Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Reccommend me some good TV on DVD to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reccommend me some good TV on DVD to buy

I'm starting to get into shows that I normally didn't watch when they were on TV, but am getting into their sets now. I bought "Sex and the City" blind, and I am so glad that I did. Although there were a few episodes that I didn't really like, and would have liked to have gotten more involved with why they feel and act the way they do, maybe they'll do this in some upcoming seasons. I just purchased season 2 today and I am looking to delving into that puppy later this evening.
With all of that, could someone please reccomend me some good shows that are on TV to buy on DVD?

1) Alias?
2) 24?
3)Sopranos?

I have not seen any of these shows, I llove some reccomendations
Old 07-10-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Shield
Sports Night
Babylon 5
Buffy
Angel
Oz
Alias
Old 07-10-04, 09:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Six Feet Under
The West Wing
Gilmore Girls
Homicide
Old 07-10-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Are you looking for a good show, or a good show that is also packed with extras?
Old 07-10-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Farscape (You absolutely can't go wrong with this)
Dark Angel
Monk
Dead Like Me
Dead Zone
Buffy/Angel

Finally, not a TV series, but Band of Brothers is some of the best TV on DVD you're likely to find.
Old 07-10-04, 10:27 PM

Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Chapelle show, Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Old 07-10-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

By the end of this thread, you will probably have recommendations for just about every set there is out there. But for every show out there that someone loves, there is also someone who hates it with a passion (and that someone might turn out to be you).

You might be more successful if you tell us what types of shows and/or movies you already like. For example, if you like movies with nail biting twist a minute high paced, adrenalin filled action, you might like 24. Then again, if you hate movies with plot holes, contrivances, and obviously implausible events, you might hate 24. There are many here (like you) who love Sex in the City. I can't stand the show myself. See what I mean??

Better yet search this forum for other threads that describe the shows. There are plenty who have asked the same question you did. I think you will be more likely to end up with something you like by seeing some descriptions rather than lists.

just my .02
Old 07-10-04, 11:46 PM
Banned

Thanks, Moocher

I love all sorts of stuff on TV. I love shows that are nail bitters but I also like shows that have good plots. I don't care if something isn't plausible or not, because the main reason I watch TV is to get my mind away from everything and just enjoy a good show that's funny(hence my liking for Sex and the City).
I am not big on Explicit violence, that's my only real issue. Langauge doesn't bother me too much, and sexuality doesn't bother me, but shows that are particularly violent are ones that I would want to avoid. I also don't like things that focus on death. I love science fiction types of shows, I also love shows that are very cerebral and make you think(some of my favorites).
If anyone could provide a list based on what I have mentioned I'd appreciate it
Old 07-10-04, 11:50 PM
Suspended

Bleh, just NetFlix them 1st, then buy the ones you're gonna watch more than once. I don't know, TV series just don't have the high replay value as movies.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the DVD talk section?
Old 07-11-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Firefly
Buffy
Angel
Alias
Dead Like Me
Gilmore Girls
Mr. Show
The Tick
Chappelle Show
Old 07-11-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Young Ones
Twilight Zone
Dead Like Me
The Outer Limits
Kids In The Hall
Bottom
The Office
Father Ted
Twin Peaks
Northern Exposure
Strangers With Candy

Last edited by Burnt Alive; 07-16-04 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-11-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my staple answer to threads like this:

Sports Night
Old 07-11-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sopranos - Season One --awsome season. Great story arc. You'll likely want the rest of the seasons after seeing this and they're great too, but Season One is simply superb and almost stands on its own.

Homicide: Life on the Street --If you want to see the best detective show ever, look no further. Great characters with great dialogue- sometimes the crimes are almost secondary. Oh and Andre Braugher in "the box" with a suspect = some of the best moments ever on TV.

If you liked Sex and the City, and are tired of the endless parade of boring sit-coms on network TV and want something better, look for Coupling (the BBC version, duh!). Only 6-9 episodes per "season" so it's cheaper to get into compared to other sets, and it's guaranteed at least one laugh out loud moment in every episode.

Lots of other great sugestions in this thread too. I could list a lot more, but I wanted to justify a few of my favorite suggestions rather than spit out a list from my Guzzelfish stats.
Old 07-11-04, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
I have a lot of tv shows, and for me the ones I get the most use out of are Farscape and The Black Adder.

I like Farscape because it's got huge story arcs and a lot of action. Even though it deals with heavy subjects, it manages to stay refreshingly lighthearted and funny, a trait that puts it slightly ahead of my other scifi favorites (Babylon 5 and Star Trek Deep Space Nine). The DVDs have a lot of extras, although I do wish they'd bothered to put in English subtitles. These DVD's are a little expensive, but don't pay mall prices--they're not that bad at deepdiscountdvd.com or used on ebay. I watch my set once a year, and loan it out frequently. Basically, everyone who has borrowed the first season has asked for the other seasons very quickly (amazing how fast some people get through this show).

The other show I watch over and over is The Black Adder. There were four regular seasons of this and all follow "the Black Adder," a scheming social climber played by Rowan Atkinson through history. Series one is set in the middle ages, two during Queen Elizabeth's reign, three during the Regency period, and four during World War I. They all come in one box set, but you can't really judge the show by the first year, which was more slapstickish and Mr. Bean-like than later years. (I recommend Mr. Bean too--not as funny as The Black Adder, but a great show to watch with children since it is so slapstickish).

Other worthwhile shows:

Six Feet Under
The Shield
Sports Night (I'm probably the only person who liked this show but -didn't- like The West Wing)
The Sopranos
Firefly
Buffy
Angel

Someone suggested Netflixing tv shows, but I think that's much more expensive than buying and reselling. TV shows take so long to watch, that they can end up costing a month or more in rental fees. If bought used, you can resell them and only be out the shipping fees--or heck, buy them at a bargain and make a small profit in selling them back.

tasha
Old 07-12-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would suggest Netflixing as much as possible. That is how I discovered The Shield, Coupling, Buffy and Alias

Freaks and Geeks - Excellent show!
South Park
Simpsons
X- Files
OZ
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Friends

Last edited by rfduncan; 07-12-04 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-12-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Dalvin

I am not big on Explicit violence, that's my only real issue. Langauge doesn't bother me too much, and sexuality doesn't bother me, but shows that are particularly violent are ones that I would want to avoid. I also don't like things that focus on death. I love science fiction types of shows, I also love shows that are very cerebral and make you think(some of my favorites).
If anyone could provide a list based on what I have mentioned I'd appreciate it

I would stay away from Oz then, even though it is one of my favorites. If you take out shows focusing on death, that virtually eliminates all cop dramas and there are a lot of good ones out there (Homicide, The Shield, CSI, Boomtown - coming out next week).

My top recommendations:
Nip/Tuck
Coupling
Simpsons
South Park
Old 07-12-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Angel
Old 07-12-04, 03:09 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Bleh, just NetFlix them 1st, then buy the ones you're gonna watch more than once. I don't know, TV series just don't have the high replay value as movies.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the DVD talk section?
Maybe you're the one in the wrong forum. "Don't have the high replay value as movies"?? Blasphemy!!
Old 07-12-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate television but Horatio Hornblower is better than 90% of the stuff everyone here has mentioned, & nobody has even recommended it.
Old 07-12-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I also love shows that are very cerebral and make you think(some of my favorites).
There are alot of good recomendations above, so Ill give you some new ones that deal specifically with the above statement

The Prisoner
I, Claudius
Band of Brothers
Old 07-12-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
I hate television but Horatio Hornblower is better than 90% of the stuff everyone here has mentioned, & nobody has even recommended it.
It's funny you should mention this show. A friend of mine is currently crushing on that Ioan bloke and is getting ready to give the show a try. I never even heard of the show until 3 days ago. Whats it like? Is there a show you could compare it to? I'm thinking about giving it a go myself.

And regarding Farscape, never ever eat while you're watching the show. The Henson co loves their bodily fluids.
Old 07-12-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by boredsilly
It's funny you should mention this show. A friend of mine is currently crushing on that Ioan bloke and is getting ready to give the show a try. I never even heard of the show until 3 days ago. Whats it like? Is there a show you could compare it to? I'm thinking about giving it a go myself.
Can't really compare it to any TV shows b/c I don't really watch any TV & I very much doubt there are any shows like it.

Probably the closest thing to compare it to would be the movie Master & Commander: Far Side of The World. Especially the first episode called "the Duel". Very much about what life was like on the seas during the time period. Ioan Gruffod is very good in it.
Old 07-12-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Sopranos (Crime Family)
Band of Brothers (War)
Old 07-12-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Six Feet Under
Babylon 5
Angel
Dead Like Me
Alias
Old 07-12-04, 11:27 PM

Roswell - Season 1 is out now
Roswell - Season 2 is out in 4th quarter

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.