Reload this Page >

Ha Ha....oh man MTV sucks....

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-29-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm watching MTV2 because they are showing rock videos and that is the only time they aren't showing crap. The video for 45 by Shinedown comes on. But the song is named "Staring down.." And when the song gets to "I'm staring down the barrel of a 45.." they changed it to "I'm staring down the (edited out) of a (edited out)." Do they seriously think someone is going to shoot themselves or someone else if they hear 45 or barrel in the video? They don't edit it out on the radio version. What's the point? MTV is seriously lame.
Old 07-29-04, 12:50 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're just now discovering that MTV sucks?

They've sucked for so long. I think it started when they came up with MTV2 to show videos because MTV was playing too many non video programs. They should rename MTV to something else because it is far from Music Television.
Old 07-29-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
They've sucked for so long. I think it started when they came up with MTV2 to show videos because MTV was playing too many non video programs.
and now MTV2 is starting to play some of the same shitty non-music video programs.
Old 07-29-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
They should come out with yet another channel

MTV: No Seriously We Mean it This Time
Old 07-29-04, 03:24 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
In Europe they have a bunch of really great music channels.

At least on the UK Sat Co. Sky they do.
These are all on Sky Digital
MTV UK
MTV Hits
MTV 2
MTV Base
MTV Dance
Vh1
VH2
VH1 Classic
The Music Factory
the Box
KISS
Smash Hits TV
Magic
Q - this is q magazine.
Kerrang
Chart Show TV
B4
The Hits
Classic FM TV - Classical music has videos too.
Channel U
The Amp
Scuzz
Flaunt
Old 07-29-04, 03:36 PM
Retired

Fuse is the only decent music channel here. It's not on in many cable markets though. It is on DirecTV, one of many reasons I'm glad I switched from Comcast.
Old 07-29-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've watched VH1 Classic more in the past six months than I watched eMpTyVee 1 or 2 in the past six years. Especially since they just started a new show called The Alternative, focusing on, you guessed it.
With Time Warner, we get MTV, MTV2, Vh1, Vh1 classic, Fuse, CMT.

They'll edit out 'barrel' and '45' but they let Britney and Christina expose more of their body to the camera than their gynecologists usually see....
Old 07-29-04, 05:35 PM
Banned

Fuse is a good channel, at least for the time being. Sometimes the playlist is haphazard and sloppy but it's still a good alternative. I'm pretty good friends with that vj Juliya 'sky that everyone seems to love, she hosts this show Uranium, but 'Uranium Classics' is better and worth looking out for.
Old 07-29-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone read that article about Fuse in last weeks issue of Entertainment Weekly? It was a good read and it gave us hope of things to come.
Old 07-29-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
when did mtv not suck?
personally I never watched it other than an occasional beavis and butthead episode
Old 07-29-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MTV has been lame for a long time. I only flip to it for Headbanger's Ball, and Beavis and Butthead reruns on MTV2.
Old 07-30-04, 02:06 AM
Suspended

Wait a second - MTV plays music videos? Since when!
Old 07-30-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They still don't but MTV2 does. Although pretty soon, they'll probably move the videos to MTV8
Old 07-30-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
I just got Voom. So I get Fuse now, but better yet I get Rave. It is an all music channel in HD. Everything I've seen so far is live concerts, but man they look killer. Caught some Tom Petty, Macy Gray, Jameroqui (sp?). I've only had it a week, but it seems to be a great channel.
Old 07-30-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Ha Ha....oh man MTV sucks....

Originally posted by Mopower
So I'm watching MTV2 because they are showing rock videos and that is the only time they aren't showing crap. The video for 45 by Shinedown comes on. But the song is named "Staring down.." And when the song gets to "I'm staring down the barrel of a 45.." they changed it to "I'm staring down the (edited out) of a (edited out)." Do they seriously think someone is going to shoot themselves or someone else if they hear 45 or barrel in the video? They don't edit it out on the radio version. What's the point? MTV is seriously lame.
well the good news (sort of) is that they now don't edit gun references to the song "sing for the moment" by eminem, and "loser" by beck is mostly uncut.
Old 07-30-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That band played on Conan which was on Comedy Central and they played the song unedited
Old 07-30-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
Beavis and Butthead reruns on MTV2.
Old 07-30-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by j123vt_99
That band played on Conan which was on Comedy Central and they played the song unedited
also, 45 is defently not the worstly edited songs on mtv
"last resort"
*** my life into pieces, this is my last resort, ********** no ********* don't give a **** if i *** my *** *********. if i **** my life tonight, chances are that i might mutilation out of sight, contemplating *******.
uncut lyrics
cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort, suffication no breathing, don't give a **** if i cut my arm bleeding. if i took my life tonight, chances are that i might, mutilation out of sight, contemplating suicide.

why play the song if they are going to cut it up so much?
Old 07-30-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
that Maroon 5 video for "This Love" I remember when it first aired, it was played in its original form. when I saw it later on the part where the singer and the girl are making out somewhat, its all replaced by flowers shooting everywhere. did MTV edit that or something?

sorry to get off topic editing sucks
Old 07-30-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by asianxcore
that Maroon 5 video for "This Love" I remember when it first aired, it was played in its original form. when I saw it later on the part where the singer and the girl are making out somewhat, its all replaced by flowers shooting everywhere. did MTV edit that or something?

sorry to get off topic editing sucks
also they cut the line "kept her cumming everynight" and "stick in my fingertips"
Old 07-30-04, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Meatpants
b&b reruns are the only thing that makes mtv2 good
Old 07-31-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's just the ridiculous nature of the current political climate in this country right now.

Old white men put programmers in a bind by forcing them to edit even the most harmless songs.

I imagine it makes them feel like they're doing something
"for the kids" in the United States. You know kind of keeping them out of trouble.

BTW - On some cable systems there is a channel called Mtv Hits. I was amazed because it's ALL videos with NO commericials 24 hours a day.

Granted you're tolerating Britney mixed with Usher mixed with Korn and 50 Cent etc.

But at least you get to see all the outrageously expensive videos in a row with no commercials.
Old 08-01-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey

BTW - On some cable systems there is a channel called Mtv Hits. I was amazed because it's ALL videos with NO commericials 24 hours a day.

Granted you're tolerating Britney mixed with Usher mixed with Korn and 50 Cent etc.

But at least you get to see all the outrageously expensive videos in a row with no commercials.
i just got this station. now ,is there a such thing as mtv rock?
Old 08-01-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I don't think so. I get MTV Hits, MTV Jams, VH1 MegaHits, VH1 Country, VH1 Classic, VH1 Soul - all are commercial free.

The other night I caught the most ridiculous edit ever. The line "I eat 'em raw like sushi" is now edited out of "Rico Suave".
Old 08-01-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by William Fuld
I don't think so. I get MTV Hits, MTV Jams, VH1 MegaHits, VH1 Country, VH1 Classic, VH1 Soul - all are commercial free.

The other night I caught the most ridiculous edit ever. The line "I eat 'em raw like sushi" is now edited out of "Rico Suave".
well that probably is a double pun, so i guess i understand the edit.