Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ken Jennings breaks all Jeopardy records.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ken Jennings breaks all Jeopardy records.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
I doubt it'll be anything dramatic. He seems like a good natured guy. He had to know it was going to end eventually. I just hope he gets to a million but I doubt it.
Old 07-05-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
7/7/04 result:

Spoiler:
True to form, no surprises, Ken wins again.

I thought it was kind of funny during the meet the player's segment, where Ken said his boss was explaining his prolonged absense from work due to his baby being serious ill. You'd think his bos could have come up with a better excuse then that. I'd be pretty pissed off if I spent a few weeks thinking a co-worker had a seriously ill baby, only to find out it was bullshit.
Old 07-05-04, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure Ken is really going to NEED a job anymore. But you're right, that would piss me off. And his boss should be the last one covering for his ass. If he's the boss, he's obviously okay that he is gone, he should just tell everyone else to suck it up.
Old 07-05-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he plays his cards right, he could probably retire after this. Or at least take some good time off.
Old 07-05-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truly boring episode today.

For a few minutes I was wondering if the other two were even going to be able to play in the final jeopardy round.
Old 07-05-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Today's was the first of the Ken Jenning episodes I've seen and I wasn't as much impressed with Ken as I was surprised at how incompetent his opponents were.

Not to take anything away from Ken, of course.
Old 07-06-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by calhoun07
If he plays his cards right, he could probably retire after this. Or at least take some good time off.
well, um, he kinda has to LOSE before hes 65 to actually retire.
Old 07-06-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love episodes like todays where Ken mops the floor with the competition. Truly making monkeys of the other two people... What was up with that really big guy?
Old 07-06-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by calhoun07
A million may seem like a lot of money but in the long term it definitely isn't.

After taxes, let's say that he takes home $500,000.

Now, if he invests that money into municipal bonds, he can earn about $25,000 in tax-free bond interest @ 5% (currently, it's less than 3% but since interest rates are going up I'm just assuming 5%). Can one live on that? Absolutely. Is it a comfortable lifestyle, esp. if you have a family? Absolutely not.

Let's say that he invests it a lil bit more aggressively (via equities or something else) and earns 10% a year (he'll be taxed on any realized income), then he'll get $50,000. He probably won't wanna cash a lot of that out cuz if you sell a stock while holding it for less than a year, you're taxed a higher capital gains rate (your regular marginal tax rate vs. 15% for a long-term capital gain). So he probably doesn't wanna sell anything that he holds for less than a year. If you're in equities, it's much harder to take out a significant amount of money cuz you have to sell the stock even if it might not be the right time to sell it. You could live off of dividend income but at a best case scenario that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2% a year (dividend income is taxable).

Plus, the guy's only 32 so he's still a long way off from typical retirement age (65).
Old 07-06-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Applejack
Truly boring episode today.

For a few minutes I was wondering if the other two were even going to be able to play in the final jeopardy round.

Yeah. Even Ken was stumped more than usual.
Old 07-06-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Applejack
So if two players are in the hole at the end, do they still allow the third player to play final Jeopardy? At that point they've already won, but I assume they would give them the chance to potentially double it.

What would happen if all three were in the hole?
Old 07-06-04, 06:33 PM
Banned

Results for 7-06-2004

Spoiler:

The competition today was non-existent. With one question left in Double Jeopardy, Ken had $22,000, the other male contestant was $-1,200 and the female contestant was at $0. The guy in the red answered the final $1,600 question to bring himself to $+400 for Final Jeopardy. He wagered nothing and missed it, Ken wagered $8000 and missed it also. Ended up with $14,000 and ~$788,000 for his total so far.

As a bonus, after Double Jeopardy was over, Ken just looked at the other two players and laughed at them. I have to admit, I was laughing right along with him. I'm pulling for the million, then I want to see somebody smoke him.
Old 07-06-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bust
Results for 7-06-2004

Spoiler:
As a bonus, after Double Jeopardy was over, Ken just looked at the other two players and laughed at them. I have to admit, I was laughing right along with him. I'm pulling for the million, then I want to see somebody smoke him.

Spoiler:
No he didn't. Only the one guy was out there, and Ken shook his hand and gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder.

BTW, I still have a good feeling about Ken losing tomorrow.
Old 07-06-04, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Spoiler:
No he didn't. Only the one guy was out there, and Ken shook his hand and gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder.

Spoiler:

Yes, he did. You're thinking of after FINAL JEOPARDY, which is way different than Double Jeopardy. After DJ, all the contestants are still out there.
Old 07-06-04, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Spoiler:

Crocker and Bust,

if you really want to know...

Spoiler:
Follow through on some previous posts here and you will know how and when he loses. Hmm, why did I spoiler-tag this.
Old 07-06-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:

Yes, he did. You're thinking of after FINAL JEOPARDY, which is way different than Double Jeopardy. After DJ, all the contestants are still out there.

D'oh!
Old 07-07-04, 01:41 AM
Suspended

Spoiler:
How about you people start using spoiler tags permanently so people don't have to read all the info they already know.

Maybe he'll just take over Alex's spot when he finally leaves.
Old 07-07-04, 06:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're talking about the results of the show after the show has already aired, don't use spoiler tags. Only use spoiler tags if you're talking about some future occurrence... thanks. Otherwise, people get used to just clicking on spoiler tags to read about stuff that's already been aired, and then one day they're going to read something that actually is a spoiler, and get upset.
Old 07-07-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
Is anyone else thinking of that Far Side cartoon? "God is right again! And our current champion, Bob, still hasn't got on the board."

I read about 10 years ago that Jeopardy rigged the categories. If they thought a guy had been on too long, they would choose categories like Romance Novels.
Old 07-07-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Danger

I read about 10 years ago that Jeopardy rigged the categories. If they thought a guy had been on too long, they would choose categories like Romance Novels.

Why would they have to do that given the 5-day limit?
Old 07-07-04, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Static Cling
If you're talking about the results of the show after the show has already aired, don't use spoiler tags. Only use spoiler tags if you're talking about some future occurrence... thanks. Otherwise, people get used to just clicking on spoiler tags to read about stuff that's already been aired, and then one day they're going to read something that actually is a spoiler, and get upset.
Cling,

The show airs at different times in different markets, and I posted the results yesterday after the EST airing here. It's not unreasonable to think that someone on the west coast hasn't seen the episode yet.
Old 07-07-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cling,

The show airs at different times in different markets, and I posted the results yesterday after the EST airing here. It's not unreasonable to think that someone on the west coast hasn't seen the episode yet.

I like when people post the results in spoiler tags. Hopefully I'll be able to tivo the episode where he finally loses.
Old 07-07-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Abranut
Hopefully I'll be able to tivo the episode where he finally loses.
Why not setup a season pass? That's what I did. It will be easy enough to cancel after he looses. I got tired of setting it up to record every night and now I don't have to worry about it.
Old 07-07-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tonights episode
Spoiler:
ken wins with 40,000 even now over 838 thousand dollars
Old 07-07-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I didn't think I'd live to see the day where I'd be able to spot a ERROR on Jeopardy, but it has come! The Jeopardy gurus claimed that the gallbladder was the organ that produced bile, but that's incorrect. The LIVER produces bile just as Ken answered, the gallbladder only stores and concentrates the bile.
Spoiler:
I'm glad Ken didn't lose based on the error, cuz I think that would have been BAD

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.