Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kilborn is outa here

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Kilborn is outa here

Heard this on the radio this morning and can not beleive there was not a post yet.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5967457

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Late-night comedian Craig Kilborn is quitting his CBS talk show after a five-year stint in the time slot following "Late Show With David Letterman," Hollywood's trade papers reported on Friday.
Kilborn and Viacom Inc. -owned CBS had been in talks throughout the summer for a new multiyear deal keeping him at the helm of "The Late, Late Show with Craig Kilborn," but he told network executives on Thursday that he wanted to move on, according to Daily Variety.

"It was easily the greatest job I've had, and CBS was very generous in their offer to re-sign me," the paper quoted Kilborn, 41, as saying. "But I simply want to try something new. I can now focus on writing and producing different television projects I haven't had time for."

Kilborn will leave his Los Angeles-based job by early next month, Daily Variety said. It speculated that CBS may try to lure Conan O'Brien, whose NBC show outdraws Kilborn's in the 12:35 a.m. slot. However, it noted that O'Brien's contract with the General Electric Co. -owned network does not expire until December 2005.

During the past 12 months, "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" has averaged 2.5 million viewers each night, compared with 1.6 million for "Kilborn," according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Sorry no bold, the article is short enough.

Last edited by Cusm; 08-13-04 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if he would ever go back to ESPN full-time?
Old 08-13-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Quake1028
I wonder if he would ever go back to ESPN full-time?
That was my first thought....I hope so. Doubt it though.
Old 08-13-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good riddance, the only one worse than him is Leno
Old 08-13-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would think if he wants to write and produce different television projects, he won't be going back to Bristol.

I always thought he was great on SC, not so great on CBS.
Old 08-13-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Somewhere, a frat boy is weeping.
Old 08-13-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
at the bottom of a dark, Scottish lach...
Old 08-13-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My stomach churns at the thought of months and months of media speculation as to the new host. Jon Stewart??? Conan O'Brien??? Chris Rock??? Dat Phan??? Justin Guarini???
Old 08-13-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I would highly doubt Conan would jump ship. His deal w/ NBC is extremely lucrative. It would be funny if they hired Andy Richter to go up against Conan.
Old 08-13-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only thought Kilborn was funny on the Daily Show. I never really liked his talk show.
Old 08-13-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't see Conan going anywhere either
Old 08-13-04, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
My stomach churns at the thought of months and months of media speculation as to the new host. Jon Stewart??? Conan O'Brien??? Chris Rock??? Dat Phan??? Justin Guarini???
das Monkey with his loyal sidekick Twikoff!

I loved watching Craiggers on The Daily Show. I tried watching Kilby for a little bit when he got the Late, Late Show, but it just didn't take.
Old 08-13-04, 12:06 PM

Get ready...it'll be Ryan Seacrest.

Old 08-13-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
guess this'll free up his time for some more "grab ass" at the Playboy Mansion..
Old 08-13-04, 12:11 PM

Carson "I'm a self proclaimed tool" Daly
Old 08-13-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kilborn was awful and he knew it, that's why he quit.

If Letterman has any say, he should do anything he can to steal Jon Stewart away from Comedy Central. And before everyone who loves that show decides to kill me, CBS and Letterman should tell Stewart he can bring his entire staff and do the show exactly how he wants to do it. They should also tell him he gets the Late Show when Dave retires.

Dave had a chance at Stewart before and something didn't work out. I've always thought Stewart would be the best to take over for Dave, except that if Dave wants to do 10 more years or even 5, would Jon want to take over that late?

If CBS had Letterman followed by Stewart (with Lewis Black and Colbert, Bee, Helms, etc doing their bits), they might blow NBC away. They'd certainly win all of the Emmys.
Old 08-13-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Chalk me up as one of the ones that actually liked The Late, Late Show. Funnier than Letterman and Leno combined.
Old 08-13-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Chalk me up as one of the ones that actually liked The Late, Late Show. Funnier than Letterman and Leno combined.
Unforunately the midget demographic is not large enough to give sufficient ratings.
Old 08-13-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Letterman has any say, he should do anything he can to steal Jon Stewart away from Comedy Central.
Didn't Stewart sign a deal recently with Comedy Central that lasts until 2008?
Old 08-13-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Maybe so, but it's not even half as funny as Late Night w/ Conan.

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Didn't Stewart sign a deal recently with Comedy Central that lasts until 2008?
Yep. Like $5 million a year or so, I think.
Old 08-13-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They should just run infomercials at that time period. Nothing can compete with Conan.
Old 08-13-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you guys are seriously underestimating the play that CBS will make for Conan.

As much as I love Dave, it's become apparent that he has very few years left in him. He's going to emulate Carson right down to his "always leave them wanting more" approach to retirement. That will leave 11:30 in play, in a relatively short amount of time.

And I think Mr. Letterman would love nothing more than to leave behind a Conan vs. Leno late-night landscape.

Of course, the fact that CBS and Comedy Central are both owned by Viacom could also free up Jon Stewart, as well.
Old 08-13-04, 05:09 PM

I thought Conan signed a contract with NBC that would have him until 2006.
Old 08-13-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
I think you guys are seriously underestimating the play that CBS will make for Conan.

As much as I love Dave, it's become apparent that he has very few years left in him. He's going to emulate Carson right down to his "always leave them wanting more" approach to retirement. That will leave 11:30 in play, in a relatively short amount of time.

And I think Mr. Letterman would love nothing more than to leave behind a Conan vs. Leno late-night landscape.

Of course, the fact that CBS and Comedy Central are both owned by Viacom could also free up Jon Stewart, as well.
From what I've been reading, I think you might be right. It seems like Dave may have even let CBS know already that he's not going to go for that many more years. This would be a great opportunity for Conan, because he will never get The Tonight Show, because Leno will work until he drops dead. Conan could have the Late Show and the coveted 11:30 spot within 5 years. I still prefer Jon, but to see Conan step in and be the eventual replacement for Letterman would make me feel great because Conan has said he grew up looking up to Letterman, kind of the way Letterman looked up to Carson. It would be perfect. But what can Moonves do to get Conan? Will there be another late night war over Conan? Would Triumph replace the Late Show models? Does Conan have the balls to upset the people at NBC who gave him his job and Jay Leno for a once in a lifetime opportunity? This is getting fun.
Old 08-13-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jamezuva
Good riddance, the only one worse than him is Leno
word

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.