TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"The Boondocks" on Cartoon Network

Old 11-06-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does it take 2 years to make a 2nd season?
Old 11-06-07, 09:46 AM

I've seen three of this season's episodes. I wasn't impressed with any of them, really. A serious drop in quality from S1, IMO.
Old 11-06-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The whole Gin Rummy sequence with the bluetooth headset was pretty funny. My all-time favorite episode is still Wingmen, the one where Granddad goes to Chicago to deliver a eulogy.
Old 11-06-07, 11:18 PM

I like the season so far, but I'm still waiting for a good Huey-centric episode. The return of A Pimp Named Slickback has to be my favorite bit this season, so many quotable lines (Did you know that 75% of bitches suffer from some kind of hearing loss?) and the Let It Burn video had me on the floor laughing.
Old 11-06-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with groovrbaby. This season's off to a pretty good start, but I think it's time for a new character to step in somewhere *CoughCaesarCough*
Old 11-07-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm so confused. I have the S1 boxset and I figured they were on S3 on Cartoon Network. So you're telling me it's only on S2? What takes them so long?
Old 06-09-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
The Boondocks...opinions

So The Boondocks Season 2 review was just posted and it got me to thinking...who watches this and why do they like it.

However this was brought on by something else. A co-worker caught me laughing at an episode a little while back and asked me what I was watching. I said what it was and came right out and said, "This is the best show on TV not called The Wire". So on a whim my co-worker decided to watch one of the repeats. Needless to say, I got a rather stern lecture about this. It did not go well.

I stated to said co-worker why I like the show, it was in your face, it was real, it was funny, the animation is great, and the show carries a fantastic message. I pointed out that it isn't a black/white thing...I am white and I love this show. But my explanation wasn't good enough. So I posed the question, "well why don't you like it?" And I got this, "I just don't." Thanks bud, real helpful.

So my question to me fellow DVDTalkers is, do you like this show? Do you not like this show? Why or why not?
Old 06-09-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love it. I ignore a lot of the political commentary that was thrown in to the strip and that's in the show itself.. I just think it's in your face and hilarious.

A shame it was cancelled.
Old 06-09-08, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Love it. I ignore a lot of the political commentary that was thrown in to the strip and that's in the show itself.. I just think it's in your face and hilarious.

A shame it was cancelled.
I don't think it has been canceled...it just finished the current run of episodes.
Old 06-09-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton
I don't think it has been canceled...it just finished the current run of episodes.
It's on indefinite hiatus. The second season was shaved down to 13 episodes and hasn't been renewed for a third.
Old 06-09-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought there were a lot of hilarious things in it, but sometimes it fell a little flat. However the episodes with Sam Jackson were hilarious.
Old 06-09-08, 03:38 PM

So no one finds it offensive...interesting.
Old 06-09-08, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
It's on indefinite hiatus. The second season was shaved down to 13 episodes and hasn't been renewed for a third.
Not exactly...there were 15 episodes, the other 2 will never air in the US. But that is correct that it has not been renewed YET.
Old 06-09-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not exactly...there were 15 episodes, the other 2 will never air in the US. But that is correct that it has not been renewed YET.
My point. Granted there was 2 years between Seasons 1 & 2, but McGregor posted on a blog that it was cancelled. Take that as you wish.
Old 06-09-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I posed the question, "well why don't you like it?" And I got this, "I just don't."
I find that people who respond like this to shows like The Boondocks are typically the type that are uncomfortable with issues of race or even with black culture in general.

With that said, I love the strip, but I really disliked the 2 episodes of the show that I managed to watch (IIRC, the first 2 episodes of the 1st season). I felt that the show had a completely different attitude than the strip. The strip was a witty, sharp, intelligent piece of satire, while the show lost all of that and became a sprawling, unfocused mess. I honestly think that the show would have worked better if it'd been a 15-minute show instead of a full half-hour.

Anyway, it's a show that I want to revisit at some point. Maybe I'll see things differently when I get around to it.
Old 06-09-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Say what you want about The Boondocks, but the animation is not great. It's barely animated as it is.
Old 06-09-08, 06:44 PM

My least favorite show on adult swim, and that's saying something as most of the shows are terrible.
Old 06-09-08, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by FatTony
I find that people who respond like this to shows like The Boondocks are typically the type that are uncomfortable with issues of race or even with black culture in general.

With that said, I love the strip, but I really disliked the 2 episodes of the show that I managed to watch (IIRC, the first 2 episodes of the 1st season). I felt that the show had a completely different attitude than the strip. The strip was a witty, sharp, intelligent piece of satire, while the show lost all of that and became a sprawling, unfocused mess. I honestly think that the show would have worked better if it'd been a 15-minute show instead of a full half-hour.

Anyway, it's a show that I want to revisit at some point. Maybe I'll see things differently when I get around to it.
That is an interesting way to look at it. I may have to ask that.

As for the next part of your comment, I disagree. The strip is witty and sharp, but so is the show. The show just has to approach it differently. I have always believed that a strip, you can have the characters behave the way you want them to (their voice and such)...hence why some people tend to get more enjoyment from that. Where as the show, the creators dictate how the characters are supposed to be...you don't have the same connection to them.

This show hits on everything...and it strikes an amazing chord. It may rub some people a different way than others, but may it hits home for me (I am white but a lot of my friends are black and I grew up in an area like Woodcrest with a place called "The Hollow" in Morristown). And I think that is why I enjoy it so much. But the message, that is the best part about it.
Old 06-09-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love The Boondocks, and I loved the strip when it debuted, and anytime I had a newspaper in my hand I always made sure to check the strip before it hit the recycling bin. I don't find it offensive at all, but I'm not black, so I guess I'm not expected to. I'd love if there was a good Latino comic/cartoon along these lines, but anytime I've seen someone attempt one it is terrible and usually not even well drawn.
Old 06-09-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the show is hilarious; I'm a fan of the strip as well. I think that some of the weaknessess pointed out above are valid - it sometimes feels sitcom-y, no doubt because it's forced to fill it's runtime with unnecessary subplots and thus dulling the edge of the humor. As satire, it's often brilliant, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of that doesn't translate to certain viewers. I'm sorry to hear it was cancelled, if that's true. I've never found the show to be offensive, but then again, I share a lot of McGregor's sensibilities concerning today's black culture.
Old 06-10-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only managed to catch it ocassionally, but I enjoyed it a lot as well. Definately weren't afraid to poke at sensitive issues.

I'll be very sad if it is cancelled. Wouldn't surprise me though. Gotta make airtime for yet another craptastic 'two stoned frat-boys with an animation program and a Mac' series.
Old 06-10-08, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mike7162
I think the show is hilarious; I'm a fan of the strip as well. I think that some of the weaknessess pointed out above are valid - it sometimes feels sitcom-y, no doubt because it's forced to fill it's runtime with unnecessary subplots and thus dulling the edge of the humor. As satire, it's often brilliant, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of that doesn't translate to certain viewers. I'm sorry to hear it was cancelled, if that's true. I've never found the show to be offensive, but then again, I share a lot of McGregor's sensibilities concerning today's black culture.
I often wonder if the sitcom-y feel is intentional. To me it seems like it at times, but then again maybe not.

Also, a lot of people turned away this season because if played out a little different than the first season. That is understandable, but I noticed no loss in quality.

Lastly, I have been reading a lot of different internet sources (NOTE - I am not taking their word as gospel by any means), and the rumors of the shows cancellation seem to be greatly blown out of proportion. In fact some rumors suggest that season 3 was already in production when season 2 was airing. Again nothing here is fact, so until Cartoon Network announces it, the show is still on. And the DVD sales (comes out today with 2 unseen episodes) could help push the exces if needed.
Old 06-10-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Bus
Say what you want about The Boondocks, but the animation is not great. It's barely animated as it is.

Really? I thought the anime style was a very cool thing to do.

Wait, are you literally talking about the movements, or lack thereof, of the characters?

As far as the show goes, I love it. That said, I find Aaron McGruder's political ideas annoying; but the show's/Aaron's commentary on Black Culture is spot on. I have a friend who also loves the show and we often quote funny lines.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-11-08 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 06:14 AM

Aaron McGruder is a fool. Have you seen this new advertisement for boondocks season 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhlQA61f_rY
Old 06-11-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That is an awesome ad.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.