DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Soup (E!) - Series Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/377690-soup-e-series-thread.html)

nny 07-31-04 09:50 AM

The Soup (E!) - Series Thread

Well, it looks like the What The? Awards has changed names after only a few weeks. The show does seem a little redundant since we also have Best Week Ever, but I've been missing Talk Soup for awhile and The Soup is much more similar to that.

This week's episode was the best so far. I think my favorite line was, "Scientists believe the monkey will eventually stop walking upright; probably when Charlton Heston shoots it."

ShallowHal 03-19-06 06:53 AM

The Soup 3/17/06

I meant to create this on Friday, I know there are people here who love this show. I save it every week and watch it before anything else on Saturday (if I don't catch it Friday night). If you missed that, you missed the best Iron Chef clip ever.

Today's secret ingredient is....
Spoiler:
MCHALE!!!!

:lol:

What would it take to get McHale to give me a shout out? :banana:

GuessWho 03-19-06 07:05 AM

So meaty!

DJLinus 03-19-06 10:09 AM

Never seen a thread for this show before. I usually record "The Soup" and watch it while I have my coffee on Saturday morning. The show is great and Joel's really funny. His comments about Bruno from "La Madrastra" were always gold.

Between this show and "Best Week Ever", I get all of my pop culture news covered.

Buford T Pusser 03-19-06 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
So meaty!

-other-

love that voice.

Buford T Pusser 03-19-06 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus

Between this show and "Best Week Ever", I get all of my pop culture news covered.

Strong agreement.

Was it on this week? The local TV guide did not list it.

DJLinus 03-19-06 02:39 PM

I don't believe so. I noticed that my DVR didn't record it, so I checked the program guide and couldn't find it (VH1 usually replays it a few times throughout the weekend).

Matthew Chmiel 03-19-06 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Was it on this week? The local TV guide did not list it.

No. Maybe people have realized that Best Week Ever is complete shit when looked next to the greatness that is The Soup.

I used to be a huge Best Week Ever fan, but for quite some time now, the show has pretty much been a barrel of suck. Some of the "better" panalists (such as Danielle Schneider, Whitney Cummings, Miss Info, Rachel Harris, Jessi Klein, Patton Oswalt, Susan Yeagley, and Billy Merritt) haven't been on the show in ages and the few who are the funniest (such as Doug Benson, Christian Finnegan, Chuck Nice, Sherrod Small, and The Modern Humorist) aren't on as much as they should be. The newer folks on the show, simply put, suck. I actually had the chance to see Best Week Ever Live at The Comedy Festival back during November and it was great in a live and uncensored setting, especially where the panelists could go balls out and be mean; but on television, just doesn't work.

The reason I prefer The Soup (by a great mile) over Best Week Ever boils down to one thing: Joel McHale. His elitist attitude simply makes the show what it is. Unlike Best Week Ever which tries to relate itself to pop culture, The Soup just ridicules it with such a dark demeanor that even when jokes fail (and McHale realizes it), it's still funny. While I'm not a big fan of the new Cybersmack segment (let's leave the crappy viral videos to VH1), I still think the show rocks.

Jimmy James 03-19-06 07:39 PM

I haven't watched Best Week Ever in ages. I was never a really regular viewer, but I tried to catch it from time to time until I stumbled onto The Soup in its pre-"The Soup" name form. I think it was something like the Weekly Award Show or something.

My wife and I watch The Soup every Friday evening after she gets home from work. It's good to see we're not alone. :)

ShallowHal 03-19-06 07:46 PM

There used to be a show called 'Talk Soup' hosted by Hal Sparks (years ago), and then Aisha Tyler. I think there was a time between the shows, because I rememeber Talk Soup being gone and nothing like it in it's place.

I think it's funny that they have a segment called Chat Stew on a show that used to be Talk Soup. :lol:

Jimmy James 03-19-06 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
There used to be a show called 'Talk Soup' hosted by Hal Sparks (years ago), and then Aisha Tyler. I think there was a time between the shows, because I rememeber Talk Soup being gone and nothing like it in it's place.

I think it's funny that they have a segment called Chat Stew on a show that used to be Talk Soup. :lol:

Yeah, that's not what I'm talking about. The very show we know and love each week started without this "The Soup" name. I know I saw it for at least a couple of weeks before the name changed to leverage the Talk Soup history.

ETA: Thanks to wikipedia, I know now the first name was "The What The? Awards"

Detective Thorn 03-19-06 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
There used to be a show called 'Talk Soup' hosted by Hal Sparks (years ago), and then Aisha Tyler.

Don't forget Greg Kinnear and John Henson.

Buford T Pusser 03-19-06 09:18 PM

Exactly. When John Henson was on there I tried to watch it all the time. I believe it was five times a week? They mostly did talk show coverage at that time and it was before reality TV was around. I used to know all the cool ghetto phrases thanks to that show.

After he left I didn't really watch anymore but I've started back up in the last few months.

runnersdialzero 01-15-08 09:56 PM

Anyone else watch The Soup religiously?

This might be my new favorite show. More laughs per minute then just about anything else out there.

I pretty much gave up on the show when John Henson left.

But I've recently started watching it again and Joel McHale might be the best host ever.

Fun fact - Joel was a tight end in Division 1 College Football.

Saxon

GuessWho 01-15-08 10:03 PM

Sooo meaty.

The Bus 01-15-08 10:06 PM

I used to watch Talk Soup all the time, even during the lowly Hal Sparks years.

invisiblegt 01-15-08 10:08 PM

I heard a rumor that Jewbacca and Mankini were engaged. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case?

I was going to ask the Indestructable Cheerleader to go with me, but, well... I'm not entirely certain how good she's going to look in a dress, sans arms.

cdollaz 01-15-08 10:10 PM

I record and watch every week. Good stuff.

Dash 01-15-08 10:36 PM

I went to a Joel McHale live standup last week and it was pretty funny.

kenbuzz 01-15-08 10:45 PM

MasterofDVD 01-15-08 11:43 PM

Way back when John Henson was the host I would watch the show each and every time it was on no matter how many times they repeated an episode. The Hal Sparks episodes were somewhat enjoyable but when Aisha Tyler took over the show I stopped watching. The new host seems pretty funny and I enjoy the show when I catch it but I by no means watch it as religiously as I once did.

Cathepsin 01-15-08 11:46 PM

Yes, and then I watch the same clips on Best Week Ever.

raven56706 01-16-08 06:57 AM

yes.... and you know what..........ITS REALTY SHOW CLIP TIME.....

great show... the guy is funny as hell

DJLinus 01-16-08 07:34 AM

Not religiously, but most Saturday mornings I watch a re-airing while I enjoy my coffee.

As for "Talk Soup", it was weird for me because I would HATE each subsequent new host at first, then he/she'd grow on me. Greg Kinnear is still tops, though.

CPA-ESQ. 01-16-08 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
This might be my new favorite show. More laughs per minute then just about anything else out there.

I pretty much gave up on the show when John Henson left.

I'm with you - I stopped watching after Henson left.

But about 1 1/2 years ago I am a convert to Joel! I think he is better than John, but back in the John days he had Tom!! (which is still there, and it is fun when you catch a glimpse of him)

"My name is Nathaniel... I like to Dance!"