Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ken Jennings breaks all Jeopardy records.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ken Jennings breaks all Jeopardy records.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by dolphinboy
If you want originality in your late night progamming, you need to watch Leno.
I hear Leno has this new guy, John Melendez, as his announcer. Plucked him right from obscurity!
Old 06-24-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ken's being a ***** and not betting big in final jeopardy even when he's got a safe lead.
Old 06-24-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He won $40,000 today.
Old 06-24-04, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by El Scorcho
I'm too lazy to fly to Hollywood and embarass the guy.
Shows were taped in February...he's already back in his Utah home watching along with all of us. Although he most def now has a much nicer TV than I do
Old 06-24-04, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by Abranut
Ken's being a ***** and not betting big in final jeopardy even when he's got a safe lead.
NOt that I disagree with this strategy (Why should he bet big when he is assured a victory) but I bet that's what eventually does him in.
Old 06-24-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by indianajdp
NOt that I disagree with this strategy (Why should he bet big when he is assured a victory) but I bet that's what eventually does him in.
If you have 35,000 and the next person has 7,000, you can bet 20,999 without the chance of losing. He is not doing this.
Old 06-25-04, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by neiname
If you have 35,000 and the next person has 7,000, you can bet 20,999 without the chance of losing. He is not doing this.
It's been a few years since I've seen Jeapardy, but isn't there a daily prize limit on the show? Any winnings past $35,000 on a single show are donated to charity. If that's true, that could be the reason why he bets so little. There's no incentive to bet big when the upside's a glass ceiling and downside is losing lots of $$$.

Oh, an interesting thing I found on the website. Ken Jennings isn't even close to breaking the record.

Q: Who is the all-time winner?
A: The highest cumulative amount won by a single JEOPARDY! player is $1,155,102 in cash, received by Brad Rutter of Lancaster, PA in 2001-2002.
Old 06-25-04, 12:08 AM

I hear Leno has this new guy, John Melendez, as his announcer. Plucked him right from obscurity!

John was from the Howard Stern Show, He was on it for years!!
Old 06-25-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FloPoErich

John was from the Howard Stern Show, He was on it for years!!
Note the sarcasm in the original post.
Old 06-25-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by keyed
Oh, an interesting thing I found on the website. Ken Jennings isn't even close to breaking the record.
Q: Who is the all-time winner?
A: The highest cumulative amount won by a single JEOPARDY! player is $1,155,102 in cash, received by Brad Rutter of Lancaster, PA in 2001-2002.
Yes, but $1 million of that is from the jackpot of a special Million Dollar Masters event in 2002. An additional $100k was from winning the Tournment of Champions in 2001.
Old 06-25-04, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by DRG
You know, without even stooping to 'fixing' the game, the producers could easily stack the deck in this guy's favor to increase his streak and thus build up the "must-see" quality of the show. Intentionally pick weaker competitors, pick questions and topics they know he's knowledgable about, etc.
I thought this last night when I watched Jeopardy for the first time in 10 years just to see the guy. The final jeopardy question was about movies, and Trebek informs us that Ken is a huge movie fan.

Any one else think they could be helping out to boost the ratings?
Old 06-25-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by redinger
I thought this last night when I watched Jeopardy for the first time in 10 years just to see the guy. The final jeopardy question was about movies, and Trebek informs us that Ken is a huge movie fan.

No-brainer. Of course they're stacking the deck. This is the most attention Jeopardy has gotten in years. They'd be fools not to. I'm not talking about overt cheating - just ... smoothing the road.
Old 06-25-04, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Abranut
This was Ken's response to a similar comment made to him at the TelevisionWithoutPity.com boards:

So, when the outcome of the game is no longer in question, you're essentially betting your own money. Let's say some guy comes up to you on the street with a trivia question about, say, New York governors. He wants you to put up $10,000 of your own money on the answer. Do you take it? Even if you think you're pretty good at this kind of thing, do you really want to risk lots of your own money, money that would otherwise be yours to keep, on the question? Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on your confidence in the category, how badly you need the money, and lots of other variables.

No offense, but viewer frustration is about the last consideration that should be going through your mind.
Old 06-25-04, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by mgbfan
No-brainer. Of course they're stacking the deck. This is the most attention Jeopardy has gotten in years. They'd be fools not to. I'm not talking about overt cheating - just ... smoothing the road.
Not sure if they are stacking the deck.. They do tape 5 shows a day, twice a week. So, Ken's only on his FOURTH day of taping. I'm sure they figure out the categories/FJ questions beforehand. Who knows, though.
Old 06-25-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by redinger

Not really. In one of his early games, he opposed an African American man, and two of the categories in DJ were "Soul Food" and "African American Women".

The guy is quick, smart and extremely knowledgeable about every topic imaginable.
Old 06-25-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by djbrown

The guy is quick, smart and extremely knowledgeable about every topic imaginable.
... until the inevitable "Female Anatomy" topic comes up.
Old 06-25-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or common sense category
Old 06-25-04, 05:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-25-04, 05:04 PM

6/25/04 results:
Spoiler:
He won again today. Not by much. One guy lost by about 4,000.
Old 06-25-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by djbrown

except for the before mentioned Super Bowl category.
Old 06-26-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they should make him host of the show
Old 06-28-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
afaik, they film 10 episode in two days, take a 2 week break and film the remaining 10 episodes over two days. So, 4 days work a month.

Tough life.
Alex said the other day (don't remember which, last thursday or friday maybe?) that he's seen Ken for like 18 days now or something, which would indicate that it's filmed one per day (shrug) ...then on friday he said something like "you get to drive home this weekend and be back monday" ..maybe they don't do multiple shows per day..don't know..
Old 06-28-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's more a matter of them knowing that we see them once a day and they make their banter to fit our schedule. It wouldn't make much sense for him to say, "ok ken, now go change your suit and i'll see you in an hour..."
Old 06-28-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
that guy friday had balls on that daily double
Old 06-28-04, 05:59 PM

[edit]Heh heh... turns out this is not even remotely close to a spoiler at all, but I'll leave it up for posterity's sake...

[dumb comments following]
If you look on the Jeopardy webpage, it has a listing of "this week's contestants". Ken, of course, is one of the contestants listed. What I think is interesting is that for this week, there are 11 people shown. Five shows, 2 people who lose to Ken each show... that makes 10 contestants, plus Ken... eleven!

If Ken had lost sometime this week, there would be three new contestants on the next show, so there would be at least 12 contestants, right?

That is, unless Ken loses on Friday...

Jeopardy contestant list

Last edited by Hoonster; 06-28-04 at 06:46 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.