TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing - 07/27/04

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Last Comic Standing - 07/27/04

"Wild Card Show", Episode #210.

Viewers are able to cast votes for the remaining comics.

Original Airdate: July 27, 2004.
Old 07-27-04, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing impressive so far. Jay London is the only comic the audience responded to so far, and even his material is pretty stale.

Last edited by jmaxlow; 07-27-04 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-27-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please, make Ant stop.

Take a guess at what his jokes are about?
Old 07-27-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Althought i don't really like them I was very impressed with Corey and Ant.. both had some very funny new material
Old 07-27-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jay London had some good stuff tonight, but those comments between the jokes I think detract from his act. It was kinda funny way back in the auditions, but it actually ticks me off now.
Old 07-27-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't overly impressed with any of them. I don't think any deserve to be in the finals. If pressed to vote for someone, I guess I'd pick Corey, although I think the laughs were just coming too slow.

Bonnie was awful, Glass was mediocre, London had good stuff but I can't stand that schtick in between jokes, Ant was actually fairly good, I'd say he was 2nd best, but I'm just sick of the gay jokes.
Old 07-27-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just give Ant credit for not starting with "Recognize my accent? San Francisco," as he seemed to every other time (including last year's auditions). That's a step in the right direction.

I'm a fan of Jay London's and hope he makes it, but I'm afraid most people don't "get" his style as being funny.
Old 07-27-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I like Bonnie and Todd, but I thought they were very mediocre.

I didn't particularly care for anyone's act tonight. Just as long as Ant doesn't get in - I 'll be happy.
Old 07-27-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No one really stood out tonite in my eyes. Bonnie was awful and everyone else was ok at best. Nice to hear some new material out of some of them though.

A question for those of you that watched the first season: Am I the only one that completely despises this one? The first season was fun to watch, funny people interacting with each other having a pretty good time. I find myself watching the episodes this season just to see who goes on to the next episode, nothing more than that. I don't know if it's just edited really poorly or if all these comics are just that damn boring. Oh well, whatever, just my 2 cents...
Old 07-27-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, no one made me think they really needed to be in the finals. But then, the ones already in the finals haven't set the world on fire, either.

Biggest surprise of the show, Bonnie's makeover! I think she looks better.

CFG!
Old 07-27-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I would pick bonnie cause she has breast.

that is all. everyone was pretty weak tonight.
Old 07-28-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Phuzbox

A question for those of you that watched the first season: Am I the only one that completely despises this one? The first season was fun to watch, funny people interacting with each other having a pretty good time. I find myself watching the episodes this season just to see who goes on to the next episode, nothing more than that. I don't know if it's just edited really poorly or if all these comics are just that damn boring. Oh well, whatever, just my 2 cents...
Last season had some great comics (except the winner) and most of them got along and did interact well (remember hide and seek!).

Off topic:
A few weeks ago I was talking to my brother, and he told me that one of his friends knows Dave Mordahl from growing up with him in Minnesota. Well, this friend of my brother's wrote a screenplay specifically for Dave, with Rich Voss having a smaller part in it. Both Dave and Rich have agreed to be in the movie and it's going to be directed/produced by my brother and sister-in-law. So of course, I'm seeing what I can do to get a small part in the movie.

Now those guys were funny last year.
Old 07-28-04, 01:01 AM

Throughout Ant's set, all I could think about was
Old 07-28-04, 01:27 AM

I don't know if this has been brought up already since I don't follow these threads (or the show) that much, but doesn't it seem like they're copying things from every reality show they can possibly think of? I mean..."The house", immunity challenges, having a villian, the smarmy host, having the villian return in a "shocking twist" after they've been eliminated, alliances, the horrible long drawn out elimination sequences, this season they brought on the American Idol-style auditions and final judging (they're even having a seperate reveal show on thursday), the list goes on. If it had an opening montage with all the comics and their first names falshing by (alternating between color and black and white), I would swear to you that this show was actually created by a cloned army of Mark Burnetts that had come together to form some sort of reality show Voltron.

At first I thought they were doing this ironically, but it's not nearly extreme enough to be a satire (like The Assistant on MTV), but it seems so half-assed that I have a hard time believing they did it in complete seriousness, thinking that copying the other shows would make this one a success. I don't know what their intentions were, but it makes the show hard to watch sometimes.
Old 07-28-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My memory is a bit swisscheesed right now, but wasn't most of that Ant's routine from last season?

das
Old 07-28-04, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

THere's not one person in the house that's having a good time. In the first season Dave, Cory, and Rick were having a great time being the mafiso of the house. But this season, everyone is taking stuff way too seriously. Its like they're all sitting in detention trying not to get noticed untl it's time to leave.

Only Bonnie and Todd were having fun and they were gone in the first two eps.

D
Old 07-28-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Has the comedy scene declined so much that these are the best to offer? No one stood out last night and there was a surprising lack of energy, especially from Corey & Bonnie. Though I despise him, Ant seemed the most prepared for the competition. As for the best of the night, I've got to go with Todd Glass. Cast your votes at www.voteNBC.com
Old 07-28-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Stupid Democrat convention....

NBC here (actually, all the networks here) in Chicago switched to the convention after Ant's performance because the Democrat nominee for Senator was giving a keynote speech.

So, I only got to see 30 minutes of LCS
Old 07-28-04, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Phuzbox
Exactly. If the old bald guy who talked monotone and the young bald guy who had some sort of conflict of interest, were in the house, it would be much more entertaining.
Old 07-28-04, 09:06 AM

Bring on Robert Schimmel!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-04, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
My memory is a bit swisscheesed right now,
Oh boy. There's an 93% chance you're here to make sure Ant doesn't get the Wild Card spot. Everyone do what you can to help das out!
Old 07-28-04, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
Stupid Democrat convention....

NBC here (actually, all the networks here) in Chicago switched to the convention after Ant's performance because the Democrat nominee for Senator was giving a keynote speech.

So, I only got to see 30 minutes of LCS
I know. Now I've got to decide betweeen voting for Todd, who was my favorite going into the show, or voting for Bonnie, who was my favorite of the four I saw.

Stupid convention!
Old 07-28-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was disappointing to see Todd finish so poorly again. His routine was pretty good, but then he closed with a weak joke. He really needs to work on that.

das
Old 07-28-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Bonnie told jokes?
Old 07-28-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I should've checked the thread before watching my recording of this. I can't believe nobody was good enough to just take the spot. Only Ant and Todd seemed to have any energy on stage. If I had to guess I think Corey will win it, but it hurt him to go first with 4 going after him. The main reason I didn't like Corey's act was because I already heard it 20 times. I think if it was the first time it would probably be decent. Todd Glass killed any chance he had with that stupid Cookie Monster bit.

Bonnie's got problems. Seems like the only material she has is why people think she's a bitch. Maybe she should work on that and then find somehting funny to talk about. You guys always complain about Ant being a one trick pony, but this show proved he wasn't alone. At least he had one or two clever jokes in his set. None of the wildcards have a chance in hell against Boden or Heffron. I think there's a big gap between those two and the rest of them. I'd probably put Tammy Pascatelli 3rd until I actually get to hear Kathleen's stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.