DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Benefactor - 9/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/385284-benefactor-9-13-a.html)

j123vt_99 09-13-04 07:28 PM

The Benefactor - 9/13

who's watching??.. worst opening intro ever.. pretty good though.. kind of teaches you some business lessons

Alyoshka 09-13-04 09:13 PM

The intro was horrible, but I didn't mind the show. I think that it should get pretty interesting. I'm not all that interested in learning business tips from Cuban, but I think that if you look past that it's still a fun show.

BizRodian 09-13-04 10:09 PM

Man, I kept expecting mechanical arms to come out of that guy's back and him to battle Spiderman or something.

That, or he'd move to Florida, only to come back to LA later...

Joeboo835 09-13-04 10:56 PM

I thought the show was horrible. Cuban is so unbelieveably annoying.

Jenga? you have to be kidding me.

Darq 09-14-04 12:10 AM

Yeah.. first show in a while where i gave up half way through it. I ended up quick-skipping through the 2nd half just to see who got kicked off. It's off my ReplayTV now. What an annoying guy.

PorkChopExpress 09-14-04 12:31 AM

Definitely annoying. Cuban just seems so evil: that fiendish grin and those eyes! The show's almost too cheesy to watch but I thought I'd give him a chance and stick it out. Besides, some of the girls were hot.

Aphex Twin 09-14-04 12:35 AM

The Donald has more charm, charisma, and personality than the Cube. Why didn't they just give David Geffen, Steve Jobs or Eli Broad the show?

They must have mentioned $1 million dollars at least every 4th word. We get the point...someone will win $1 million dollars..if you are going to repeat it so often, just put it as a flashing marquee on the bottom of the screen for the entire show.

the_dude8 09-14-04 01:56 AM

kathy and tiffany are hot;

Alyoshka 09-14-04 02:01 AM

I think Cuban is a great guy, but part of that is bumping into him in Dallas is not uncommon. He's always been reallly friendly and down to earth.

And come on...Jenga is great! Who hasn't broken out Jenga at the end of a drunken party?

shanester 09-14-04 05:22 AM

I thaught the show was good. I liked the fact they were being watched as soon as they entered the house and didn't know it

I think cutting three people in one show creates more tension

He seemed to like that stalky football chick from New York and she's got the perfect "Why I need the million bucks" story. Her mom being hit by a car and losing both her legs was pretty sad

Cuban seems very savy he's very good at reading people

I'm gonna keep watching. How long is this show on for??

cdollaz 09-14-04 08:55 AM

It started off well with the hidden camera and the interviews, but the Jenga thing was just stupid. So you want to test their competitive nature, fine. How about doing it with a contest that actually brings out their competitive nature, not a game that is mostly luck. It looks like this show will not have any real point, just random, silly things that get people booted.

saoirse 09-14-04 10:47 AM

I liked that they got rid of people right away, but as a whole, the show seems to suck, and the rich guy is an ass.

Bruce_S 09-14-04 10:52 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think Mark Cuban has a good down to earth perstonality but toward the end of the show -- he started to annoyed too. Maybe, it just for the first show but he's got too much airtime. I hope that will lessen as the shows progresses. We really don't need to see him onscreen overacting over 'jenga'.

After watching the preview for the upcoming shows - I like some of the sport activities challenges, however, there seems to be alot of crying.

~bruce

j123vt_99 09-14-04 11:08 AM

it is a decent challenge to test your nerves.. steady hand and all that

Originally posted by cdollaz
It started off well with the hidden camera and the interviews, but the Jenga thing was just stupid. So you want to test their competitive nature, fine. How about doing it with a contest that actually brings out their competitive nature, not a game that is mostly luck. It looks like this show will not have any real point, just random, silly things that get people booted.

Duran 09-14-04 12:43 PM

Originally posted by shanester
I thaught the show was good. I liked the fact they were being watched as soon as they entered the house and didn't know it

I kinda liked the show as well, but only a moron would have thought they're not being watched. It's a reality TV show! They had cameras at their homes to record the Cuban invitations!

movieking 09-14-04 01:10 PM

Yeah, the whole videotaped phone call reception from the players houses was a bit too much. I mean, c'mon people, they sent a camera crew to your house to catch your reaction when you received the call, and we are supposed to believe that you let them in without asking why they were there, and what they caught was the first time you heard about it?

I have no problem with trying to show the excitement of receiving the invitations to the game, but to try to stage it like it was capturing the first time they found out was pretty dumb.

Overall, I skipped in and out of the show, and it reminded me of Andy Dick's show where he tossed someone right away because of some flippant comment he made to him on the way in the house. And that is a comedy. For Cuban to do it was kinda corny in my opinion. Although I am glad that this reality show seems to be on the fast track to eliminate people.

Quake1028 09-15-04 12:58 AM

I liked it a lot actually, then again I like Cuban.

Roto 09-15-04 02:39 AM

I like Cuban too, but I didn't really like the show. Jenga once is funny, but after seeing the preview for next week it looks like this kind of elimination could continue througout the rest of the show. I'm going to lose interest quickly if this is how people get kicked off.

Spoiler:
H-O-R-S-E?

Plus, I thought Grayson was hot and I wanted to learn how much money she was making playing poker.

cdollaz 09-15-04 09:03 AM

What is the deal with the bitter, hateful, angry bitch? I think her name is Shawn.

fujishig 09-16-04 02:30 PM

Wasn't the whole premise of this show: "Cuban kicks people out for no discernible reason other than personal preference?"

I guess it would've been funnier if Andy Dick's show didn't beat him to the punch...

sq240 09-16-04 03:39 PM

I enjoyed the show, but then again I am a huge Mark Cuban fan.

I am really pissed to see Grayson go and that annoying bastard stay.. Grayson is a beautiful woman and she was one of the more interesting people on the show.

The bitch shawn has got to go.

Patman 09-16-04 04:31 PM

I finally watched the show, and I think it's too haphazard and places too much credence on Cuban's egomanical whims. This is what happens when a big ego and big money get mixed up to produce yet another "reality TV" show.

The should be called "Finding The Biggest Butt-Kisser in America"

Boot 09-18-04 09:47 AM

I thought it was mildly entertaining. I'll catch it a few more times just to see what kind of tests these people will have to endure. Cuban's ego is a bit off-putting, but he does seem to be having fun with it.

DRG 09-18-04 01:36 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian
Man, I kept expecting mechanical arms to come out of that guy's back and him to battle Spiderman or something.
I kept thinking:

http://www.celebritywonder.com/mp/20...rman_2_009.jpg + http://img.slate.msn.com/media/1/123..._joe_schmo.jpg = http://www.pbs.org/wttw/ceoexchange/...how8/cuban.jpg