DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Ken Jennings breaks all Jeopardy records. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/370529-ken-jennings-breaks-all-jeopardy-records.html)

Bust 06-18-04 07:08 PM

Ken Jennings breaks all Jeopardy records.

Link

Anyone else been watching this? This guy is amazing. He's almost broken the single game record ($52,000) a couple of different times, and has completely shattered the total money record.

Ken Jennings of Salt Lake City, Utah Soars Past Previous Records. Total Winnings To Date: $376,158

(CULVER CITY, CA) June 17, 2004 - On Jeopardy!, a Utah man continues to break records as the show's longest-running undefeated champion. With an impressive $376,158 already in the bank, Ken Jennings, 29, makes his twelfth appearance on the show Thursday, June 17. A revised rule change, introduced in the Fall of 2003, lifted Jeopardy!'s five-day win limit, allowing contestants the opportunity to continue amassing winnings as long as they remain victorious.

Jennings, a software engineer from Salt Lake City, graduated from Brigham Young University with a B.S. in Computer Science. He cites film and hiking as favorite pastimes outside of work. Jennings and his wife, Mindy, are the proud parents of a baby boy.

The previous Jeopardy! record holder, Tom Walsh of Washington D.C., won seven shows and earned $184,900 in January 2004.

Since this press release, he won Thursday and Friday (today) and is at about $440,000.

Wow.

costanza187 06-18-04 07:42 PM

Yes, I have been watching this, this guy is amazing, he is kicking major ass... Its going to be cool seeing how much this guy can win.

Bust 06-18-04 07:44 PM

He's going to want to go home, eventually...

Goldberg74 06-18-04 08:19 PM

He's a nerd. A smart rich nerd.

Bust, I think the record is $55,000, but man I saw that episode and he was so close.

But that is a nice chunk of change.

I wonder who is going to buy the movie/tv/book rights?

chrisih8u 06-18-04 08:24 PM

I'll have to remember to tivo this on Monday.

Bust 06-18-04 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
He's a nerd. A smart rich nerd.

Bust, I think the record is $55,000, but man I saw that episode and he was so close.

Could be. Whatever it is, he will probably break it.

He could have broken it twice on Final Jeopardy without even risking losing. He's so far ahead of the competition, he has like $38,000 and the closes person has $5,000. He could risk $27,999 without risking losing and smash the record, but he risks like $12,000 to hit $50K evenly. What a douche bag. GO FOR THE RECORD KEN!!!

FuzzyBallz 06-18-04 08:49 PM

That guy's a freaking robot. He's an escaped experiment from JPL.

Who cares if he's a douche bag? He's making huge sums of money! Ok, I hate him now. Somebody should shock his robot ass w/ an electric gun and fry his circuits.

BDB 06-18-04 08:57 PM

That's pretty cool.. Nice earner for him there, and no doubt he'll be on all the talk shows when the run is over.

FuzzyBallz 06-18-04 10:13 PM

Then he's gonna write a book and earn a couple more million. Damn that guy.

You think he's gonna break the million dollar mark? And when will a David appear to slay this cocky bastard?

Abranut 06-18-04 10:30 PM

Aren't these records slightly tainted by the fact that Jeopardy pretty recently doubled their question cash values?

So, this record would only stand for the past couple of years...

Tom Banjo 06-18-04 10:32 PM

I've been watching when I get the time this past week. He won his 13th show tonight... total winning are ~$440,000 so far.

costanza187 06-18-04 10:45 PM

How do you think his run will end?? Will he be asked to leave? or will he eventually get over-confident in final jeopardy and just bet too much?

or maybe just have an off day.... but the way he is blowing people away, i dont see that happening.

Shilex 06-19-04 12:18 AM

Even when this guy isn't sure about the answer, he still gets it right! I had thought that the five day rule was still in effect so I didn't watch Jeopardy after he won the fifth day. Then, about four days later I see him on and I'm thinking "I wonder why Jeopardy is re-running shows that were just on a few days ago". This guy knows way too much useless stuff. He's gonna crack one day. :)

Jadzia 06-19-04 10:43 AM

That would be funny if he finally misses a question about the movie "Marty". :lol:

conscience 06-19-04 10:53 AM

Been watchin.

Geek.

Rich though.

:D

Meteu185 06-19-04 11:15 AM

Two words:

Twenty-One.

Jeraden 06-19-04 01:18 PM

If he goes on long enough that he gets bored, he should try to double his money on every Daily Double.

Shilex 06-19-04 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Meteu185
Two words:

Twenty-One.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that too. Maybe he's got some kind of ear device that's feeding him the answers, or he hacked Jeopardy's question list. :)

SFranke 06-19-04 01:58 PM

I bet he even knows his own social security number.

Michael Corvin 06-19-04 03:14 PM

Are you kidding? He probably knows MY social securitty number.

Originally posted by Shilex
I had thought that the five day rule was still in effect so I didn't watch Jeopardy after he won the fifth day.
That is new this year. No limit.

Funny, I saw him on wed. for the first time with my mom. Amazing. I told her though usually when they are this good, they generally don't know squat about sports. Sure enough on Fri. there was a NFL Super Bowl category, he got the $200 one but was lost on the rest.

Nighthawk 06-20-04 12:58 AM

I think the reason he is kicking ass is that he buzzes in for almost every question.... even if he doesn't know the answer right away, just so he can be the first to answer. You can see him pause quite often and think after he buzzes in. The guy still knows an amazing amount of shit that would probably be useless outside of Jeopardy.

djbrown 06-21-04 09:00 AM

He could have lost in his 2nd or 3rd game too. 2nd place person was within range with a correct Final Jeopardy response, and both the 2nd place person and Ken missed the question.

That's been the only time he's been beatable entering FJ though. He posts over at TelevisionWithoutPity.com and seems like a cool dude.....

Charlie Goose 06-21-04 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Jadzia
That would be funny if he finally misses a question about the movie "Marty". :lol:
Either that, or on an Audio Daily Double he'll stammer, "Homina, homina.........Ed Norton?"

Red Dog 06-21-04 03:55 PM

I'll have to check it out tonight. I assume he is still the champ, correct?

I remember Tic Tac Dough and how there were some guys who won something like 40 or 50 straight games.

k_lodge 06-21-04 04:14 PM

His losing answer on final jeopardy wil be :

" Who are 3 people that have never been in my kitchen"