Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Harry Shearer says The Simpsons stinks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
I agree with Shearer too, but I also think that the show is making somewhat of a comeback now that Matt Groening is involved again. It's a shame that Futurama was cancelled, but at least the Simpsons is watchable again.
Old 08-12-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last season was the best in years. Which doesn't say much ,but it was a vast improvement.

There's really something to the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you..."
Old 08-12-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sorry, but it's the way he's voicing his complaints. He could have gone directly to the source to air his grievances, but he appears whiny because he's complaining to the press - not the most productive way to influence a change.

He could have quit or threaten to quit but instead took the raise so although he has a right to his opinions (and they are right) that doesn't mean his motives are all that altruistic.
Old 08-12-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Last season was the best in years. Which doesn't say much ,but it was a vast improvement.

There's really something to the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you..."
I agree with you Wildcat. I enjoyed last season a lot. My favorite was "I, (annoyed grunt)-Bot".
Old 08-12-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He has a point.

The show has declined and the parts he voices (and others voice) used to be actual characters in the show instead of interchangable walk on characters.

The show is past its prime and i'm glad someone on the show is saying what alot of (former) fans are saying about the show.
Old 08-12-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
"Let him have his TAR-TAR sauce."
Old 08-12-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mverleg1
I agree with Harry, but I disagree with most of you. I support him. We come here week after week and bitch about how the show sucks, and you see how much good that has done. 3 seasons of the suckiest suck to ever suck. I'm glad that somebody in a position of power (if you can call it that) has spoken out. I don't see the fact that he gets paid more than any of us as an issue. By saying "he gets paid a whole buncha money, so he should shut up", you're saying he can be bribed to not speak out. Glad to see the quality of the show is important to somebody.
Well said. The show started to suck once they started up that Futurama garbage.
Old 08-12-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by saoirse
Well said. The show started to suck once they started up that Futurama garbage.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

Futurama was far better than the Simpsons have been for the past 10 years.
Old 08-12-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they should end it too. FOX doesnt have too much on that is good anymore and what they do have that is good, they usually cancel after 3 or 4 episodes so of course they are going to try and milk this cow dry just like they did the X-files and Beverly Hills 90210. All these shows were kept on way after their prime.
Old 08-13-04, 05:30 AM

Shearer has always been a pain in the arse. Read "Live From New York", the book about the history of Saturday Night Live sometime. His fellow castmates talk there about how he's a control freak and not a very nice person.

As for speaking out of class....I don't think he should have gone public, but he certainly has a right to. I think he owes some loyalty to the people who have made him a millionaire many times over. That's not to say he couldn't have gone to Brooks, Simon or Jean and said something to them behind closed doors, though.

And if it sucks, Harry, then why did you stay on?

TK
Old 08-13-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He says he'd "rather not be involved now." Nobody's twisting his arm. They just threw a lot of money at him and he took it.

If your principles are that high, Harry, maybe you should have turned down the money and walked away.
Old 08-13-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why should he be fired or reprimanded at all? Unless he signed a contract to not discuss the problems with the show, I don't see where he did wrong. If he's got that much invested in the show, I feel he has every right to say something about it, good or bad. Instead of attacking him, the producers should be weighing his words carefully and seeing how the show really stacks up to the past. And it doesn't. Hell, Wait Until Your Father Gets Home was better than the current seasons of Simpsons.
Old 08-13-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
he can kiss my ass

I still laugh my ass off on a weekly basis
and its still doing very well
Old 08-13-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by slop101
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

Futurama was far better than the Simpsons have been for the past 10 years.
ive always loved simpsons

tried to watch futurama a few times.. found it to be total crap
Old 08-14-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by twikoff
ive always loved simpsons

tried to watch futurama a few times.. found it to be total crap
I felt the same... at first - I didn't fall in love with Futurama until I watched the dvds (and it wasn't even until the 2nd set). Give it another chance - seriously. I will admit that you have to be in the right frame of mind to get the most out of it.
Old 08-14-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

maybe Ill give it another shot
after i watch my family guy dvds for about the 20th time
Old 08-14-04, 09:08 PM

Futurama was what Simpsons was during the first 5 or 6 seasons in that it was hilarious, yet there were also well constructed stories and sentimental moments. The jokes were approiate too and fit in to what was going on.

Family Guy is what the simpsons has become, which is just abstract over the top jokes...Except Family Guy is funny and does it much better than the current Simpsons.

Certainly Simpsons in its prime was better than any, but it took a few seasons to hit its stride. I wish Futurama was given a better chance because I think it was just about to hit its best.
Old 08-16-04, 09:16 AM

The show should have ended in the late '90's the latest. He's right it does suck(the last 5 yrs at least). At least some shows know when to call it quits...cough..South Park...cough - i will miss it though. You can't do a show for 20yrs(please end before that comes!!) you just can't.
Old 08-17-04, 03:42 PM
Banned

I still think the show is good. And after reading some of your posts I learned why the last season was notably better then the preceeding few.
Old 08-17-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shearer sickens me, for a man who gets paid so much for saying lines while some people work whole days back braking labor and earn shit.

And he is wrong after all about saying The Simpsons "lost it"
That is pure shit, first of all the weakest times for the simpsons was i think 2, 3, or 4 season ago, i can't exactly pinpoint it. But it has improved though. What if the Simpsons were dropped after their 2nd season before it got "haha" funny in Season 3? The man should keep his trap shut, disrespecting everyone who works harder than him on the show. So basically, the men who create the show, the writers who think up of it all, editors, were just offended by his statement that the Simpsons aren't that great anymore, The Simpsons ARE the writers, editors, etc.
Old 08-19-04, 07:13 AM

Al Jean's response

I am responding to recent comments by Harry Shearer regarding the current quality of the Simpsons." writes Jean. "He complains that his parts have shrunk--the reason for that is, as showrunner, I am never sure if he will show up for the table reads for which he is so handsomely paid. More than once, in the past, I have had a show set for a Thursday read featuring Harry's characters and been told on the Wednesday before that he is not coming. Hence, I have learned not to give him too much to do in any episode. Mr. Shearer also describes how he was happier with season four of the show. Well, I ran seasons three and four and he didn't seem very happy to me then. I can particularly remember how he repeatedly complained to me and others about how much he disliked the episode "Homer at the Bat", which is now viewed as a classic.

I am personally offended by his comment that he feels "totally screwed" by the show financially. He is set this year to make over 5.5 million dollars for what can generously be described as a few hours work a week. When I consider how much firefighters and teachers in this country earn, Mr. Shearer's remarks make me want to throw up."
From Simpsons Channel
Old 08-19-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
Why should he be fired or reprimanded at all? Unless he signed a contract to not discuss the problems with the show, I don't see where he did wrong.
You need a special clause in your contract not to badmouth the people who pay you? I have no such clause with my employer either, but you can be sure if I gave an interview to even a local newspaper saying how much the place sucks, I would be out on my rump before the end of the day. With good reason. Either take the check and shut up, or follow your words and tell your story walking.