Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Well, I did it. I dropped cable... too much $ for too little.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-17-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the last 9 months our basic expanded cable package with TimeWarner Cable ballooned from $29.99 to $54.99, and even though we also have RoadRunner Cable Internet, they offer no package deals.

We were getting channels 2-99 (about 50 channels) on a simple analog connection for that price.

So we called them and they cut us off (we kept the internet). As the cable guy left he asked us if it was because it was so expensive, and we said 'yes'. He was a little bitter as well, and when I mentioned switching to a dish, he replied that that was a better deal anyway. I love it when the worker bee is peeved at the hive.

Its a good thing that we are taking a 5 week road trip, but then when we get back at the end of July, we'll be calling up DirecTV and getting that and a TiVo. For around $60 we can get a 3-room DirecTV system, with one TiVo and local channels as well. Plus we wanted to wait until the season was over.

Luckily, through the internet cable we can still be NBC, UPN, Golf, Bravo, HGTV and a fuzzy Sci-Fi!

Here's a to high cable, and a to satellite.
Old 06-17-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with that. I could probably drop the cable if I found some other means of entertainment, but right now there isn't much going on. Besides when I split the price with my roommates it doesn't really add up to much.
Old 06-17-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never regretted switching to DirecTV (3 years ago). As long as they keep their prices normal (they've gone up some but not TOO much), I would never think of using anyone else. I did, however, drop HBO the day after the Deadwood season finale, and I'll just add it again when a show I like starts up again. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision.
Old 06-17-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would have switched to DirecTivo years ago, but I only get billed for my basic cable package ($9.99/month), so I don't want to mess up a good thing.
Old 06-17-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only thing that sucks about DTV (which is probably true about cable as well) is that they don't offer small enough packages. I have to pay $40+ a month for 150 or whatever channels, but I only regularly watch about 10 of them. And several of those ten are networks, which I have to pay extra for.

DirecTivo is friggin sweet, though.
Old 06-17-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.A.
I would have switched to DirecTivo years ago, but I only get billed for my basic cable package ($9.99/month), so I don't want to mess up a good thing.
We had that when we were up in college in Northern Utah, but not down here... basic cable isn't even offered (you have to ask for it), but for the channels we wanted we started at $29.99 over a year ago, then it slowly crept up to what it is now. Basic digital cable is $60 and with their DVR is $72+.

Can't wait for the TiVo...
Old 06-17-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you want internet access through Charter, you have to at least get basic cable - for some reason (and I refuse to complain) they only charge us for the basic cable. Why mess w/ a good thing?
Old 06-17-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
You're emulating Bandoman?
Old 06-17-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.A.
Speaking of which... When I called to cancel my cable 6 months ago, they promptly took my cancellation order and lost it. When I called to complain about receiving my next bill, they stopped billing me for it.

Idjits. I've only been watching DVDs ever since. Really.
Old 06-17-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh, man.

The Bay Area may be super-expensive in a lot of areas, but our basic cable package thru Comcast is a steal.

For 13.99, you get all the networks PLUS:

MSNBC
CNN Headline
E!
Discovery
HGTV
Comedy Central
TV Land
Travel
Food Network
TBS

And that's just basic. You really don't need anything more, imho.
Old 06-17-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the 2-79 (or whatever the high numer is) package right?
Old 06-17-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

In over 10 years I've never seen any good reason to have cable, mainly because I've NEVER seen a cable system that delivered every channel with perfect reception, and besides that most of the channels show commercials and paid ads/infomercials; if I'm paying to watch them I shouldn't have to put up with that crap. Plus almost every channel has an onscreen logo too, which is ENTIRELY unacceptable- you'd have to pay ME to watch anything with that!
I was getting free cable about 2 years ago since I moved into a place where the last tenant never had it shut off, and even for free I couldn't find a single thing to watch. Most channels had onscreen logos, many weren't carried in stereo, I WOULD have liked MTV if they actually showed music videos but most of the time I looked at it I saw either dumb shows like Real World or commercials. When they finally pulled the plug the only thing I really missed was the city's public access channel, but those should really be transmitted over the air as a public service anyways- I still wouldn't pay for cable just to watch it.
Just say NO to cable!!
Old 06-17-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, Time Warner Told me they couldn't offer a package deal with cable/internet because they are made to carry other internet providers on their system and this would give Time Warner and unfair advantage.

So I have their internet but I haven't had cable for some 2 years.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-18-04 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-17-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Copenhagen
That's the 2-79 (or whatever the high numer is) package right?
You got it!

(Actually, I think they may have increased the price to 19.99, but still.....It's the best basic cable package I've ever seen)
Old 06-17-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cable for whatever reason does not seem eager to compete with DirecTv or Dish. In the last year my dad and two sisters switched to DirecTv and they switched a few of their friends over also. Damn, I should work on commission for DirecTv!
Old 06-17-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am seriously thinking about this too. I have a full time job, a girlfriend, almost 600 dvd's, video games, books and tv, not to mention the gym. Something has to go, I simply cannot keep up with it all and it's driving me nuts.
Old 06-17-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Cable for whatever reason does not seem eager to compete with DirecTv or Dish. In the last year my dad and two sisters switched to DirecTv and they switched a few of their friends over also. Damn, I should work on commission for DirecTv!
They are starting to compete w/ DSL though. My brother-in-law was going to switch and when he called to cancel his internet service, they gave him their fastest speed for a lower price. They don't even advertise the speed he's getting, but they are giving it to people who want to switch to DSL.
Old 06-17-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Oh, man.

The Bay Area may be super-expensive in a lot of areas, but our basic cable package thru Comcast is a steal.

For 13.99, you get all the networks PLUS:

MSNBC
CNN Headline
E!
Discovery
HGTV
Comedy Central
TV Land
Travel
Food Network
TBS

And that's just basic. You really don't need anything more, imho.
Wow, that is a good basic cable package. In addition to my networks, I get WGN, TBS, C-Span, C-Span 2, three or four home shopping networks, univision and some other useless horseshit like TBN or something. THe filter they have on my line to allow internet access also allows me to view TechTV, FX ( ) and Fox Movie Channel ().
Old 06-18-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Well, I did it. I dropped cable... too much $ for too little.

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Its a good thing that we are taking a 5 week road trip, but then when we get back at the end of July, we'll be calling up DirecTV and getting that and a TiVo. For around $60 we can get a 3-room DirecTV system, with one TiVo and local channels as well. Plus we wanted to wait until the season was over.
I suggest you seriously consider getting 3 TiVos, you will pay the same amount per month. It might cost you a little extra up front, but it will be worth it.

I wish I had done that. I replaced all of my receivers with Tivos and I'm having to pay extra to run the 2nd line to each location. I might have gotten a better deal if I had done it from the start. Once you have one Tivo, you'll want all Tivos.
Old 06-18-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm moving in a few weeks and I want HDTV in the new place. Got the setup, just can't find a decent deal on it. Like most I only watch a handful of channels. I called the Insight (cable co) and asked if I could just get the HD package (locals + 10 others in HD), they said no. You have to subscribe to their 70 channel digital box as well, which runs $45-$55, then you get the HD box for $5, and then the bonus channels are $8 more. So that is upwards of $70 for maybe 7-8 stations I want. Four of which are locals. Which is completely unacceptable.
Old 06-18-04, 11:17 AM

Re: Re: Well, I did it. I dropped cable... too much $ for too little.

Originally posted by Tandem
I suggest you seriously consider getting 3 TiVos, you will pay the same amount per month. It might cost you a little extra up front, but it will be worth it.

I wish I had done that. I replaced all of my receivers with Tivos and I'm having to pay extra to run the 2nd line to each location. I might have gotten a better deal if I had done it from the start. Once you have one Tivo, you'll want all Tivos.
I agree, I started out with just one and I ended up replacing the other two with Tivo's.
Old 06-18-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cut my cable last saturday. I was getting the standard package at $50/month, plus a digital box + HBO for an additional $15. After Sopranos left, I no longer watch any HBO so it was good to cut that. I also only really watch Comedy Central, Bravo + travel channel, and I can live w/o them, so I told them to cut me down to basic(channels 2-20 at $18/month) but after 6 days the still are giving me the standard package. I know the lady working at Time Warner probably just "forgot" to knock it down to basic. I'm unsure if I'm going to call them to remind them that they're idiots, or just wait til I get my next cable bill and raise some hell. I think I might just call and save myself some yelling.

PS: I also took off cable modem a couple months ago cause they wanted to charge me $45/month + taxes(essentially over $50/month). Personally, I'm in front of a computer all day, I can email/IM at work, so it's not worth it for. It would be nice sometimes(like this weekend), but mostly I don't miss it.
Old 06-18-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would do it but I would miss my internet cable connection way too much. I couldn't go back to dial up and I checked into DirectTV's satellite Internet service (a few years ago) and the prices were astronomical, and you would still need a land line to get and send email. So even my cable bill sucks, in reality it's still cheaper than my cable bill (w/out Internet) and DSL bill and AOL bill were combined.
Old 06-18-04, 02:06 PM

I'm getting rid of cable on monday and getting DSL. My cable bill is $100 a month. When the Sopranos season ended, I was just going to get rid of HBO, but then I'd still be paying $70, with the only thing I care about watching being a MMA pay-per-view every month. So cable is gone on monday, and i'll just pick up bootlegs or download the ppv's i want to see.
Old 06-18-04, 02:07 PM

I called to cancel my digital cable and HBO (just go with standard and my internet). They lady offered me my same cable package for $29.99/month for the next three months. If I did cancel my basic/standard package would have been $38/month, so who am I too argue?

We'll see what happens in three months when I got to cancel digital and HBO again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.