DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The X-files: shot on film or video? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/383092-x-files-shot-film-video.html)

Dammit 08-31-04 07:08 PM

The X-files: shot on film or video?

Anybody know if this series was shot on film or video?

I don't own the dvds yet. Was thinking about picking them up but might wait if they were shot on film. HD versions are more likely if it was shot on film. Video means all they could do is upconvert it which wouldn't do much.

jaeufraser 08-31-04 07:17 PM

It was shot on film.

Jackskeleton 08-31-04 08:54 PM

Most shows are shot on film.

Rivero 08-31-04 09:15 PM

Shot on film but the Season 7 episode X-Cops, where Mulder and Scully track a werewolf with a video crew, was shot on video.

Dammit 08-31-04 09:27 PM

Well I guess I'm waiting (netflix will do for now). Season sets are too expensive to be double dipping on. X-files in HD and re-mixed 5.1 would be pretty sweet though. Hope they do it.

Lara Means 08-31-04 11:20 PM

Great! When the HD version of the X-Files are released 10 years from now and if youre even still alive by then.... feel free to bump this thread!

Michael Corvin 08-31-04 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Lara Means
Great! When the HD version of the X-Files are released 10 years from now and if youre even still alive by then.... feel free to bump this thread!
No kidding. And even then the first 4 seasons will still be non-anamorphic on your HD version.

Dammit 09-01-04 12:42 AM

I'm thinking HD is not nearly as far away as a lot of dvd fans think it is.

I'm also thinking the early seasons may be reframed to 16x9 (or just have black bars on the sides which doesn't bother me).

Lastly I'm thinking that I don't need it that bad. ;)

There's plenty of good shit to buy in the meantime. I don't mind double dipping on some individual movies but the thought of 9 seasons worth of a tv show is a bit much for me. If it never happens, ah well. No biggie.

Thanks for the info, however. Appreciate the help.

ENDContra 09-01-04 01:08 AM

If you buy all 9 now, youll probably be able to unload them for $40 each when HD versions are released (maybe more if they are OOP), assuming youre an early adopter, which you must be by waiting for HD-DVD. When these are released in HD, there will be plenty of people willing to take the original sets off your hands.

Jackskeleton 09-01-04 05:43 AM

Well I guess I'm waiting
you tell us how that works out for you.

Gil Jawetz 09-01-04 08:33 AM

Shot on film, but all post-production was done on video (this is standard for TV dramas since they'll never be shown in a theater.) So there is likely no HD master, especially not for the early, best years. Don't bother waiting (and don't bother buying S6 and beyond)

cornflakeguy 09-01-04 09:07 AM

Speaking of which....why is it that X-Files from 7 years ago look like crud on TV, but I Love Lucy from 50 years ago looks great!?!

It's like the X-Files on film just sit and deteriorate becoming more and more grainy as the years go by.

cfg

Draven 09-01-04 09:13 AM

There will be a format after HD...and another format after that...and another format after that.

If you are in no hurry to buy them, then wait. But X-Files episodes jacked directly into your brain with an exclusive SuperSmell-X track might not be far down the road either. There's always something better on the horizon.

Gil Jawetz 09-01-04 09:13 AM

The film elements are a non-issue. They shoot on film and immediately transfer to video. Everything after that is done on video. Why it looks like crud, I don't know. Lousy copies sitting around in syndication, I guess.

shaggy 09-02-04 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
Shot on film, but all post-production was done on video (this is standard for TV dramas since they'll never be shown in a theater.) So there is likely no HD master, especially not for the early, best years. Don't bother waiting (and don't bother buying S6 and beyond)
Season 7 and 8 are amazing, some of the best episodes in the entire series, Season 9 is also very good, its reputation is unfair, people are very slow to adapt to new things

Giantrobo 09-02-04 07:21 AM

Didn't they shoot the Cops/X-Files crossover on video?

Jackskeleton 09-02-04 08:10 AM

they already mentioned that.

Dammit 09-02-04 11:58 AM

Originally posted by ENDContra
If you buy all 9 now, youll probably be able to unload them for $40 each when HD versions are released (maybe more if they are OOP), assuming youre an early adopter, which you must be by waiting for HD-DVD. When these are released in HD, there will be plenty of people willing to take the original sets off your hands.
That's true. I'll probably start checking the local pawn shops and see if I can get a few seasons used.

Giantrobo 09-02-04 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
they already mentioned that.

My bad. :D

Gil Jawetz 09-02-04 02:57 PM

Originally posted by shaggy
Season 7 and 8 are amazing, some of the best episodes in the entire series, Season 9 is also very good, its reputation is unfair, people are very slow to adapt to new things
I dunno. I adapted to liking the early episodes immediately when i first saw them. I think they betrayed the characters starting in 6 and 7 and that 8 and especially 9 were travesties. But this is obviously opinion stuff.

shaggy 10-01-15 11:01 PM

Re: The X-files: shot on film or video?

Originally Posted by Lara Means (Post 5253897)

I found this through a Google search, and was really impressed by this prediction. The HD versions did take 10 years, and they are just coming to Blu-ray this year.

The season 1 HD remasters on Netflix look incredible.

milo bloom 10-02-15 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 12604993)
I found this through a Google search, and was really impressed by this prediction. The HD versions did take 10 years, and they are just coming to Blu-ray this year.

The season 1 HD remasters on Netflix look incredible.

What aspect ratio are they in?

Groucho 10-02-15 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton (Post 5253274)
Most shows are shot on film.

I was going to dispute this until I realized the post was made over 11 years ago!

VHS? 10-02-15 12:17 PM

Now the only question. Is Dammit still alive?

shaggy 10-02-15 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 12605273)
What aspect ratio are they in?

16:9 on Netflix. I'm on episode 4 of season 1 and I'm blown away how good it looks.