Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite new show of the 2004-05 season

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What's your favorite news show of the 2004-05 season?
Rescue Me
15.23%
Desperate Housewives
8.61%
Lost
61.59%
life as we know it
0.66%
Joey
3.31%
Entourage
1.32%
Boston Legal
1.99%
CSI: NY
1.32%
Veronica Mars
1.99%
Other (explain)
3.97%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite new show of the 2004-05 season

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by nny

As for this thread, I consider the poll kind of pointless since Lost and Rescue Me are obviously the 2 best. I would've waited until Fox was able to premiere their new shows and then made the thread: "Favorite fall show besides Lost." Rescue Me shouldn't be on there because it's had a whole season vs. only a couple of episodes for most of the other shows.

I don't think it is obvious (from a personal standpoint) at all. DH is a brilliant show as well. I figured Lost would win this poll easily judging how big those threads get in this forum. Frankly, I am a little surprised that Rescue Me is doing this well - it is what I voted for, but those threads don't have a whole lot of discussion. In the 2 weeks it has been on, DH might have more discussion in this forum than the whole discussion of Rescue Me over the season.

FOX did premiere a lot of their shows already - in the summer. Now if someone wants to vote North Shore, be my guest.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-18-04 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-18-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Lost. It also happens to be the only new show I started watching.
Old 10-18-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to narrow it down to just one.

I voted for LOST, but feel I must mention DESPARATE HOUSEWIVES.
Old 10-19-04, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3831609/deta...110192004&ts=H

'Desperate Housewives' Rejected By Most Networks

POSTED: 9:22 am EDT October 19, 2004

NEW YORK -- TV's hottest new show was rejected by five networks before ABC picked it up.

Creator Marc Cherry says NBC and CBS didn't want "Desperate Housewives." Neither did HBO, Fox or Lifetime.

HBO said it wasn't gritty enough. A CBS suit told him it was too dark for network chief Leslie Moonves' taste. NBC supposedly was choosing between "Desperate Housewives" and another script, and chose the other. Fox thought it wasn't right for the network. So did Lifetime.

ABC was willing to take the chance. ABC scooped it up and it's been the No. 1 show on Sunday nights since it premiered. Nearly 21 million people tuned in Sunday night. Cherry said he's "stunned" by how popular the show is.

With its Sunday time slot, "Desperate Housewives" seems to be filling a void left when "Sex and the City" went off the air in February: a vehicle for viewers, particularly women, to have a few laughs the night before a new work week begins.

Both shows feature four beautiful women. But instead of navigating the single life in the world's most glamorous city, the "Desperate Housewives" women are dealing with the realities of life behind a facade of the American dream.

Chris
Old 10-19-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mrpayroll
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3831609/deta...110192004&ts=H

'Desperate Housewives' Rejected By Most Networks

POSTED: 9:22 am EDT October 19, 2004

NEW YORK -- TV's hottest new show was rejected by five networks before ABC picked it up.

Creator Marc Cherry says NBC and CBS didn't want "Desperate Housewives." Neither did HBO, Fox or Lifetime.

HBO said it wasn't gritty enough. A CBS suit told him it was too dark for network chief Leslie Moonves' taste. NBC supposedly was choosing between "Desperate Housewives" and another script, and chose the other. Fox thought it wasn't right for the network. So did Lifetime.

ABC was willing to take the chance. ABC scooped it up and it's been the No. 1 show on Sunday nights since it premiered. Nearly 21 million people tuned in Sunday night. Cherry said he's "stunned" by how popular the show is.

With its Sunday time slot, "Desperate Housewives" seems to be filling a void left when "Sex and the City" went off the air in February: a vehicle for viewers, particularly women, to have a few laughs the night before a new work week begins.

Both shows feature four beautiful women. But instead of navigating the single life in the world's most glamorous city, the "Desperate Housewives" women are dealing with the realities of life behind a facade of the American dream.

Chris

DH also finished 3rd overall in the ratings last week, beaten only by CSI and CSI: Miami.
Old 10-19-04, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
DH also finished 3rd overall in the ratings last week, beaten only by CSI and CSI: Miami.
I had wanted to watch this show, but I already had too much to watch and I've had to delete 5 or 6 SP's on my Tivo, just these last 2 weeks. Just not enough time in the day!

Maybe I will catch it next summer.

Chris
Old 10-19-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mrpayroll
I had wanted to watch this show, but I already had too much to watch and I've had to delete 5 or 6 SP's on my Tivo, just these last 2 weeks. Just not enough time in the day!

Maybe I will catch it next summer.

Chris

You better hope it is repeated during the summer. These type of shows are generally not repeated by the networks.
Old 10-19-04, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
You better hope it is repeated during the summer. These type of shows are generally not repeated by the networks.

Well then, I'll have to wait for the DVD!

Chris
Old 10-19-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched Life as we Know it last week and wasn't all that impressed. It was ok, but Dawson's Creek also shared a writer and a cast member with Freaks and Geeks and I doubt that it had much of an influence. This seemed like the typical high school drama along the lines of 90210, Dawson, etc. Not bad, but not groundbreaking.