Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Dad (now on TBS) -- from the creator of Family Guy -- Discussion Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Dad (now on TBS) -- from the creator of Family Guy -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone else feel the show was going at 100 miles per hour? I liked Family Guy for being fast-paced and non-stop comedy but this just seemed overkill. I liked a few times but i just can't connect with the characters, maybe in time with some changes they can be good. The background story on the fish was good, but seeing him every episode? Overall stilly enjoyable though.
Old 02-08-05, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of laughs. Pretty forgettable.

Basically it's a knockoff of a knockoff of The Simpsons.
Old 02-08-05, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This has potential to be funny. But I'm still more anxious for Family Guy.

The mom in American Dad reminds me of Julie Hagerty from Airplane - especially in the school scene toward the end.
Old 02-08-05, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

M'eh. A few funny bits and having an alien sound like Paul Lynde is good for comedy, but that's about it.
Old 02-08-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Yuck. Family Guy rip-off, but not nearly as funny. I
How can it be a rip-off when its made by the same guy?
Old 02-08-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Set my ReplayTV for it, got half of a Simpsons episode :-(

Anyone know if there's a re-showing of it scheduled?
Old 02-08-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
If there's one constant in the universe: post-Super Bowl programs never start on schedule. I usually add at least an hour.
Old 02-08-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
If there's one constant in the universe: post-Super Bowl programs never start on schedule. I usually add at least an hour.
you mean post-any football game programs
Old 02-08-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pilot
you mean post-any football game programs
Maybe. I rarely watch AFC football, so I don't pay much attention to CBS on Sunday nights. But, Fox seemed to make a change this year: start Malcolm in progress. Therefore, Simpsons did start on time and no padding was needed.
Old 02-08-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
How can it be a rip-off when its made by the same guy?
I'll take that. It's a rip-off because it's almost identical in every facet (except far fewer laughs). Sure, Family Guy was reminicent of The Simpsons, but it brought a slightly different (cruder) take. This just feels recycled, the way some people were accusing John Grisham of rewriting the same book every year for a while when he was really popular. This is just a re-hash.
Old 02-08-05, 09:57 AM

Pilot episodes always suck. Like others have said this started before FG was coming back, so hopefully they've figured out where to go with it since then. I'm more excited about FG returning, but I'll give this one a chance.
Old 02-08-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Replay says it's on again this Sunday, 2/13 at 11:30pm on Cartoon Network.

Also at Cartoon Network on:

2/14 @ 2:30am
2/17 @ 11:30pm
2/18 @ 2:30am
Old 02-08-05, 11:29 AM

From Adultswim.com...

Seth MacFarlane's American Dad debuts Sunday, February 13, at 11:30 p.m. on Adult Swim.

Originally Posted by Ben732
My Replay says it's on again this Sunday, 2/13 at 11:30pm on Cartoon Network.

Also at Cartoon Network on:

2/14 @ 2:30am
2/17 @ 11:30pm
2/18 @ 2:30am
First post and I already look stupid because Ben732 was posting 4 minutes before me.

Last edited by sandwalker; 02-08-05 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-08-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the first episode, it shows some promise!
Old 02-08-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'll take that. It's a rip-off because it's almost identical in every facet (except far fewer laughs). Sure, Family Guy was reminicent of The Simpsons, but it brought a slightly different (cruder) take. This just feels recycled, the way some people were accusing John Grisham of rewriting the same book every year for a while when he was really popular. This is just a re-hash.
and I'll take this one. It's the same way the jetsons were the same as the flinstones. The issue here is that this show was created after family guy was canceled. Seth was trying to carry on the whole family guy style with a new show.

Problem is if family guy failed, why bother with the same format? that's not what I need to answer. But the reason why they are so familiar is because it was right after FG died that this started so that is why they are alike.

My hope is that they change the format or tweak it so that we don't get two shows that are exactly alike.
Old 02-08-05, 06:21 PM

it would be cool if they focused more on the guys job at the CIA. Like 24 or Alias but with Family Guy humor.

that could work.
Old 02-09-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
I have been laughing to myself (yes that's right, to myself) ever since I saw this on Sunday and it's all because of the alien Roger. Just the fact that there is an alien named Roger on the show that's not allowed to leave the house because he's....well....an alien, is reason enough to watch.

Everytime that damn thing spoke I pissed myself laughing because it's so stupid......I loved it and that pecan sandies line never gets old.

Definitely no Family Guy but it is funny stuff
Old 02-09-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Animated sitcoms are a waste of the medium. They do nothing to further the art.
Old 02-11-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heck it was just the pilot and I liked it better than Family Guy. These 2 shows aren't shows that I laugh at but still think are funny..not sure why I don't laugh because I do like them(took awhile for Family Guy to grow on me and only watched it on DVD). I think because there's some sort of joke or sight gag like every 2 seconds so there's not enough time to react and full out laugh.
Old 02-11-05, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's my reaction...'giggle...blink....blink'....kinda boring
Old 02-14-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
I really enjoyed the show. I just got done watching it a 2nd time. I had to catch the replay since I missed the first broadcast too.

Ironically, I seem to remember another show that received poor ratings, bounced around the schedule, and was very funny. And, I tried to catch every episode I could when it was on. Then it got canceled. And then it was released on DVD, and everyone bought it, and word spread that it was funny, and more and more people bought it. And, now the show is coming back on. Yeah, Family Guy.

This show was at least as funny as Family Guy, and that is pretty good. I'll continue watching upto the (apparent) cancellation.
Old 02-14-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
This show was at least as funny as Family Guy...
And that's where you will get amost all of your disagreement. It is a poor imitation of Family Guy, and not nearly as funny. The first episode was a real mess. Maybe it will improve, maybe not. But the Dad wildly discharging a pistol around the home barely touched on funny the first time, let alone the fourth or fifth. It's definitely not anything worth building a series around. When the jokes get stale and repetitive during a 20 minute long premiere episode, imagine how bad will it be by the mid-point of the first season.
Old 02-14-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched this on Adult Swim last night and thought it was VERY funny. I look forward to seeing more episodes, and I do hope they decide to focus on his CIA career more.

And kudos to what IDrinkMolson said. I recall being one of a very small minority that would praise the comedy of Family Guy during its original run on TV while facing blasting comments from so many others. Now, suddenly, Family Guy is on DVD and EVERYBODY loves it and it seems as if the small minority is only the people who hate it. Family Guy got blasted by so many, and even maybe some of the posters in this thread, when it first aired, now it's well loved. I suspect American Dad will too catch on, and I hope it does. I'd love to see this series run for a while.
Old 02-14-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, aside from Roger and his Paul Lynde voice, I didn't really enjoy the show. I figured two viewings would improve it, but it really didn't for me. However, when I watched the Family Guy pilot, the Kool-Aid gag was just about the only thing that made me laugh, so I am not going to give up on this one after one episode either.
Old 02-14-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwing82
Animated sitcoms are a waste of the medium. They do nothing to further the art.

Screw the art and entertain me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.