TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sharona leaving Monk

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Sharona leaving Monk

No Sharona -- actress exits USA's 'Monk'
Tuesday, August 31, 2004 Posted: 9:46 AM EDT (1346 GMT)

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) -- The hit USA Network series "Monk" is losing Bitty Schram, the Golden Globe-nominated sidekick to series star Tony Shalhoub.

Schram will not return as Sharona, nurse and assistant to Shalhoub's obsessive-compulsive detective, when the show resumes the second half of its third season in January.

"'Monk' has decided to go in a different creative direction with some of its characters," a USA spokesman said. "Bitty will not continue with the cast and we thank her for her notable contributions and wish her the very best."

"Bitty Schram and USA Network have amicably decided to go their own separate ways ... She wishes everyone connected with the show continued success and looks forward to pursing the various opportunities before her," Schram's management firm, Untitled Entertainment, said in a statement.

Schram was with the series since its inception. She was nominated this year for a Golden Globe for best actress in a comedy series. Shalhoub won an Emmy for best actor in a comedy series after its first season.

USA already has put the word out in the casting community for a new regular part on the series, that of a world-weary but attractive thirtysomething widow who works as a bartender.

While both USA and Schram's management characterized Schram's exit as a change in creative direction, there were rumblings in recent weeks that some members of the series' supporting cast, including Schram, Ted Levine and Jason Gray-Stanford, attempted to renegotiate the terms of their contract.

Levine and Gray-Stanford, who play San Francisco cops constantly vexed by Monk's unorthodox detective work, will remain with the series, according to a USA spokesman.

Sources indicated that the renegotiation process led to the most recent filmed episode being shot without any of the three supporting actors.

Television networks are increasingly willing to take a hard line against raise-seeking actors who aren't absolutely essential to the show. Last month, the CBS hit drama "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" fired and rehired cast members George Eads and Jorja Fox after a similar salary standoff.
Old 08-31-04, 09:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like she was fired after negotiations went sour, which is too bad. She was integral to the series.

"There's no crying in baseball!"
Old 08-31-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-31-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that sucks. I wonder what is going to happen with the series now? Hopefully we don't see any more of that obnoxious black nurse. One episode of her was enough.
Old 08-31-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not a huge fan of Sharona, but she is going to be hard to replace. I am curious to see how far back this sets Monk.
Old 08-31-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Sharona is what makes the show what it is. That game show episode a few weeks back proves that, it didn't have the same flow for me.
Old 08-31-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Fonzie has just cleared the ramp...
Old 08-31-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
That really sucks.

She's as much a part of the show as Monk is.
Old 08-31-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
I am not a huge fan of Sharona, but she is going to be hard to replace. I am curious to see how far back this sets Monk.
Agreed. Over the past season, she's just been there, without much to do. Unfortunately, her character has gotten stale. But, main characters leaving a show always spells impending doom.
Old 08-31-04, 11:10 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Dumb move by USA if she was fired. She was a huge part of the show
Old 08-31-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
That really sucks.

She's as much a part of the show as Monk is.
I agree. But I won't miss her son.
Old 08-31-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
I agree. But I won't miss her son.
Agreed...and his amazing growing/shrinking hair.

And I think they've even used different actors.
Old 08-31-04, 11:37 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I am so far behind on Monk (I think the last one I watched was the one with the power failure, where Monk made his date walk up to the restaurant on the 57th floor).

Anyway, Monk without Sharone=bad. Monk with wiscracking, world-weary bartender=very bad.
Old 08-31-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

a "wisecracking, world-weary bartender"...

who thinks up this shit..?
Old 08-31-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wisecracking, world-weary bartender

I guess Monk's going to become an alcoholic from now on At least a nurse for Monk made sense.
Old 08-31-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coyote Ugly/Monk crossover?
Old 08-31-04, 02:11 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doh.

So I guess that Sharona and Lt. Disher won't be hooking up anytime soon...
Old 08-31-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The show has sunk to near-slapstick with this last half season. Without Sharona, it will be even worse. If they bring back the obnoxious black nurse or the snivelling upstairs neighbor as regulars, I am so done with this series.

I am certainly no fan of actors trying to renegotiate his or her contract after hooking up with a surprise hit, but unless she threatened to not show up for tapings, I can't see why they fired her.

Different creative direction means the show as we knew it is dead.
Old 08-31-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sucks. I really liked Sharona, and feel that her character was integral. I disliked the replacement for a week nurse, and sincerely hope they change their minds about who to cast. I think he should just get a new nurse, but not anyone they used before.

I like tony shaloub enough to keep watching for now, but if it keeps going downhill...I'll be dropping this once great show from my lineup.
Old 08-31-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Fonzie has just cleared the ramp...
Forget jumping the shark, I think they're about to get eaten by the shark. I don't even know how the show can go on without Sharona. It's like if Laurel left and you just had Hardy.
Old 08-31-04, 04:31 PM

way to kill one of their highest rated shows.
Old 08-31-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisHicks
way to kill one of their highest rated shows.

Well crap, they changed to the most irritating theme song ever and that did nothing to the show's ratings, so they must have thought the show was bullet proof.
Old 08-31-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
I disliked the replacement for a week nurse, and sincerely hope they change their minds about who to cast.
I don't think that nurse will be replacement. She's on Reno 911! (and I hope she stays there, where she is much more entertaining).

Anybody else hate it when they show Monk at his shrink? To me, it's not at all entertaining.
Old 08-31-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by griz

Anybody else hate it when they show Monk at his shrink? To me, it's not at all entertaining.
Maybe not at the shrink, although the one scene where he was in the lobby when the other OCD guy was there was pretty funny.
Old 08-31-04, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Cusm
Well crap, they changed to the most irritating theme song ever and that did nothing to the show's ratings, so they must have thought the show was bullet proof.
not sure if this was meant as sarcasm or not but there is a difference between the theme music and a major cast member.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.