DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Rescue Me - 07/28/04 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/377281-rescue-me-07-28-04-a.html)

B.A. 07-28-04 09:02 PM

Rescue Me - 07/28/04

"Gay"

Spoiler:
A retired firefighter makes a public claim that several firemen who died on Sept. 11 were closeted homosexuals; Tommy dislikes his estranged wife's new boyfriend.

Cast: Denis Leary, James McCaffrey, Andrea Roth, Michael Lombardi , Jack McGee, Steven Pasquale, Daniel Sunjata, John Scurti.
Director(s): John Fortenberry, Jace Alexander, Adam Bernstein.
Producer(s): Peter Tolan, Jim Serpico, Kerry Orent.

Original Airdate: July 28, 2004.

Gil Jawetz 07-28-04 09:19 PM

I'm Mr. No Info post tonight (see the Amish thread) but I'm watching this right now and it's really good. And really accurate, I gotta say.

Geofferson 07-28-04 10:09 PM

This is a surprisingly good show. Leary has a knack for creating intriguing characters (re: The Job) and supporting players. Great music selection in tonight's episode too. :up:

B.A. 07-28-04 10:10 PM

I liked this ep, even though I missed some of it because the dog puked on the dining room carpet. -ohbfrank-

They did a good job w/ the exchange between him and his wife when they were discussing her moving away from NY w/ the kids.

And the the stupid sonofabitch who waxed his balls. rotfl

Great mix of drama and comedy - I think FX has another hit on its hands.

B.A. 07-28-04 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
Great music selection in tonight's episode too. :up:
I was going to say that - the music in each ep has been pretty damn good so far.

birdseye 07-28-04 10:39 PM

I thought this was another good episode. The guy who waxed his balls was pretty funny. It was interesting to read in tv guide a week ago that Jack McGee, who plays the Chief, is a FDNY alum in real life. I wasn't very suprised by that though because he seems to play the part perfectly.

mikehunt 07-28-04 10:54 PM

ouch. waxing the balls?
morons. razor works fine with no pain

MrX 07-28-04 11:52 PM

Solid episode.

The dead cousin didn't get on my nerves like last time some more funny stuff in the fire house.

Leary's chinese food line at the scene with the burnt wife has me rotfl

MrBob 07-29-04 10:56 AM

I liked this one better than the first, though both were good episodes. I told my dad about this series because he is a fireman, and he told me that the guys at the station were also recommending the program to him. Unfortunetly I don't think he was able to watch it, because he had a fire meeting.

But this is good stuff and I'll continue to watch.

Phil L. 07-29-04 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
Great music selection in tonight's episode too. :up:
Yup great show!

What is the opening song? I think it's by the von bondies but what is the title?

birdseye 07-29-04 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Phil L.
Yup great show!

What is the opening song? I think it's by the von bondies but what is the title?

Yeah, it's C'mon C'mon by the Von Bondies.

Phil L. 07-29-04 02:31 PM

Thanks.

I shoulda guessed that title.

Deftones 07-30-04 02:06 AM

Man, this show is good. If FX keeps this up with original programming, they'll soon be light years ahead of everyone else. :up:

Chew 07-30-04 06:38 AM

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Man, this show is good. If FX keeps this up with original programming, they'll soon be light years ahead of everyone else. :up:
Well, except HBO that is :)

Red Dog 07-30-04 07:51 AM

Very entertaining show.

Red Dog 07-30-04 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Chew
Well, except HBO that is :)

This show (assuming this level of quality is maintained) puts F/X ahead of HBO in my book. F/X has the 2 best shows on TV in Nip/Tuck and The Shield. This is a strong offering. All I watch on HBO is Sopranos, Deadwood, and Entourage. Plus F/X has another potentially strong drama on the way with Thief starring Andre Braugher.

das Monkey 07-30-04 09:07 AM

*sigh* Don't blame us for your poor taste. :D

<i>The Wire</i>, <i>Six Feet Under</i>, <i>Carnivale</i>, <i>Curb Your Enthusiasm</i>, <i>On the Record</i>, <i>Def Poetry</i>, <i>Da Ali G Show</i>, <i>Real Sports</i>, and then there's that whole movie thing they do better than most theatrical releases. Don't get me wrong ... FX is really trying to cement itself as second place here, but let's not get silly now. :)

As for the episode, I'll be honest ... I thought the premiere was a little too full of itself. It was enjoyable, but it just felt way too self-aware for me. I thought they found their tone much better this week, and I really enjoyed it. I hope they can keep this up.

das

Red Dog 07-30-04 09:33 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey

<i>The Wire</i>, <i>Six Feet Under</i>, <i>Carnivale</i>, <i>Curb Your Enthusiasm</i>, <i>On the Record</i>, <i>Def Poetry</i>, <i>Da Ali G Show</i>, <i>Real Sports</i>, and then there's that whole movie thing they do better than most theatrical releases. Don't get me wrong ... FX is really trying to cement itself as second place here, but let's not get silly now. :)

Has nothing to do with taste. Has everything to do with being able to keep one's eyes open during most of those shows. :) Of course, I guess some people just like everything. ;)