Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The American Candidate - 08.01.04 (Series Premiere)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what I expected with this show, but I was really hoping it would be more than a silly elimination-style reality show. Not one of these people seems even remotely qualified to run for President, let alone be one. I mean, when Gephardt's daughter can't even get 150 people to show up at a rally when both her father and Pat Kennedy show up to support her, that's just sad. And the guy who barely got 50 people ... wow. Not only was he a terrible speaker without much of an opinion on the issues, but 50 people? That's pathetic.

What really annoyed me about this show was that half the candidates were "activists." Come on. Unless you're obsessed with a specific cause, who wants to vote for someone with a one-track mind like these people? Elected officials should represent a spectrum of views, and the President in particular needs the ability to delegate and lead. I don't know if it's just the way the show was edited or not, but it sure seemed like it's just a bunch of one- (or two-) issue folk: the gay guy, the pro-choice lesbian, the PETA/Vegan guy, the Veteran lady, the anti-Gay Marriage guy, the anti-Brady Law guy, etc. Like I said, it could just be the editing, but these "candidates" don't seem particularly deep.

I may keep watching, but this definitely was not what I expected.

das
Old 08-02-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I left it on for about 2 minutes to see what it was about because I was waiting for Dead Like Me to come on. I just dont see the purpose of this show. I wasn't paying very close attention, but are they really just pretending to be running for President? What does the winner actually get? I have a real presidential campaign to watch, and that's boring enough. I couldn't sit through it because it just sounded too pointless.
Old 08-02-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess it's contractual, but they always said, "I'm running for the American Candidate" but then it's talked about in terms of running for the Presidency. The winner gets $200,000 and the title of "American Candidate" but there was no mention of an effort to get this person on a ballot or anything. It was all pretty silly.

das
Old 08-02-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't like the candidates, there isn't a whole lot at stake as far as the contest goes, there most likely won't be much if any swearing or nudity even though it's on Showtime, and it probably won't be 1/10th as exciting as the Otterville presidential campaign, yet you may keep watching it?

I think it's time for an intervention.
Old 08-02-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[Vader] It is my destiny ... [/Vader]

das
Old 08-02-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
When SHOWTIME first announced this project, it was only going to consider people who were actually ELIGIBLE to run for President (35 years or older) and was going to let the winner choose if he/she actually wanted to run with a public announcement on the final show (Showtime couldn't officially endorse a person because of election laws and TV rules about equal time).

However, about halfway through the application process, they decided to turn it into some dog & pony show - asking for candidates 18 or older and encouraging people to be "original" with their submissions...in other words, they whored out a good idea looking for more odd characters and higher ratings.
Old 08-02-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It could've been an interesting/scary idea if they did the original idea on network tv.