Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dead Like Me - 10/10/2004

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Dead Like Me - 10/10/2004

I wish more people were talking about this show. It is my favorite show on TV right now.

Great ep, IMO. It will be interesting if Joy goes to work at Happy Time, since she's met Millie before.

Wow, quite an end to the "Ray" storyline, I must say. So, did anyone else think that the graveling coming out of him meant that he didn't have a soul? Or that his soul goes into the Graveling instead of moving on? Cool idea, either way.

Nice that they're continuing the mysterious Rube storyline. Good cameo by "Lisa Simpson".

Great ep, can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.

X
Old 10-13-04, 11:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Rube's storyline is one of the best paced multi-episode arcs I've seen on television. They give us "just enough" each episode to keep it interesting.

I don't think Joy will work at Happy Time. For one thing, this will force the show to address the "Does Millie look like George?" continuity issue that they've been dodging this season. Also, the vibe I got from the ending scene is that she's going to be doing "Kitchen Organization" as her part-time job to pick up money. BTW, the scene between Joy and Delores was quite good.

What I got from Ray's death is that when a person dies without a post-it (it isn't their time), then they become a Graveling. Last season they had a lot of "What happens when..." episodes, but this was one scenario they hadn't covered.
Old 10-13-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish more people talked about it too. This is the only show I have been watching religiously (not counting reality TV like RW and RW/RR). Rube's storyline is going great and I can't wait to see where it goes. Glad to see Will Ray go, couldn't stand his character at all, and this should get quite interesting in the next few episodes.

I thought it would be great if Joy ended up working at Happy Time, but I agree with Serious Groucho. What I got from the last scene was also that she will be doing the kitchen organization gig.
Old 10-14-04, 09:44 AM

I wasn't sure with how they left Joy's plot. She could be doing both, I suppose, but I just don't see that many people wanting to pay $75 an hour for organization. Maybe she could piggyback onto Delores' website. I can see them becoming friends.

Groucho - what ambiguity are you talking about with George's appearance? She looks like "Millie". To everyone. Joy has even met Millie. Not sure what you're referring to here.

Ray - yeah, I was hoping that maybe he didn't have a soul or something, but that makes more sense. They have addressed what happens when you miss your time, but not what happens when you go before your time. Maybe it has something to do with being killed by a reaper?

X
Old 10-14-04, 11:18 AM

It looks like really bad people become Gravelings.

D
Old 10-14-04, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Xander
Groucho - what ambiguity are you talking about with George's appearance? She looks like "Millie". To everyone. Joy has even met Millie. Not sure what you're referring to here.
In the first season, they showed "Millie" a few times, and made a point that she was plain, and well...unattractive.

This season, there have been a lot of guys flirting with George, and treating her like she was attractive (as George is). There has been no reference back to different look in this season at all.

I think it was a plot point that they decided to quietly drop.
Old 10-14-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
In the first season, they showed "Millie" a few times, and made a point that she was plain, and well...unattractive.

This season, there have been a lot of guys flirting with George, and treating her like she was attractive (as George is). There has been no reference back to different look in this season at all.

I think it was a plot point that they decided to quietly drop.
I think they dropped it too. There is no way all these guys would think Millie is attractive, let alone hot. She got all sorts of attention on her VIP reap. Millie looked like a crack addict in the first season, the writers must have decided it wasn't an angle worth pursuing. But with that being said, what does she actually look like? If she looked normal than her family would be able to recognize her. It's one point I haven't liked about this season.

I wish I could watch the rest of this season, but I am a cheap bastard and won't pay the whole bill for Showtime since my roommates don't want it.
Old 10-14-04, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Jonny2k1
But with that being said, what does she actually look like? If she looked normal than her family would be able to recognize her.
They've dodged that too...she's had no contact with her family this season (in Season 1 "Millie" talked to Joy a couple times).
Old 10-14-04, 02:27 PM

So what are you guys saying? Do you think she changed back to looking like George? I think she still looks like "Millie". Maybe she started wearing makeup, or got a better hairdo or something. Hopefully Joy will come back to Happy Time and this will be addressed.

X
Old 10-14-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what are you guys saying? Do you think she changed back to looking like George? I think she still looks like "Millie". Maybe she started wearing makeup, or got a better hairdo or something. Hopefully Joy will come back to Happy Time and this will be addressed.

X
I think they are suggesting that she looks like George again. I suppose Millie could be attractive, but I don't think she would be getting all these guys that have been attracted to her this season. She definitely wouldn't get into a rock concert based on her looks. Disregarding what Millie looks like, how do you think that Daisy gets all the guys? They've always maintained she is extremely attractive, but is her mortal body as attractive or more attractive than her soul?

It's just a little problem, and I wouldn't let it ruin my joy of the show....but it definitely should be explained a little better.
Old 10-14-04, 03:31 PM

So what are you guys saying? Do you think she changed back to looking like George?
My guess is that they wanted to give George a romantic storyline, realized that they couldn't do that if she still looked like "Millie," so they "forgot" that particular plot point.
Old 10-14-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I apparently had a completely different take on the Graveling coming out of Ray... I assumed it was because a Reaper, who unofficially doesn't exist, directly took his life, it created the Graveling.

I see where the other side of the argument is coming from, but the way Daisy acted and the short little conversation they had. Didn't Mason say something like "You knew...?" Could be referring to the fact he had a Graveling instead of a soul, but since Mason is clearly pretty fucked from the looks of things, I think the Graveling came to be because Ray was killed by a Reaper.

As others brought up, my ongoing pet-peeve this season is the fact all the reapers give their real names/no more Millie. If they were afraid of getting people confused... Anyone that gets confused over the Reapers using different identities shouldn't bother watching this show.
Old 10-15-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
George has to look like Millie.

Remember that George worked for Delores before she died and, based on this episode, Delores definitely remembers her. George (Millie) can't have reverted to looking like George again or Delores would have noticed.

As to Rube's sub-plot, assuming that reapers don't look like their pre-death selves based on the above, rube was involved with whoever he's searching after his death, given that the wanted poster he found bears his current resemblance.

Also, am I recalling correctly an early episode where they showed what Mason & maybe Betty look like now?
Old 10-15-04, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by ytrez
As to Rube's sub-plot, assuming that reapers don't look like their pre-death selves based on the above, rube was involved with whoever he's searching after his death, given that the wanted poster he found bears his current resemblance.
Good call! It's looking like Rube robbed a bank after he became a Reaper and sent the money to his wife and daughter.
Old 10-15-04, 11:26 AM

Didn't the kid at the records place make a comment about how he looked just like the guy in the wanted poster? Or am I completely making that up?

Also, am I recalling correctly an early episode where they showed what Mason & maybe Betty look like now?
I remember in one of the first eps... maybe even the pilot they did show Mason. Him and George were in front of a store window with video cameras and he was showing her what they look like.

Not sure about Betty.
Old 10-15-04, 11:37 AM

After thinking about it, I'm going to take back my previous post about Rube.

Based on the flashbacks, and based on George...the Reapers appearance that we (and they) see are how they appeared in life. Which means that Rube was wanted for bank robbery BEFORE he died.

So I'm guessing he was killed in the commission of a robbery. Probably the "one last job" cliché that you see all the time.
Old 10-15-04, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by fnordboy
Didn't the kid at the records place make a comment about how he looked just like the guy in the wanted poster? Or am I completely making that up?
Yes, I heard that too. To me it just seems like they've just dropped the alternate appearance idea, but to reconcile it in my head, I just pretend that the other appearance is really just a self-defense mechanism when confronted with people they knew in life, like when George couldn't remember details of her life when she talked to Joy. I just pretend the living can't recognize reapers they knew in life.

Now that I think about it, they really just should have done it like that in the first place...
Old 10-15-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
George has to look like Millie.

Remember that George worked for Delores before she died and, based on this episode, Delores definitely remembers her. George (Millie) can't have reverted to looking like George again or Delores would have noticed.
That's a good point. I started to think they got rid of the alternate appearance also but in this episode Delores clearly remembers specefic details about George. Millie may not be ugly anymore but she definitely does not look like George.
Old 10-15-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After thinking about it, I'm going to take back my previous post about Rube.

Based on the flashbacks, and based on George...the Reapers appearance that we (and they) see are how they appeared in life. Which means that Rube was wanted for bank robbery BEFORE he died.

So I'm guessing he was killed in the commission of a robbery. Probably the "one last job" cliché that you see all the time.
Unfortunately that doesn't work, Groucho. I'm okay with the reapers looking like they did in life to US (the viewers). But in this case the kid sees the wanted poster and says "looks just like you". He shouldn't see what we see (the pre-death Rube). He should see the post-death Rube, thus the picture on the poster must be post-death.

Also, I suspect that he was successful in his robbery and wasn't killed because he sent the money (which got lost in the mail). I'm assuming it was the stolen money but that's just conjecture on my part.
Old 10-15-04, 03:10 PM

My brain just exploded. But I think that we can all agree that there's a bit of a continuity problem regarding the reapers appearance in life vs. in death.
Old 10-15-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BrewCrew
Millie may not be ugly anymore but she definitely does not look like George.
Maybe Millie just fixes up nice.
Old 10-15-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My brain just exploded. But I think that we can all agree that there's a bit of a continuity problem regarding the reapers appearance in life vs. in death.
I'm not sure. The Rube situation, with a final determination on pre or post-death in regards to the poster will determine, I think if there is a continuity problem. The only other basis we have, I believe (& correct me if I'm wrong) is that people think Millie is cute/hot.

I'm willing to believe Millie might be able to look good with some work. George has adjusted to being dead quite a bit since we saw the glimpses of Millie. Her improved demeanor should help a bit as well. I'm also willing to say the Daisy's visiage is as hot as her "real" appearance.

Or.......maybe if you're dead for long enough, you revert to how you looked in life? Nevermind, I don't even want to start thinking about that.
Old 10-15-04, 03:22 PM

I'm also willing to say the Daisy's visiage is as hot as her "real" appearance.
I'll have to disagree here. That would be impossible.

Daisy =
Old 10-15-04, 05:41 PM

In a previous discussion I had about this, I was told that in the first season it was established that the alternate identity's appearance is tied to their job performance as a reaper. I personally don't remember them saying that, but does anyone else?

Though that still wouldn't explain the Rube/wanted poster problem.
Old 10-15-04, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by hardcore
In a previous discussion I had about this, I was told that in the first season it was established that the alternate identity's appearance is tied to their job performance as a reaper. I personally don't remember them saying that, but does anyone else?

Though that still wouldn't explain the Rube/wanted poster problem.
I have no recollection of this. If so, I'd think that Rube would look like Brad Pitt by now!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.