Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Late, Late Show: Drew Carey guest-hosts the first two eps (9/20-21)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 01:36 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Note: Here's the thread about Kilborn leaving.

From CNN.com:

Drew Carey to kick off 'Late Late' season
Saturday, September 18, 2004 Posted: 5:38 AM EDT (0938 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Prime-time comedian Drew Carey has signed on to serve as guest host for the first two segments of the CBS "Late Late Show" next week when the program returns for its first season without Craig Kilborn.

Carey, also starring in a new improvisational comedy show on the WB network this fall, will be the first in a series of "Late Late" substitutes to fill in for Kilborn until a new permanent host is found, producers said on Friday.

A source close to "Late Late" said the appearances of some future guest hosts would amount to on-air auditions.
Just a heads up for Late, Late Show fans...

Seems like Tom Snyder only left the show yesterday, let alone Kilborn!
Old 09-18-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Drew Carey, but I don't think that he is host material.

Anyone know the status of Drew Carey's Green Screen? I thought that it was supposed to air this week, but it didn't seem like it did. I asked the same question here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2
Old 09-18-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The producers said some guest hosts would be auditioning. I don't think Drew is one of them. IF the producers really mean that some of the guest-hosts are auditioning, it lets all of us tune in to see who works well and then "debate" it over the water cooler. Seems like a ratings stunt.

They know 2 or 3 names they want and if someone from the guest-host thing blows them away, maybe they'll be considered. If names like Conan, Jon Stewart and Chris Rock, the big 3 names that CBS wouldn't dick around with auditioning aren't available, than it will be fun to watch and see who really blows us away. Like, who knew how good Vince Vaughn would be guesting for Dave?

I hope Amy Sedaris kicks butt, I just don't think she will.
Old 09-21-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I caught part of his show last night. It wasn't bad - I liked how he poked fun at CBS News. Zach Braff was pretty funny, too.

I wasn't expecting to see Drew with long (for him) hair. Damn hippie!
Old 09-21-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
Anyone know the status of Drew Carey's Green Screen? I thought that it was supposed to air this week, but it didn't seem like it did.
It was pushed back to October 7th. Carey showed a clip of it last night and the animation looked great.
Old 09-21-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone know when adam carolla is guesting?
Old 09-22-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
saw him "interviewing" the hot underage chick from "8 Simple Rules"...I thought their conversation was funny, but Drew didn't do it for me as an "interviewer"...
Old 09-22-04, 03:36 AM

D.L. Hughley, Michael Ian Black, and Ana Gasteyer are scheduled to guest host this week and next.
Old 09-22-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by William Fuld
It was pushed back to October 7th. Carey showed a clip of it last night and the animation looked great.
Thanks for the update! I was looking for it to air again tonight, but I guess I will have to wait a couple of more weeks.
Old 09-22-04, 08:04 PM
Cool New Member

I saw him last night interviewing Daryl Hannah and it was painful. He would make some comment or she would and then he would do a fake sounding laugh that seemed to always go on too long. He kept commenting on "sticking it to the man" and would comment on men she talked about working with and she finally said something like "you've really got a thing for men, don't you?" That was the best part of the interview.
Old 09-22-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by cerulean
D.L. Hughley, Michael Ian Black, and Ana Gasteyer are scheduled to guest host this week and next.
Hey kids! It's the Parade of Mediocrity!
Old 09-23-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Hey kids! It's the Parade of Mediocrity!
I want to say something nice about Michael Ian Black because he was on Ed, but, still, I can't lie...there hasn't been one decent host mentioned lately and Drew would be an awful choice.

I expected better because it's in LA, but I think it says a lot about Kilborn that guest-hosting that show is probably an insult to even a lot of "B" level celebrities.

I really expected CBS to want to make a splash to give them something to bring people over who switch from Letterman right over to Conan, but it looks awful at the moment.

Dan Rather might be available soon.
Old 09-23-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

D.L. Hughley made Kilborn look like Carson. It was so awful.

CBS is doing a poor job in letting audiences know who their next guest host is going to be. I know I didn't make it through the entire show to see if they mentioned it, but they don't even let you know on their website.

I really don't care who the host is tonight, Jamie Pressly as a guest is reason enough to watch it for a few minutes.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-23-04 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by dolphinboy
I want to say something nice about Michael Ian Black because he was on Ed, but, still, I can't lie...there hasn't been one decent host mentioned lately and Drew would be an awful choice.
I really liked "Ed" as well, so I would be willing to watch with MIB as host. He was pretty funny during Celebrity Poker. When he hosted that "Spy TV" two years ago, he was unbearable, but that may have been just playing the part of a smarmy host.
Old 09-23-04, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I really liked "Ed" as well, so I would be willing to watch with MIB as host. He was pretty funny during Celebrity Poker. When he hosted that "Spy TV" two years ago, he was unbearable, but that may have been just playing the part of a smarmy host.
I think if he hosted as Johnny Blue Jeans (from Viva Variety) he'd be a great host
Old 10-20-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Tonight's show should be worth watching. David Duchovny is hosting and Gary Shandling is on.
Old 10-20-04, 09:39 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every time I see Duchovny do something comedic, it seems like it has the potential to be hilarious, but it's always off just a bit. Out of the hosts so far, he's probably the one I'm most looking forward to. There's something inherently funny about him, but imo, he's such a bad actor that he has trouble doing comedy right. I really liked this strip:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-08-30
Old 11-12-04, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Ok..Craig Ferguson ROCKS!!!! This guy is a natural when it comes bringin' The Funny.

Dear CBS,

PLEASE HIRE CRAIG!!!

Regards,

Giantrobo