog 10-14-04 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Jadzia

Love Rescue Me, but I don't really consider it a new "fall show". Same with Entourage, which was enjoyable, but is now over.

As I said before, it is for Emmy purposes.

tofu 10-14-04 12:45 PM

It's a tossup between Boston Legal and Lost for me. I voted for Boston Legal since it didnt' have much love.

Groucho 10-14-04 12:49 PM

(I hate most sitcoms and do not find them worth my time.)
(sorry for the hijack)

I think it would be worth your while to check out Arrested Development if you haven't already. Very different than what else is out there. Rent the DVD on Tuesday.

(/sorry)

Roto 10-14-04 01:03 PM

I've seen Desperate Housewives, Lost, Joey, Entourage and Boston Legal. Of those, Lost is the clear winner for me. I won't be watching Boston Legal anymore. You have to do something really different to get me to watch another cop or lawyer show. It's been done to death!

I haven't seen Rescue Me yet, but I want to. I missed the first couple of episodes so I'm waiting for reruns. I don't expect to like it more than Lost though.

Jadzia 10-14-04 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
(sorry for the hijack)

I think it would be worth your while to check out Arrested Development if you haven't already. Very different than what else is out there. Rent the DVD on Tuesday.

(/sorry)

That's the only one I watch. :)

And Curb Your Enthusiasmm if that counts as a sitcom.

I just hate shows with laugh tracks.

Brain Stew 10-14-04 01:10 PM

I don't watch drama on television, so I chose Joey.

Jim 10-14-04 01:26 PM

What network is Rescue Me on? I've never heard of it and can't find it on any of the network websites I've checked.

Red Dog 10-14-04 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Jim
What network is Rescue Me on? I've never heard of it and can't find it on any of the network websites I've checked.

F/X

There is whole world of great television out there besides what the networks provide.

rkndkn 10-14-04 01:33 PM

Jim, "Rescue Me" is on FX. Last night was the season finale (13 episodes). However, they do show reruns several times a week. I would expect them to show the entire run again before the next season begins around mid-2005.

AndyCapps 10-14-04 01:57 PM

I need to give Rescue Me a chance because it's got Joe Astor(James McCaffrey) in it. I picked Lost.

Kal-El 10-14-04 01:59 PM

Personally it's Joan of Arcadia because I only started watching it this season, but for the purposes of this thread, I voted Lost.

B.A. 10-14-04 02:02 PM

That's the only one I watch. :)

And Curb Your Enthusiasmm if that counts as a sitcom.

I just hate shows with laugh tracks.

-eek-

I can't believe you don't watch Scrubs.

Cornholio 10-14-04 02:43 PM

Listen Up

or
Desperate Housewives

Kicker_of_Elves 10-14-04 03:09 PM

I'm digging the hell out of Lost so far. I've been watching Joey and CSI: NY as well but neither of them get me looking forward to the next weeks episode as much as Lost does.